lpjohnso

Kitchen wall paint color? Pendant lights?

The Vintage Bean
last modified: August 27, 2018

I‘m frozen about my next move and I need your help. What color wall paint would look best with these greeninsh-bluish gray cabinets painted BM Kitty Gray? The original plan was to paint the walls white, but now I’m not so sure.

Are pendant lights needed? Do you think they would improve the space?

Floors will be changed to Flooret LVP in soho (a light oak color). Ceiling is 12' high. Refrigerator will be white. Microwave on countertop will be going away. Faucet will be changed to match champagne bronze hardware. 3 stools will be added to island.

Merci!

• mark_rachel

You don't want anything that will make the space cold. I would look at Edgcomb Gray, Capital White, Sea Pearl, Owl Gray.

The Vintage Bean thanked mark_rachel

New paint color needed & Pendant Lights

second time posting my picture.... I will try to fix in the morning! So annoyed at you IPHONE!

Paint color/ Pendant lighting

I attached below a suggestion for the pendent lights. These are from Uttermost and is available at our store. Our Cost $217.80 with Free Shipping. Sue www.essentialsinside.com Trofarello Silver 1 Light Pendant Light by Uttermost, available at www.essentialsinside.com This modern pendant light features olished nickel rings with brushed swirl inside suspended around a crackled glass globe. Fine Points: Designer: Carolyn Kinder Dimensions: 65 H X 19 Dia. (in) Weight: 16 lbs Wattage: 100W No. of Bulbs: 1 Ships UPS or Freight: UPS

Looking for turquoise colored mercury glass pendant lights for kitchen

I have found vintage cobalt blue mercury glass. Has anyone seen them in a turquoise color???

Have: angled track lighting in kitchen- want: pendant lights

You should do it right. Call an electrician and have him/her re-route the electric above the island where you want your pendants. I bought some a few years ago at Lowe's for less than $10 each. The electrician can wire your pendants to a wall switch. And I highly recommend using a dimmer so you can adjust the brightness. What about lighting for the rest of the kitchen? Do you also have recessed lights in there? If not, now might be a good time to add some and consider under-cabinet lights too, also on dimmers. Do your research before you call someone in. Such as how high to hang the pendants, best placement for recessed, alternatives in under-cabinet lights. Some decisions to make before electrician arrives.
  • The Vintage Bean

Is painting the walls the same color as the cabinets a totally horrible idea?

RL Relocation LLC

This is your second time posting about this. I would still recommend the kichler pendent two of them. Why a white fridge? paint the walls white to open it up in here, plus worst case its a good primer. With the yellow on now, you are frozen because nothing seems to go together. since you plan on changing the floors as well white will be a good neutral start. a stainless or stainless black fridge would be much better.....IMO.

The Vintage Bean thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • mark_rachel

Yes painting the same color as the cabinets is a bad idea.

The Vintage Bean thanked mark_rachel
  • luckyblueeye

White paint, and 2 of these

The Vintage Bean thanked luckyblueeye
  • The Vintage Bean

RL Relocation LLC, this may actually be the 3rd or 4th time I've posted about the pendants since I moved in 7 years ago! Lol! Thank you so much again for your advice and great visual. Much appreciated! :)

• The Vintage Bean

luckyblueeye, that light is divine! Thank you!

• celerygirl

If you check BM painting site,

then Lilly White BM

and Mascarpone BM,

and Barely Yellow BM suggested as coordinating colors for Kitty Gray color.

I suggest to go with one of them.

The Vintage Bean thanked celerygirl
  • The Vintage Bean

I agree those colors would pair beautifully. Thank you, celery girl :)

RL Relocation LLC

that cage light will cast shadows over our work area, I wouldnt want that in my kitchen, tho I love it.

• fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie

I wouldn’t want anything that would catch grease and be challenging to clean like that cage light. Maybe in a foyer...

The Vintage Bean thanked fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
  • The Vintage Bean

Any thoughts on rattan or sea grass pendants?

RL Relocation LLC

that goes the same for the rattan, what and grease trap.

RL Relocation LLC

plus you really dont need visual blockers in this space.

• The Vintage Bean

RL Relocation LLC, I really appreciate all of your advice! I have a request if you’re willing and have the time. Could you please show me a photo of my kitchen with the walls the same color or similar color as the cabinets? I keep fantasizing about it. Actually seeing it may put it to rest!

RL Relocation LLC

That is a terrible idea! SERIOUSLY TERRIBLE!

• J. Appelbaum

I agree! You don't want to do that.

The Vintage Bean thanked J. Appelbaum
  • hummingalong2
    Are you still having a white fridge?, please reconsider if so
    The Vintage Bean thanked hummingalong2
  • Danielle Black
    Do greenish olive khaki and add a few of these
    The Vintage Bean thanked Danielle Black
  • The Vintage Bean

OH MY LORD, RL Relocation LLC!! That IS seriously TERRIBLE! Thank you SO much for taking the time to do that for me and for giving me the confidence to NOT do that!! Wow, I am so grateful!

• The Vintage Bean

hummingalong2, thank you for your comment! The answer is yes, we actually purchased one already, but they are holding it for us until our flooring is completed. Thanks to your and RL Relocation LLC's advice, I may have to see if I can exchange it for stainless steel or black!

• The Vintage Bean

J. Appelbaum, thank you so much for your reassurance that I need to put that wall color choice behind me now!

• The Vintage Bean

I love that pendant, Danielle Black...thank you!

Courtney Thomas Design

We agree on doing a SS fridge if you can get one. We think it will work a lot better in the space. And we think pendants would be a great idea. Here is a suggestion from one of our designs on what might look nice:

Upscale Family Home: Kitchen · More Info

The Vintage Bean thanked Courtney Thomas Design
  • The Vintage Bean

Thank you so much, Courtney Thomas Design! Your kitchen design is gorgeous!

• Matthew S
    Did you have the Flooret Soho lvp installed? If so can take a picture? We would love to see it in the wild.
    The Vintage Bean thanked Matthew S
  • The Vintage Bean

Hi Matthew! Yes, we did and we LOVE them!! Here’s a few pics. The picture in our hall is the best representation of the true color.

Just as a side note and update to this thread, we got a lot of negative feedback about buying a white fridge, but...we have no regrets! It stays so much cleaner than stainless steel.

• bikertoni
    FYI I like the white refrigerator. The gold handles are a nice touch. You are so right about the stainless. I’ve had it for years and spend to much time cleaning as you see every finger print. Enjoy your kitchen as it is very attractive.
    The Vintage Bean thanked bikertoni
  • The Vintage Bean

Thank you so much, bikertoni!

• Matthew S
    I have struggled to choose flooring. At First and for the longest time it was 5” hand scraped hickory hardwood floors. My girlfriend/partner has two young kids and a dog. I quickly learned that I needed something other than hardwood floors if I wanted to keep my sanity. This is when LVP became the front runner. I ordered box after box, but really never liked any of the shades/colors. I was ready to settle with Fresh Oak by LifeProof until I stumbled onto your post. I have ordered a few full size samples. Your pictures have helped tremendously!! Thank you so much!!

Btw-The white fridge is amazing!!
    The Vintage Bean thanked Matthew S
  • lulu bella

your kitchen is lovely! what color wall did you decide on? looks great! and I love the flooring.

The Vintage Bean thanked lulu bella
  • The Vintage Bean

Thank you so much, lulu bella! We went with Sherwin Williams “Classic Light Buff” (SW 0050).

Matthew S, the flooring struggle is REAL! It sounds like we went through the same search and frustration. I’m so happy you found my post and that it helped you so much! You’re so welcome! It’s funny, I was about to “settle” with a LVP that I wasn’t completely in love with, but felt I had completely exhausted every other option in the market, until I saw a YouTube video where the woman had used Flooret. It seemed too good to be true, and I was shocked I had never heard of them before.

We had been living with 5” hand scraped maple engineered hardwood for 6 years, and in that short amount of time it had been destroyed by our 3 young sons and 4 dogs. It was such a disappointment for how much money we spent on it. We knew we did not want to repeat the same mistake. Like you, we started to look into LVP for the durability, but even the good stuff looked fake due to the repeating planks. We also couldn’t find the right color or larger sized planks we longed for. Then, I discovered Flooret. There’s nothing else like it on the market, in my opinion. It has double the wear layer as any other LVP (40mm vs the typical 20mm) and no plank is the exact same due to their constant shifting during the printing process. So, while you may find the same grain/knots, they’re not on the same place on the planks. I know it sounds crazy, but the Flooret vinyl actually looks more like real wood than our real hardwood floors did. Then, there’s the size...extra wide and long, and realistic bevels. Furthermore, say goodbye to scratches from dog claws and worry about the kids’ spills seeping into the seams. The durability and waterproof factor is beyond measure. Not to mention install was a dream thanks to the attached underlayment, and their lifetime warranty.

I hope you love your samples and find the right color that works for you! Flooret is so wonderful and personable to deal with, always answering and returning calls promptly and with extreme friendliness. Please return to this post and let us know how it goes! Best of luck to you!

• Danielle Black
    What pendant did you choose?
  • Current Resident

That particular gray + that white refrig in combination with the golds (ie in floor, ceiling paint color & in faucet/handles) all work together really well. I say that as someone who is not a fan of gray unless its in the right context, with other colors/textures. Not crazy about gray + white +black either - often that combo can look cold or dreary. The touches of gold I think is what gives just enough contrast to make the room seem warm, inviting and alive. The contrast of the warmer colors makes me appreciate the beauty of the gray too - which would be lost had you made the room an unrelenting sea of gray.

Kitty Gray! How can anyone resist a name like that - I want to find something I can paint Kitty Gray (LOL).

The Vintage Bean thanked Current Resident
  • Liz Lemon
    Looking gorgeous! Some pendant ideas if you haven’t picked them yet:
    The Vintage Bean thanked Liz Lemon
  • The Vintage Bean

Danielle Black, unfortunately, my husband and I could never agree on which pendants to choose. So, we're still at a stand still in that department. Liz Lemon, thank you so much for your time and your wonderful suggestions! They are beautiful, and I will definitely be sharing them with my husband.

Current Resident, thank you so much for your kind words! I totally agree about the gold. The color combination really wouldn't have worked without it, in my opinion. The photos I posted don't capture the true depth that is Benjamin Moore's Kitty Gray. It has such beautiful blue/green undertones, which worked perfect for someone like myself who couldn't decide between green, blue, or grey cabinets. Kitty Gray combined them all. And at different times of the day in different light there is a distinctive nod to each color which is delightful. Yes, I hope you find something to paint using this beautiful color!

• flashpolkadot

@The Vintage Bean Thanks so much for sharing pix of Soho installed. I have been floor searching for months now and also feel like Flooret has the best product on the market. I only wish they had more colors to choose from. At first I thought I might want Sutton but now I'm thinking Soho or Lato. Did you consider Lato at all? I'm wondering how it looks in comparison to Soho.

• flashpolkadot

@The Vintage Bean Oh and PS - your kitchen and flooring look AHmazing! I LOVE the white fridge and the floors are perfect.

• megs1030

@The Vintage Bean, just wanted to say I love your kitchen!

• hu1967910

I love your kitchen, too, and especially the white fridge! Way to go!

• The Vintage Bean

Thank you SO much flashpolkadot, megs1030, and hu1967910!

To answer your question, flashpolkadot, we tried all of the light colors including Sutton and Lato! If my memory serves, Sutton was more rustic and had a beige/gray undertone. It also had white coming through all of the grain. Lato was more modern and had more of a consistent color throughout, which is what we were looking for, but it was too light (Almost a white-ish, and we have 4 dogs which include a black lab and feared her black hair would stand out terribly). Soho was perfect for us! I agree that Flooret is hands down the best LVF on the market, but so many people don’t even know about it because it’s not sold in stores! It’s so hard to choose, so I don’t envy you! But if it helps at all, you CAN NOT go wrong with soho! I don’t know the style you’re going for, but I think soho would be best for mid-century, beachy, or clean and modern. However, I must say I own a lot of antiques and I love how they look with the soho. Be sure to share photos of whatever you have chosen after your floors are done!