Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumiyyah2000

Need help with a kitchen design ASAP plz

Sumiyyah Balesaria
10 years ago
Hi I have just purchased a beautiful victorian terraced house but it has an awful kitchen which I need done ASAP any suggestion would be very much appreciated please. I was thinking L- shaped getting rid of existing french door having sink there with a large window overlooking the garden, units fridge cooker on left side. And maybe a table on right with double doors to enter garden or a window????

Comments (46)

• Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I would live to have the door ( but new nicer ones!) overlooking their garden but not sure if I could still fit a table in as well. A small table
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also in the right hand corner is a boiler which we can not move due to financial reasons
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dimensions
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hi ! What's in the lobby on the other side of those doors ?!! Can that be incorporated into the kitchen plan ?!?!
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's a very horrible plastic shed (no idea what the previous owners were thinking lol) but its part of the garden and we are thinking of breaking that down to make the garden a bit bigger
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    The current layout looks fine, just needs a cosmetic update.
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not very happy with it and the table is in the way as soon as you walk into the kitchen :(
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    hi - am not in a 3G area right now - can't open your message - hope this posts - will reply when I get back to office !!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I think Dytecture is right, mostly you need a cosmetic update. Surface treatments, such as countertop, flooring, paint, lighting.. these will make your space so much more attractive. If you want a different style cabinet, you can sometimes paint them successfully, or go as far as replacing the doors with a different style.

The drawing you posted shows what looks like a cabinet in the corner where the table is. Is that really there? If so, remove it and move the table over by the window. You could also get a narrower table and put it along the wall, to get it out of the traffic flow.
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you put the kitchen sink at the back window, where would you put the utility room?
  • Drew Robertson
    10 years ago
    I have the same house , but in Toronto . Remove the wall with the French doors. Full height cabinets on one side of the kitchen ( include fridge, wall oven, microwave and either cooktop or sink). Then having the rest of the kitchen completely empt, add a long island with a return on both ends of the counter. Have an overhang on one or both sides of the island with room for 4 -6 counter height chairs. Add either the sink or cooktop and a dishwasher and garbage to the island, and more storage for kitchenware. This will feel open, bright, and clean.
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
  • Drew Robertson
    10 years ago
    ya, that's the idea. I would imagine that the space between the clear wall and the island may be smaller in this particular case as the room is only 10' wide (i believe that is what the drawings says). I would do a 3' wide island with only 2 ' between the clear wall and the island. I will attached a photo of my kitchen (however my kitchen is galley style. if we had a little more room I would have done what I am suggesting. This is a photo before total completion of our kitchen, I couldn't find a final one, sorry.
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your comments
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will have a washer dryer in the kitchen and dishwasher I do not need a utility room I am hoping to have a utility room in the basement eventually
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Warren that's for comments however I do not think I could have an island as the kitchen is quite narrow :( although I wud luv to!!
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sstar93 that is a housed boiler which we can not move it would prove to be way to costly unfortunately
  • Drew Robertson
    10 years ago
    Sumlyyah2000: Our kitchen has 5' between counters and I think it is actually almost too wide. Your kitchen is 1' wider than ours. You could have a 2' wide counter against the wall, a 3' space then a 3' wide counter and a 2' gap to the wall. Or do a 2' wide island with a 4' space to the cabinets and a 2; space to the wall. I feel that often kitchens are way spread out. However, your kitchen is your kitchen. A galley style is your best use of space.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    good morning ! been sitting here looking at the overall plans thinking ... due to the plumbing above too ( the family bathroom ) I think the most cost effective solution to this would be to bring the sink and kitchen cabinets all down to the end not measured as kitchen... have tall cabinets with ovens and integrated FF then the boiler cupboard on the left ... on the right have WD, sink DW and cabinets along left wall then tuning the corner to form an L shape return have induction hob in the end return with funky hood over it - on the other side of this return have the dining table and if you can replace the short lintel for a long one - have the biggest folding sliding doors at the end you can afford ! if at all possible , and it's more expensive but if you can do this you'll be fab, have the small return wall at the top opening too... so the whole corner and back wall opens into a nice decked area that you can take the table onto on sunny days . make sure the deck level is same as internal floor level ! the cheaper option is same kitchen layout with new French doors to replace old ones and same French doors to replace old kitchen sink window ... what do you think of that ?!?!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    or have the 'wet' run ie sink and wet appliances on the right going up to the new French doors where old sink window was - and have return coming off the back of the boiler cupboard and out that way - might flow better now I've looked at the plan again ?
  • parisgirl1970
    10 years ago
    I say--knock out or open up that wall as much as possible, and show off the garden and/or the changing of the seasons. Little glass topped table maybe? Or little one that folds down?
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One plan it sounds very confusing I can't seem to visualise it :s but it sounds nice ??????
  • Drew Robertson
    10 years ago
    Sunmiyyah2000, OnePlan is essentially saying a similar in the initial idea with removing the wall and opening up the view to the back and having a deck area the same height as the kitchen floor ( to make it feel like an extension of the kitchen). The end wall in my house (in the photo i included earlier) used to be small sliding door, I installed a new header to allow for the custom aluminum door wit two sidelights and window above. The entire unit as around $3500. However, I had to do the framing and install myself.
  • PRO
    rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
    10 years ago
    The picture shows more space at right than the 'dimension' plan? Either way, if no need for utility room than open it up and extend the kitchen back with either your egress door to the garden at the very end or a picture window. If a window, you could also add some banquette seating for a great view of the garden as well. The long kitchen with an exterior view will be quite nice. All new cabinets with a counter depth built in fridge will make for a very nice space. Also not sure why you would need a door to the kitchen from the hall stair, open that as well.
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    10 years ago
    I like the galley style kitchen and having the french doors opening to the garden. That's much more pleasing to me than a window looking out at the garden. Plus you have that nice big window by the sink already.

Like some of the above suggestions, I think updating will go a long way. Start with paint. You might then consider refacing the cabinetry to something darker. I like chocolate or java glaze for this space since you get so much natural light. You can learn more about our cabinet refacing services here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/cabinet-refacing-page/

I'd then tile the kitchen floor with a 12x12 tile or slate flooring. Something neutral.

Have an electrician install recessed lighting for you.

Last thing to address would be the counters. I think you should consider granite. We have a wide selection, I think our King Ivory would look great.

Hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Willow Home Projects
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would put a fabulous breakfast nook by the french doors as a priority. You definitely have the room AND you already have more windows on the right wall. Maximize that view and rid of the table that is in your way at the other end. You would have to move the boiler it appears. Shop around for someone who can do it for less expense. Get SEVERAL quotes.
    West Newton Kitchen · More Info
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for your inspiration and lovely comments very much appreciated ...unfortunately I can not move the boiler .my main things are a kitchen table 4 -6 people, washing machine, range cooker, sink, fridge freezer....any suggestions how I could fit this all in and keep the French doors. Also not sure if you can c the pics but there is. Lower window on the right hand side next to boiler..
  • parisgirl1970
    10 years ago
    Can you stack the washer and dryer on top of each other? Or have them moved to another room? My kitchen is so similar, only it turns at the left end for our table and fireplace.. We did tear that similar wall out and we put in a huge deck up like Warrendrew said-- & I can see forever. This part of the room would look huge.. It is worth the loss of the french doors, b/c they visually close your kitchen in here. You see the 'opening up' of your kitchen by doing this- and it's amazing. The kitchen chairs can be a lighter color and style. Try to butt your table up to the wall to keep your set from sticking out and blocking the entrance. A glass kitchen table opens up the whole room, b/c doesn't appear to even be there..I know you love those French doors!-- but the trade off is soooo worth it.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    This is what I meant .... I have emailed you offering a full design service .... Not heard back from you ! Figured you weren't interested !
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One plan I'm very sorry I have not checked my messages yet I have been a been tied up sorry apologies for not responding.
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pairs girl do you have any pics of your kitchen you would not mind sharing ?
  • PRO
    Da-Vinci Designs Cabinetry
    10 years ago
    I also have some great ideas check out our web site and I will work on a plan if you want love small spaces Gene
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Looking at costs I am thinking or re-furbishing temp until next yr any suggestions as to what I could do???? Paint units? Walls? The cooker is damaged so has to go :(
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 years ago
    Looks like a great space to work with! When it gets to that point, if you have any questions about cabinetry or would like to explore design options, feel free to reach out to us :) http://www.cabinetstogo.com/
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Update on kitchen we t fr full refurbishment
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    sumiyyah2000
    Will you post a pic of the utility room and one of the kitchen looking toward the entrance? I so get why you don't want the table/chairs to be at the entrance such a hassle when chairs aren't tucked in, also think that fridge should be moved from entrance...more pics will help to see all the light and space.....
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The white kitchen is the new kitchen
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Im not sure we hav pucs of the old utility room will dig it out n post asap
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Looking good ! Can't wait to see the finished photos !!!
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nearly done justafew finishingtouches pendants tables etc
  • Jen
    10 years ago
    I like the last photo, except put the door where the window is on the right!
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Its done now no changes
  • Sumiyyah Balesaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tableis going there
  • fififiona
    9 years ago
    The best advice I can give you is to hire a professional kitchen designer…preferably a CKD. You are going to sprend a large sum of money and you will actally save money with the right Kitchen designer. This is not a project for DIY. The design is the most important part of the entire process and will save you money in the long run.
  • User
    9 years ago
    @fif look at the original post date.