Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lehuno

Is it possible to modernize or improve this living room?

lehuno
10 years ago
We would like to know if it is possible to improve our current living room, keeping the same forniture and space. Any idea?? Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Comments (18)

• Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Handmade Red Orange Wool Rug · More Info

Overarching Floor Lamp · More Info

Metropol Floor Lamp · More Info

Rodeo Drive Beige Rug · More Info
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    Is that a thermostat? That makes it hard to hang art over that part of the sectional....more pics please?
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    It seems very crowded. You have a good start, it just needs your personal touches. What colors do you like? I would start by getting an area rug. Then build from there. Is there room to move the sofa back a bit?
    Pyros Zig Zag 5' x 8' Area Rug · More Info
    Emerson Shelby Area Rug · More Info
    Boho Boutique Peacock Area Rug · More Info
  • lehuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for all your comments. It's not our home, but we are allowed to paint the walls and hang art on the wall. However, we can not add a rug because my son has allergy and the doctor suggested not to have rugs at home. I attached more photos and thank you again.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Anything is possible when we put our mind and wallet to it .

begin with art

The Chinese Chest of Drawers (La Commode Chinoise), Pablo Picasso, 32x40 · More Info
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    You could try an outdoor rug- these do not hold the dander like indoor rugs do.
    Gabbana Cream Design Outdoor Rug · More Info
    Solid Multicolor Indoor/Outdoor Rug · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hmm... I'm thinking if it would be possible to turn the sectional around so that the short side is in front of the window. Not against it. And place the TV against the short wall. That will open up your room.
    I guess you don't have curtains because of your son's allergy?
    Would it be possible to hang something like bamboo blinds or Roman blinds? That would dress the room and make it feel warmer. If you look at your room, all the materials are shiny and 'hard'. Apart from the two orange pillows. If you add some different structures and materials it will soften the room.
  • lehuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolina. Thank you very much, I think is a great idea, we'll do it. I take the occasion to ask you, what kind of tile would you recommend me to match with the table to have something shining and modern. This information will b useful for our future house. Thank you for all your help
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    You're welcome.
    Personally, I like travertine floors. That is a natural stone however, not a ceramic or porcelain tile.
    Abe Residence · More Info

This could be a useful ideabook for you, follow the link under the picture:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/your-floor-how-to-shop-for-tile-stsetivw-vs~508253
  • lehuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dear Carolins. Thank you very much for your answer.
    We have just checked information about travertini floor and we have seen very beutiful things but it's one of the most expensive materials.
    Please, correct me if I'm wrong but I understood that you don't recommend us take ceramic or porcelain tiles for our house, is it correct? is there any specific reason? What about polish concrete? do you think that it could be a good option? or could you recommend us another material ? Thank you very much!!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I know, travertine is very expensive. But beautiful and timeless. Sure you can use ceramic or porcelain tiles. Porcelain is a harder material than ceramic and the colour runs through the entire tile, where with porcelain tiles only the top layer is coloured. Porcelain is more durable. But both are very good for floors. Ceramic is probably the cheapest option.
    We have floor tiles in our own home in fact (travertine in our previous home) and I'm not even sure if they are porcelain or ceramic ;-) So, no reason for not using it.

Polished concrete is beautiful and I understand very hard wearing. I have no experience with it, so can't tell you more about it. Sorry.
    But I love the look. I have no idea about the cost though.

Another option could be a poured resin floor. I'm in the Netherlands where it is more or less widely available. I believe that in the USA it is only used commercially. Which is a shame, because it is an ideal floor.

Here's a link to a site that is in the UK, but it has information about both poured resin and concrete flooring:
    http://www.resinflooringcompany.com/

I'm not a professional designer, so I can't give you all the information you'd like. But take your time exploring all the options, so you can make an informed choice. Also, consider putting in underfloor heating.
    Good luck.
  • PRO
    Uprise Art
    10 years ago
    Hi - if you are looking for some art to hang on the walls, we have some original pieces that would look great in your living room! Feel free to browse through our gallery at https://www.upriseart.com/artist_view. Here are some suggestions:
    Tide In Tide Out by Erin Lynn Weish · More Info
    Information for the Rest of Us by Jen Wink · More Info
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil by Ashok Sinha · More Info
  • lehuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you
  • lehuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dear Caroline, Thank you so much for all your suggestion and the information that you shared with me. As you suggested, we will take time to explore the different options.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    You're welcome :-)
  • PRO
    Cure for Bare Walls, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I think you have a lovely space, and it is definitely possible to modernize it with the right paint colors, furnishings, layout and the modern art that makes a statement. Go for it!
  • lehuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi. Thank you for your comments.
    The problem that I have is that I don't know know which are the right colors, furnishing, etc. I have had some nice advices but if you have another one, they are welcome!