Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) new treatment

I posted this thread in the KT, but couldn't figure out how to add HD conv. to the original posting:

KT thread

Linked article

Comments (8)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As I mentioned in the KT thread, I didn't post to explore whether adhesive capsulitis is a feminist issue, (it's OK if you want to discuss), but because the article has a very good description of the stages of the condition, and the saline treatment, which I didn't find in my research in 2012 when I had my first frozen shoulder.

• Faron79
    5 years ago

Mine was kinda similar a few years ago. Left shoulder hurt, & turning my neck to my left hurt in the shoulder & neck area.

Chose to see a Chiropractor. T'was a good decision! After a couple months, it really loosened-up. They would work down into the muscles/tendons. Was really sore the first few times! Then it finally got looser, & I could easily tolerate them massaging the Supraspinatus-tendon, etc.

Now however.....I have a 12mm "Full-thickness" tear in that Left shoulder's Supraspinatus-tendon. It's still attached to the Humerus, but torn thru NEAR the attachment-point.

My Right shoulder needed surgery in April 2017, because that S-T WAS torn off. Sooooooo....I gotta watch what I'm doing now!!! Interesting about the Saline! Unfortunately, it doesn't help tears.....:-(

Faron

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked Faron79
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Faron, my brother, who had a frozen shoulder years ago, went through surgery for a tear in his left shoulder last year. It was awful! When his shoulder pain became unbearable, he was given a couple of cortisone injections, and by the time he had the surgery two weeks later, he'd developed a staph infection. After surgery, he had to go to the infusion clinic every day for six weeks, for antibiotics.

After suffering two frozen shoulders, I try to be careful when lifting heavy objects, but it's hard to admit I can't do as much as I did when I was younger.

• Faron79
    5 years ago

Good Lord MG!!!

Sounds awful for your Brother! How is everything now? We might have been recovering at the same time?!

With my Right shoulder, it was the Rotator-Cuff Supraspinatus-Tendon. Age & overuse are the main culprits (I'm 57 now...)! It's the most commonly affected Tendon anyway... Just too many years of doing heavy stuff, etc. Surgeon also had to cut the long-head of the Biceps-tendon, since it was >50% frayed. This is then re-attached to the top portion of the Humerus. They usually cut that Tendon if frayed enough....because it'll soon go anyway! Like I said, I have to be careful now! I usually have to just let the "Young guns" in the store do the heavier things now. Grrrrrrr!

I DON'T wanna have the same surgery on my Left shoulder 12mm tear! Still waiting to see if I can get into the Stem-Cell repair study for larger RC tears like that. First phase last year was 5mm tears.

I've had real good luck overall with my surgeries!

Faron

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked Faron79
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My brother's problem was overuse. He 'laid up' a block foundation for an addition he was working on for a client. He's about your age (56), and thought he could keep up with his 20-something helpers. He's recovered from the surgery, but having been a heavy-equipment operator since he was 15 (our father owned the business), he has arthritis.

My frozen shoulders were each caused by a single dumb action--moving a heavy item in each case, which caused the inflammation that started my body on the path to immobilizing the joint. I try to be more careful these days!

• pamghatten
    5 years ago

Thank you for this information, I've been working with my chiropractor on my frozen shoulder for a couple of months now. The exercises seem to be helping, hopefully it was the early detection?

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked pamghatten
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

pamghatten, if you caught it before your range of motion was completely restricted, that was probably in the early stage. I hope you are also exercising at home. I would do two one-hour sessions each day, using several different exercises. I'd then do pendulum swings to rest the joint, but keep it loose.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio