Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_makovec

tree covered yard - advice for mediocre lawn

Platypus
5 years ago
When we bought the house, both the front and back yards were configured into gardens around numerous big, old trees. The gardens had gone feral and had taken over every inch. So we pruned the heck out of it for the first year. After that it was clear that we were not going to be able to regain control and that maintaining the number of garden areas was unrealistic. We have very young children.

So I ripped out everything from a portion of the backyard. I want to put down some grass ... not a manicured, beautiful lawn. I would be happy with some grass and weeds that I can mow down as needed and that my kids can play on with bare feet.

I am looking for recommendations for planting my crappy lawn. The area gets very little sun, but appearance is not the goal here. Oh, important to note that I live in Wisconsin where it is definitely cold much of the time.

Thank you for reading this ramble.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

That "the area gets little sun" means you will have the baldest of comb-overs. If too little light, you won't achieve a barefoot lawn, even with weeds, unless you can get the right, low-light tolerant groundcovery weed going.

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

Do the trees form a dense canopy? Some grasses grow in dappled shade but I don't know one that will grow in total shade all day long. I'm no expert so I hope such a grass does exist; a lot of problems would be solved.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    5 years ago

If you like the trees, find alternatives to lush grass that you can live with. If you have to have lush grass, lose some trees. Even if you do canopy thinning to let more light in you'll only get 3-5 years before you need to do it again, and if they don't know what they're doing, a bad thinning job makes the tree more susceptible to wind damage.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Can we have a photo taken on a sunny day?

• Platypus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback. Attached is a picture of the area at around 10 am and a photo of the canopy at the same time.
  • Platypus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also I don’t need lush grass! I can live with redoing it in 3 years ... the kids will be three years older.
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I doubt you will get much grass to grow in that location. Even the most shade tolerant cool season turf grasses (what a WI lawn is comprised of) need at least 4 hours of sun daily to thrive. And that's ignoring the competition the tree roots in that area would provide. Even if you do get it to germinate, it will likely be more bare and patchy than would a lawn grown under better conditions........and not exactly friendly to bare feet :-))

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

It's not a grass-growing area. It's a mulch, weed, paving or groundcover area.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I agree that grass isn’t going to work in this area. What is your goal for use? If we know how you want to use it, suggestions can be made that may work.

• Platypus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The goal is a space to hang out that is relatively easy to maintain. I want a place for a kid play structure as well. Ideas will be appreciated!!
  • Chanabelle
    5 years ago
    I think you may have to pick between the trees and a grass filled backyard. Removing trees at my last house really improved the Sun our lawn received. Also, it meant less raking for my hubby. Win win lol, but I understand if you want to keep the trees.
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

I agree with Chanabelle. However, if you want to try seed give it a go. All you have to lose is the money. The package will say shady lawn mix or something like that. Check Youtube for advice on spreading the seed. Would you consider artificial grass?

• Embothrium
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Surface the rectangular central area with cedar play chips. You could also use sand instead, but if there are ever any free roaming house cats around they are likely to poop in it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Grass is not gonna grow under the shade of big trees. Period. Save your money - grass seed is not cheap. And YouTube is no way to learn how to do any sort of gardening, especially prepping for and spreading grass seed properly. And there is a huge amount of prep and cost involved in the installation of artificial turf. Once in, you're good to go but it costs $$ to get there.

Embothrium has the best idea - define an area, put up some sort of boundary and fill with playground chips. Or shredded rubber mulch. I would probably skip the sand as even if the neighborhood cats avoided it, it is easily tracked indoors and can wreak havoc with wood floors.

• Skip1909
    5 years ago

There are certainly hacks on youtube, but there are some good sources as well. Like the University of Minnesota https://youtu.be/CNJVbZ7hT8k

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Not shredded rubber mulch for a kid surface from my perspective. Who knows what chemicals are in old shredded tires. I would go for Embo’s suggestion for the play area. Other areas can be mulched and/or be planted in shade tolerant low growing plants such as one of the shorter shade tolerant sedges, which look grass, but don’t look good with mowing IMO or hosta or one of the spreading ferns. Plant fairly densely, mulch until filled in, and keep them weeded (not difficult if you attend to it while any weeds are small.)

Or as others have said, remove trees, but this is likely an expensive strategy.

• tdemonti
    5 years ago

Wood chips or mulch.

• Platypus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all for commenting! I need to do more planning before I figure out a path forward. I might do pavers for part of it.
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

If you are looking for a get-me-by, temporary solution that serves partially as paving, and looks is not an issue, some people use used wall-to-wall carpeting that has been removed from a carpet install job. Often, it is used upside down. It keeps weeds down, smooths things out and can last a few years.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I would not recommend carpet. We had to remove some put down by the PO when we moved in, and it was without a doubt the most disgusting thing I have ever done gardening: heavy, wet, and simply oozing with mildew. If you choose to use carpet, use one meant for outdoors. I still find loops of carpet fibers in my garden.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    5 years ago

Carpet made from natural fibers is fine. It just decomposes like any other mulch.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Admittedly, I have not used it or had to pull it up myself. I've seen people use it for several years actually, especially as paths, but in same cases, areas. And it seemed to hold up fairly well for its use. Certainly better than trudging through mud. It might be that it's something you'd take out under certain weather conditions. And maybe even with some kind of equipment or hired help. I'm not recommending it for a first order use, but as a stop-gap solution. I think carpet of all natural fibers would last too short a time, decomposing under foot. Also, if wool it would smell bad. Cotton would take forever to dry.