a few more in the comments

Comments (19)

• signet_gw(6b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is Macklemania

My red seedling . Still bud building

Here is Blue Blast ( never noticed how long the stamens were before on this plant .

waterpocket Fold

This is the unknown red that was supposed to be Rosie Spiketail

Another Seedling

Here is ffo on Rosewitha

Chaotic Design

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Smurfette

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

It’s good you still have some blooms, nothing much bloom wise going on here. My Final Touch is bud building but it hasn’t had blooms for two weeks. Waiting on a rebloom scape of Lee's Loss. Thanks for keeping us entertained!

Sherry

signet_gw(6b) thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

It has been empty here lately, but I guess most are like me with very little left blooming. You still have quite a few. I love Rainbow Maker and Blue Blast, but they all look so good. Nice seedlings. I am curious how your Roswitha does. I have had it at least 10 years, still at 2 fans. The only year it doubled was the 1st year, but this was the best year for blooms it has ever had. Pretty flower still, but it is on its way out.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Nancy 6b
  • signet_gw(6b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sherry , Most of these are almost done but I still have a few plants putting up rebloom scapes so bloom will continue for a while I got called away from the computer while I was posting this and I forgot to add Autumn Minaret

and Marlen Ann

and another one of my seedlings , Here it is now . It starts to bloom when all else is fading . I love it .

. Nancy I had Roswitha before and lost it . Only replaced it last season This is the ffo this season so I really cant say much about it unfortunately. Time will tell if it survives here this time.

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

You have lots of pretties still blooming. Like seeing Making Rainbows, because I have added it. Chaotic Design is quite pretty....love the color. sorry you didn't get Rosie, although the red is very prettty. I like your two-toned seedling.

kay

signet_gw(6b) thanked organic_kitten
  • celeste/NH
    5 years ago

I'm still lurking here while I'm on the mend. I have noticed how quiet the forum is and it makes me sad since I missed out on posting on account of my injuries. I am happy to see you and a few others are still around! I love that you still have quite a few blooming and they all look great. I notice that grasshopper type bug in one of your seedlings and I'm noticing those in mine right now. Favorites are Blue Blast and 10 Cent Wings.

signet_gw(6b) thanked celeste/NH
  • shive
    5 years ago

It's nice that you have so much blooming. My favorites are Blue Blast and Chaotic Design. I also like your red seedling that bud builds and the yellow late one.

Debra

signet_gw(6b) thanked shive
  • Kari 4b Minneapolis
    5 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous daylilies, especially Rainbow Maker!

signet_gw(6b) thanked Kari 4b Minneapolis
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

I'm still here. Your red seedling is nice. It's great that it is a bud builder. Your yellow seedling is putting on quite a display. Late season varieties are much appreciated in our garden. Of the named varieties, I like Chaotic Design and Blue Blast.

Nancy

signet_gw(6b) thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Julia WV (6b)
    5 years ago

Nice group and you have a lot still blooming. Barely still here as the weather change has me back outside and trying to get as much done as possible. Are you experiencing the cool down weather like we are here? 57 degrees outside this morning at 8:30am EDT.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Julia WV (6b)
  • signet_gw(6b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Julia , yes it was lovely and cool out there this morning when I went out to feed chickens and ducks .What a pleasant surprise and a much needed break .

However with all the rain we have had ( only 2 days without since the beginning of August) and the fact that the crops are still on the fields , the mosquito population has exploded . I was out last evening pruning the weeping mulberry trees at the base of the porch side stairs and was on a ladder trying to trim to shape the trees and the mosquitoes although obviously a new crop and tiny , were ravenous. Slapping at them while wielding a running Sawzall proved to be a bit treacherous so I had to give up for the time being .

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

I'm glad to see you still have some and will for a while. Lots of them are very pretty. I have nothing left as of a couple of days ago.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Julia WV (6b)
    5 years ago

signet: Goodness, sounds like you needed a bee keepers outfit for the mosquitoes. I've not heard of crops causing mosquitoes. I have had concerns about our rain barrel which collects water from the gutters. Some people have placed mosquito doughnuts in the rain barrel but not sure what effect that would have when used for watering plants.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Julia WV (6b)
  • samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

Kate - ha ha! No, you aren't the only one who is a mosquito magnet! I have my bridal tulle veil that I keep stuffed in my garden apron pocket in case it's one of "those" days. Can be a little hot if the weather is muggy, but I absolutely can't take mosquitoes!!!

Heather - what a gorgeous end of season!!! Not sure which I love best, but Rainbow Maker, your red seedling, Blue Blast and Chaotic Design are all uber- beautiful!

Alex

signet_gw(6b) thanked samhain10 - 5a
  • Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

My wife thought she was the mosquito queen magnet, but she's willing to give up the title to any comers!

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • signet_gw(6b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The mosquitoes can hatch in the smallest bits of water so when you have acres and acres of soy beans or corn all the little crevices between the stalk and the leaves collect rainwater, a perfect environment for larvae and we have had nothing but rain all of August and now into September.

I have a bee suit and hat/net and never thought of using it for mosquitoes . I don't use it for bees anymore as I had to give up bee keeping due to all the chemicals the farmers use on the crops around here . Killed my bees year after year . Kept at it by replacing bees every year five years in a rrow but just not worth it . We know it is the chemicals the farmers use because one of the big beekeepers around here lost over 1/2 his hives every year for a number of years. Then he started transporting them north where they don'f farm and his hives actually increased.

As for wearing the suit and hat to avoid mosquitoes . It is too much "stuff" to put on and too hot and claustrophobic to try to use for weeding especially when I am out there for hours at a time .

I am the mosquito magnet here . They don't seem to like my hubby but I can be out for 10 minutes and have as many bites . I really don't react well to their little bit of venom or whatever it is they spit into you . I swell up and itch for days. Last resort is spraying myself with Deep Woods Off , gross stuff and no doubt toxic but not sure which is worse , the bites or the stinky poison I have to put on myself to ward off those hungry little buggars .

• tarheelgirl_7b
    5 years ago

You have a lot of pretty blooms! My favorites include Rainbow Maker, Blue Blast, and Chaotic Design. Nice group!

Lori

signet_gw(6b) thanked tarheelgirl_7b
  • samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

Heather - I was serious about the tulle. I suppose it looks a little strange if people are passing by on the dirt road, but it does work to keep the mosquitoes off my head, if I drape a large piece of tulle over my hat. You don't even need to attach it, the netting kind of clings on it's own. And if it's a big enough piece, and the mosquitoes aren't around, you can sweep the front part back to give yourself a bit more air. But it's just a single layer of tulle, so it's pretty lightweight - not like a bee hat. For me, it beats spraying those poisons on my skin.

Alex

signet_gw(6b) thanked samhain10 - 5a
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert