containertime

Can shiitake grow on Bradford (Callery) Paer

containertime
August 28, 2018

I found a freshly cut Bradford pear log, and wondered if I could use it grow shiitake mushroom. If I could grow on it, would the growth be slower? I read elsewhere that you can grow on Bradford pear if you keep the wood extra moist? Is this true? Any input is appreciated!

Comments (9)

• windberry zone5a BCCanada

What did you decide to do? This https://modernfarmer.com/2018/01/cropped-grow-shiitake-mushrooms/ article says that growing shiitake on fruit tree wood is not recommended, but they don't say why not.

containertime thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
  • containertime

I decided to go ahead and see what happens.

• windberry zone5a BCCanada

Good. I like experimenting, too!

containertime thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
  • K S 8b Seattle

I'm not sure if there is something specific about fruit trees that makes them unsuitable as a medium for mushroom farming (i.e. do they secrete something detrimental to mushrooms?) but I know that hardwood logs are suggested because they are ultra dense in lignin, and so the mushrooms feed off of them longer than a softer wood. So oak logs last a long time, better rewarding the effort you make to inoculate them by producing many crops of mushrooms.

containertime thanked K S 8b Seattle
  • K S 8b Seattle

P.S. let us know how your experiment turned out!

• containertime

Well, I think the pear wood was too hard, so the drill was unable to make a deep hole. The plugs were sticking out of the logs, and even though I waxed them, they still got mold. Overall, I would not considered my experiment a success because the log got infected with mold. Others may have had better luck than me if they used a more powerful drill that could handle the wood.

• K S 8b Seattle

Good to know. What a shame that it didn't work!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

...but thanks for getting back to us.

tj

containertime thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

I grew shiitki on a variety of logs.

I think my success has been because I only use rain water to moisturize the logs. No chlorine, and lots of oxygen in rain water.

dcarch

containertime thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268