Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karin_pfosch

September...I can not believe summer is over again...

Karin Black Cat
5 years ago

It is still dry and too warm for the season, good for some necessary work to prepare for winter. I'm painting the stairs and the garden is a chaos...

Comments (46)

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Those problems with Houzz seem still to exist...my whole post just vanished into plain air...

So I try to add some pics at least...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

He is still relaxed...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

After all those years of gardening a mole or vole came to my garden and is adding to the existing problems...

So it was back into pots with those hosta...

I used pot in pot method, it's a shame, Lakeside Dragonfly did so well in the ground...but the bastard is digging along the edges of the pavement all day long and some small ones were already uprooted...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here he started to work too...

:-( ...

Is he laughing at me or about me?...telling me to relax a little most likely...but there is still much work left and I don't want the garden to be unprepared for winter, who knows which weather surprise is still ahead...we had wind from the east all year long and that might mean very cold times...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hey Houzz, this is a mess...really...a whole chapter vanished again...who has the time and nerve to keep on posting in this way?

I was telling you about a vole or mole for some advice and after posting it was gone...

So please, if this works, what are you doing if you have such unwelcome visitors?

I put them back into pots, it's a shame because LS Dragonfly did so well in the ground...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I would have loved to show some newcomers, but after an hour of writing and rewriting I give up and will try to add them the next days...

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    5 years ago

It's nice to see your plants are still looking really good. Mine are doing okay, but heat and hail beat up a lot of my hostas. ....And I just got a notice that my secondary water (sprinklers) will be shut off two weeks early because we're so dry. :-( .....Like you, I've still got lots to do. I'm not done planting and moving things so I hope we finally get some rain come October.

Love your relaxed kitty. He looks so happy to be with you. Too bad the voles/moles aren't scared away by him being around.

Karin Black Cat thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago

I've had problems..I've lost text..and sometimes can't post pics..it's VERY annoying..warm here too..I was outside for hours but didn't stick to my plan..got sidetracked collecting debris..well I'll be back out there tomorrow :-) not to be discouraging but we tried a mole trap in about 5 different locations and never caught the mole..we gave up..eventually the mole moved on..I've never had a vole so I have no advice about them..your cat's expression is just precious..he looks supremely happy..

Karin Black Cat thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    5 years ago

Aww, I love napping kitty! Sssshhh it's kitty nap time! I am surprised the mole/vole isn't discouraged by him. However, the sleeping on the job isn't helping!

Your potted arrangements always look so nice. Your elephant ears are really inspirational! I want more of those next year, different varieties. I saw one the other day I really want.

Oh but we are here for hostas. Yours are gorgeous even with the heat stress. There will be lots to do to put them to bed soon. But we will while away the winter planning next year's gardens!

I did get some of those curly tomato poles like you have. I was so excited to turn them into a teepee like you do! I have morning glory growing up them.

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

popmama, you will love your teepees. I made a birthday gift for my sister with a small acer, Lemon Lime and a sun powered light chain. She hasn't had time to pick it up and the longer she takes the more I want to keep it for myself :-) It looks so nice at night with all the tiny lamps...

My cat is the laziest cat in the world and so nothing will happen to that mole/vole...

But I had already decided to put the hosta back in pots so no real harm done. And I can not kill those cute animals,too soft hearted...

Sandy, we are not allowed to use the water from the pipe anymore for months now, but we are lucky that our well has not fallen dry, so the hosta were able to survive. I had put them in deeper shade and watered twice a week and they did remarkably well for temperatures around 35°C over months...

nicholsworth, isn't it always the same? We have a plan for the day and then get completely sidetracked :-)...It's like at work, sometimes I have done nothing from the agenda when I come home...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will only make small posts now with less pictures in them until hopefully Houzz solves the problems. But maybe they don't want to deal with the garden forum anymore...

I promised pics of my new hosta and here I start with the nice long leaves of Valley's Wairere

Baby Blue Eyes, one of the new small hosta...

Blue Skin, a new one from hybridizer Danny van Eechaute, long small leaves and purple stems...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tiny Cameo, lost all those bigger leaves in summer but came back with amazing new growth

Celtic Dancer, a green beauty

Cherokee, very small...should be a big hosta one day...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chiemsee Angel, new to my small Chiemsee collection...

Cowrie, came in August, interesting leaves...

City Dog, also very new, looks promising, nice dark red stems...

More will follow:-)

5 years ago

I had a great day..up early to take my dad (88) to a routine Dr's appt (he's fine)..then home to work outside..husband went into the crawl space to make sure it's ok (seems fine)..I had to hand him flashlights, a small vacuum etc after he crawled in..then he handed everything back out when he was finished inspecting..then finally I could do my work..I moved 3 Royal Standards..ripped out some ivy..dug out some wild onions..clipped just a few dead, droopy or just unattractive branches on my biggest Japanese maple..picked up some debris (a never ending chore)..tomorrow I'm going to plant some ferns..as usual my favorites of your latest pics are the solid colors..my top 3..Wairere..Baby Blue Eyes..Celtic Dancer..they look so fresh and healthy..I looked up my frost date - October 20..that's about 3 weeks earlier than what actually happens..it sounds so soon :-( about when do you get your first frost?..similar?..

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good choice!...You had a very busy day with positive results :-)

First frost??? We had some very cold mornings already and next week the forecast says around zero (still in plus though)...it might happen within the next few weeks.

I can stay at home next week and it will filled with garden work...I differ between gardening and garden work :-) Gardening is something pleasant, just ripping of a dry leaf, redecorating and things like this...while garden work means a back ache at the end of the day :-(

Fortunately the hosta don't need much care, the pots are already close together. I will concentrate on finishing my new stairs and prepare the EEs for winter. Have to do some reading about this topic...

Off to work now...yesterday the sky over my workplace looked threatening but the big clouds brought not a single drop of rain...

5 years ago

Have a great day :-) I love your definitions for gardening and garden work..I LOVE just strolling and tidying up..this place could keep 10 people busy just doing that lol..I hope we have 6 weeks before it's cold..winter is NOT my favorite..

• Saija_Finland
    5 years ago

Your hostas are still looking good. Most of mine are chaning color to yellow and brown. And soon they are gone. Our fall has been warm and beautiful, but I guess my hostas are tired, LOL

I have lots of garden work. Here is photo of ”stones” which I must carry and make new hostabeds to next summer.

Saija

5 years ago

Saija..I'm glad that you had a nice fall..your hostas do look close to dormancy..I hope that you have a wagon or hand truck or wheelbarrow to move those heavy stones..you have quite a few..the new hosta bed must be big..

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Saija, you seem to have big hosta plans :-) A lot of my hosta are tired,too. I only hide them in the back of the garden because I don't want to be confronted with the fact that the nice times are over...the babies in the kindergarten are going to sleep first...so I kept the big ones in front and the small ones are under the trees.

But the signs are everywhere...

• Saija_Finland
    5 years ago

I'm making three new hosta beds and they are quite big, LOL. This summer I didn't order any hostas and no new beds. We did renovation in our house and I have moved furniture from room to other room, painting, hanged wallpaper........... Next spring I will be ready for big hosta order.

Here is my "truck"

Saija

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's a useful little vehicle :-) Now you have the long winter to plan what you can order for your new beds...

The garden is too full with hosta so I have to hold back but I found a second passion in succulents which can grow in full sun and don't need much water...

A few tree aloe and other funny things :-)

5 years ago

Saija..that's just what you need!..worth it's weight in gold to have useful tools..I have a wagon, hand truck and wheelbarrow..it's important to save our backs right?..

Karin..love the succulent collection in the blue bowl..I could grow the blue jewels in my shady yard lol..you're making me want to buy succulents..time to get to work :-)

• Saija_Finland
    5 years ago

Karin, your succulents are beautiful. Glad you have something else to collect :)

5 years ago

it looks like fall until I look up..
    the prettiest thing in my yard today..ONE hibiscus bloom..
    some hostas that are still going..
    #1 Pearl Lake..#2 Francee? I did buy some..#3 First Frost..my late lunch is over..back to work..

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's the other side of a woodland garden...millions of leaves...good that you have the compost place...are you shredding them for mulch?

In my neighbours part of the garden we have many fruit trees and she has leaves and falling apples and plums every date...

By the way, my Francee gave me a nice looking sport and I really hope it will be back next year...

I divided Francee because she did not look so nice this year and then I found this much smaller sport.

My nicest view last evening was a backlit leaf of Colocasia Black Magic...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are more new hosta...

Dinky Donna

Dixie Chickadee

Dragon Tails

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dragon Warrior

Emerald Ruff Cut, second one, I hope it survives, it's too beautiful not to try it again

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Emerald Paisley

Eye Catcher

Flemish Beauty

5 years ago

we do have a million leaves BUT the compost they make is just wonderful..I think my neighbors are foolish to have their leaves hauled off..I was embarrassed to admit that I still had 4 unplanted Royal Standards..but not anymore!..I planted them today..tomorrow the ferns..still hot today but tomorrow's cooler and coming up we have a week of perfect temperatures..I should have some great work days..

a beautiful Black Magic photo!..I'm so excited for next year's EEs..I have big beautiful pots and can't wait to plant them!..nothing special about my Francees..I'll keep an eye on them knowing that you had a sport..lots of slender leaved varieties in these pics..I like that leaf shape..is Emerald Ruff Cut a finicky one like Great Expectations?..when I lose a plant I want to know why don't you?..Emerald Ruff Cut is very pretty..hope this one does well..this is funny..I seem to love GIANT as well as tiny hostas rather than having a preference for one or the other lol..

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    5 years ago

Oh I love these two: Blue Skin and Celtic Dancer. They are so lovely! I want them! And that elephant ear is a good one. The one I saw that I want is called Blue Hawaii. I may have to splurge on it.

Nicholsworth: I swear I had that same hibiscus! That double peach one. I think I lost it last year though. Or it may be the one I still have that never bloomed this summer. The plant looks great though and it will come in side for the winter along with two others.

Soon...very soon.

5 years ago

popmama..my hibiscus hasn't been a good bloomer but I love having it..in a few weeks I'll be bringing mine in too..do yours ever need pruning?..I cut mine back a bit recently..it was looking leggy..it looks better now after a few snips..I had no idea if it was a good time to prune it but I decided to go for it..

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

popmama, Blue Hawaii is now on my wishlist!

Our hibiscus had countless flowers this year, it seemed to love the heat. But I need to cut it back, otherwise it only gets long and leggy too.

5 years ago

Karin..my hardy hibiscus (Rose of Sharon) does bloom a lot..it's my tropical one that's a dud..

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I never have luck with tropical hibiscus. Tried a few times but gave up. The hibiscus bush is growing like crazy.

We are having a terrible storm right now and I had to bring the EEs in, everything not heavy wents flying outside...not a nice start into my holidays...the hosta are already going to sleep, so that will not be a problem, I only hope that the smaller pots will stay where they are...

5 years ago

I bought my tropical hibiscus last summer..I overwintered it in my kitchen..we'll see how long it lasts..I hope your bad weather is over soon..today wasn't a great gardening day..first we cleaned the driveway..then went to the grocery store..had a late lunch..then filled the wheelbarrow with compost and spread it here and there..then it was dark and time to come in..try again tomorrow..

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It is still dark here and I can not see what has happened outside. But there will be work to do toady...

As I already took the EEs inside I think I will keep them here, it is going to be cold next week. They seem to be so huge when inside :-)

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

While I'm waiting for the sun I continue to show a few newcomers...

Frank Lloyd Wright, not the best looking hosta so far, I hope it gets better next year...

Frosted Lollipop

I hope for improvement next year, bought it because of the nice flowers...didn't get one though...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Funny Bones

Gemstone

Gilt by Association

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Golden Oriole...swapped a few hosta with Dave, that's one I got from him...

Gravity Rocks

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Green Eyes

Gretchen's Rainbow

Grünspecht

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Guardian Angel, a late arrival from my friend Renaat...

who gave me some more of his seedlings, he calls them Asian...

Asian Sunbeam

Unnamed, I gave it the garden name La Chartreuse

The box with the seedlings he gave me last year

5 years ago

oh my..your EEs do look BIG inside..when I imagine my EEs in my kitchen - they're much bigger AND in bigger pots than last year..my kitchen will be full..I dread my husband's comments lol..Funny Bones has really nice wavy edges..I'm sure the ones you mentioned as "hoping for improvement" will be pretty next year..isn't it satisfying to see them come up in the spring with fresh new leaves?..that box of seedlings is fun!..Gravity Rocks is so different that it's hard to think of it as a hosta..

5 years ago

thought of you when I saw this..

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe I will do something like this next year. Actually I already have one of those.

• pandora
    5 years ago

Hmm, Frank Lloyd Wright was near the top of my list for next year. I sure hope yours gets more to your liking.