0

Clary sage/salvia sclarea seeds—edible?

bburr25
September 11, 2018

Hello,

This may be a bit of an unusual question, but I’m very curious to know whether seeds of Clary Sage, or salvia sclarea, are edible?

I do know that they are related to the normal chia (salvia hispanica), and some sources I have found have affirmed that Clary Sage seeds have abundant amounts of Omega-3’s in them. And, they are more cold-hardy than the normal chia. However, nothing I have read has authoritatively affirmed whether they are edible, or whether they are unfit for consumption—practically all of the sources I found were suspiciously silent on the topic...

So, does anyone have information one way or another?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

There is a very useful website called Plants for a Future. Here is their entry for Clary Sage Salvia sclarea.

• CA Kate z9

Interesting. I've grown Clary Sage in the past and had no idea of it's uses.

• bburr25

Perhaps I should mention something that prompted my question in the first place. I noticed after browsing a local vegetable gardener/breeder’s webpage, that he mentioned this about Clary Sage: http://garden.lofthouse.com/seed-list.phtml

[From the webpage, below]

Clary Sage (Chia)

“I consider this to be the most important breeding project I am working on for my own health. The standard american diet is way over-supplied with Omega-6 oils compared to omega-3 oils. Clary Sage is a species of chia that supplies omega-3 oils in rich abundance. Clary sage is a winter hardy perennial. The natural planting time for these seeds is late summer. They germinate quickly upon arrival of the fall monsoons. They can also be planted in spring, but then act as a biennial, and don't flower until the second year. Flowering plants are about 3 to 4 feet tall. To harvest, I cut the plants off just above ground level, pile them on a tarp to finish drying, then beat them with a stick, and winnow.”

I assumed by his description that he couldn’t be using the seeds for anything else but consumption (as a true-chia substitute)—and further communication confirmed he does. Is he perhaps on to something that isn’t well-known but could be very useful? Or are there possible negative side-effects from consuming the seeds, that aren’t well-known?

The many sources I found (including PFAF, though I appreciate the thought as I do value that website) didn’t mention much about the seed, beyond the traditional use of it as an eye-cleanse. I like to think that, unless some information is found that says specifically that it is inedible (and preferably why), it has a good possibility of being edible—and healthy to boot!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I don’t think its edibility is in doubt. Its palatability and its usefulness are different issues.