0

"Will You fly into my Salvia", said the Spider

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
September 21, 2018
last modified: September 21, 2018

"Will you fly into my Salvia", said the spider to the butterflies...This Orb Weaver spun its web in front of the Wendy's Wish salvia. There are usually gobs of bees and butterflies on this particular salvia. Now, not so much lol.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great picture! They sure choose the location of their webs well. I have one in my Zinnias.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • MissSherry

The spider figures that's just the right place for its web!

Sherry

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked MissSherry
  • Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)

It's hard to get a photo of spider and web. After many tries, I finally got this one earlier in the summer. I have this guy and his siblings/in-laws/cousins/outlaws all over my yard:

Carol

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
  • MissSherry

Yes, it's hard to photograph spiders and their webs. When I lived in the country, we had a lot like this -

Sherry

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great picture, Sherry. I am not a big spider fan except for jumping spiders. They are adorable in pictures. So the only one with a web right now is this one from two days ago. It’s not even a good one.

• jane__ny

I walk into the webs almost daily. Today trimming some suckers off a tree, I got my face in a web. I always freak out because I'm afraid of getting bit.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked jane__ny
  • MissSherry

Yikes, Iris! I've only seen one black widow spider - fascinating!

• dirtygardener -- Z9a, N. Central Florida

Orb weavers are so gorgeous! There were giant ones that used to build webs across the roads up in the oak limbs on the island where my grandmother lived. I was always afraid I was going to run into one on my walks.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked dirtygardener -- Z9a, N. Central Florida
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

These are all great spider pictures! I really like spiders and even allow a few house spiders to reside in my house lol. Not poisonous ones though. Black Widows kinda creep me out. I got bit by a Brown Recluse once which made a small hole in my leg. I still have a scar.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am not a big fan of spiders except for jumping spiders. Have to admire their work ethic though. They have their webs replaced on my porch the day after I cleaned. This time of the year I might as well let them be and call it Halloween decoration.

Have any of you ever seen the comedy routine about people running into spider webs? I can't remember if it was Richard Pryor or Bill Cosby, but it was hilarious. I think he called it the "spider dance," and did the thing where you're hopping around trying to wipe off every part of your body.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Iris,

He is really cute, for a spider lol.

I had a big Red Femured Orb Weaver jump on me the other day when I was watering by the greenhouse. I had to google what he was. He is weird, his abdomen is very roundish more like a black widow than the yellow orb weavers Im used to around here.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Seems now is the time for baby spiders. Yikes.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Iris I love all the baby spiders. Amazing you were able to photograph them all together before they scattered. Are they Orb Weaver babies?

Jay, what beautiful and detailed pictures!! What kind of camera do you have? You all have some interesting looking spiders in Chicago.

• Jay 6a Chicago

Sultry, they are pictures off the internet. I wish we had peacock spiders in Chicago, but they only live in Austrailia. Not sure where the gummy bear spider is from.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Sultry, I really don’t know much about spiders. Like when they would split up. They are still together with what I assume mom watching. How does that work? Does mom catch a bug and just drops it for the kids to fight over?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I always thought that spiders ate their young. No clue why I thought that lol. Its cool to think the momma spider is watching out for them. Dropping food and calling the babies to eat reminds me of our crazy chicken mommas clucking up a storm calling their babies for treats :)

I found the original Orb Weaver by the salvia spinning up a web around some poor critter. You can actually see the web shooting out her ummm abdomen? lol

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

This is an incredible picture! I recently asked in the Insect forum about a weird thing I saw. It was identified as a fungus that is attacking spiders. So they don’t have it easy either.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

That's amazing! So there's a whole secret spider world we knew nothing about lol. Poor little spidey. I will have to look that up!