0

Newly screened in porch

Alice Sawyers
October 4, 2018

Porch is too low for someone to easily staple screen to the joists under deck. Wasps come and go between slats. Contractor offered to caulk the spaces between each board, then repaint with my left over deck paint. I would rather have a waterproof laminate. Any suggestions on what type and how to install it over slightly uneven decking? Enclosed area is 17'6" x 14'9"?

Comment (1)

• wednesday morning

We had an under deck area screened in this past summer. So far, the spaces between the floor boards have not been a problem with mosquitos or flying bugs.

If I find that critters do come in, I have a plan.

My plan is to take a length of screen,and cut it in to strips that are maybe about five inches wide and roll it, lengthwise, and shove it down between the boards with some type of flat spatula like tool. Basically, it is as if you would be using the rolled up length of screen as a caulking or a chinking material.

I think that the fiberglass screen would work for this. It would allow water to pass through to drain, but the critters would not have easy access.

I assume you are talking about a ground level deck, right?

You could also cover the floor area with an outdoor rug, and I have seen flexible deck tiles that you can cover the floor with. Costco sold some such tiles last summer.