Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judywear

White or gray grout on white subway tile

Judy wear
5 years ago
As many of you know, my DH is re-doing our MB. This is what we have done so far. My only reservation so far is not checking cool white vs warm white in the led mirror & wall light. Little bit of a conflict, but that is ok. We will be installing white 6 x 18” subway tile in the toilet area & shower walls. My dilemma- should we go with white or gray grout. DH will be installing 1/8” grout line. I like the modern feel of white grout but concerned on maintenance & yellowing down the road. Or should we just play it safe with Delorean light gray urethane grout? Pls comment especially if you have installed white subway tile. TYIA

Comments (16)

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

If you like the white, go for it. You can always re-"stain" it white if it yellows/dims in the future.

• skmom
    5 years ago
    I also wanted to add... when the above photo was taken we had just finished the final touches on our kitchen. It was a diy gut job remodel. My hubby designed and built all of the cabinetry... which is cool and all, like super cool... but you must know, the whole job took about a year. I was without a functional kitchen for only two weeks though... that’s because he got many parts of my kitchen up and running well before I had cabinet doors or drawers that pulled out. LOL! I tell you this because that backsplash had already seen many, many months of heavy use (close to a year) before the photo was taken. LOL!
  • skmom
    5 years ago
    Here’s one so you can see how early in the process he installed the backsplash. I went several months without the island, but I still managed to cook almost daily for my larger than average sized family.
  • skmom
    5 years ago
    That was also right before we grouted... I briefly thought about a dark grout color, and took that picture because no grout looks similar to dark grout. I’m glad we went with white grout, it’s more my style.
  • K R
    5 years ago
    Cool so far. Love the wavy tile and the LED mirror. I think you can change the lightbulbs in your wall lights to match, no? I would go with bright white grout. Gray may look dingy with white subway.
  • Judy wear
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Skmom....I just love your kitchen. Fantastic job & looks modern. Can’t believe it was a DIY project. I am leaning more towards the white grout, but now have several white grout options. I wasn’t sure about the white grout being applied in shower area with mildew and wetness involved.
  • hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    At least white grout can be cleaned with products containing bleach, light grey can't .
  • Judy wear
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Referencing back to this post about white grout...
  • tatts
    5 years ago

Where does all this fear of stained grout come from? All of my grout is white, and believe me, I give it no special care. Is everyone else just dirty slobs? I use nothing more than an after-shower cleaning spray when I remember it. And once in a great while I wipe it down with baking soda to catch any deposits that might be left.

I'd use white grout. there's no sense in drawing attention to the lines between the tiles, especially if they if they aren't perfect. Using contrasting grout demands an artist's skill in laying the tile.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am concerend with what the waterproofing is in that shower since you already have layed the floor tile it looks like just cement board as for grout apparently there are some good white ones but to be honest i have never found white grout that stays white and I would do the pale gray.But I would not do subway tile in a shower with all those grout lines a 12 x24 tile would be my choice especially with such a contemporary bathroom.An interesting mix of styles between the kitchen and the bathroom.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

White would probably go best with your tile + design. Like many above said, white is a lot easier to clean then the grey, and if you dont like the white. Just stain it :D

• Judy wear
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We ended up using the white grout. Last of the grouting was done today.
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Looks good! I was going to post a picture of my very light gray (the color was called pearl) tile with Delorean gray grout. It is still very distinctive. With white it would have been more of a contrast.

I have lung issues that keep me from using aerosols and cleaners with bleach, ammonia, or strong cleanser smell. I broke down and bought the Force of Nature cleaning system. It takes water and an ampule of salt and vinegar and, using electricity in a special activator bottle, changes it into a safe antimicrobial cleanser. The solution is good for 14 days, then you make more if you have not used it up. While I was waiting for my contractor to come gut my bathroom, I left a bottle of dog shampoo sitting on the tub rim in the corner and it was there months. When I did pick it up to put away, the grout and silicon had gotten moldy. I sprayed on the Force of Nature water and let it sit, then came and wiped it with a paper towel. Without scrubbing, half the mold was gone from the caulk, and most from the wall grout.

I use it in the covered trough drain in my new shower, and probably will start using it on my solid surface shower's silicon caulk where the floor and wall meets. It really does work well, and kills mold, bacteria, viruses, and other organisms on contact or with a little dwell time.I used it on the boards on the shady side of the porch floor, where green had covered the boards. In two applications, with 15 minutes dwell time and a little scrubbing with a scrub brush on a mop handle, it was all gone. I had to go fill a bucket with water to wash it all away. Spraying your tile with this (it has a light chlorine odor) will keep it looking great.

• Judy wear
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    NAncyinmi....where did you purchase the Force of Nature cleaning system &special electric activator bottle?
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Google Force of Nature and it comes right up. I am not sure if it is sold at other sites, or just the F of N site.

It kept coming up on my Facebook feed and finally got my attention. I did not go to their site through FB, though.