Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovingtodecorate

Torn between selling my traditional furniture or painting

lovingtodecorate
5 years ago
Beautiful pieces which cost a lot of $ over a decade ago. If I sell them, I’ll get pennies on the dollar. Will they look good painted and work when we finish our basement??

Not pictured: same style dining table and chairs, dresser and baker’s rack.

Comments (30)

• queenvictorian
    5 years ago

I don't think they'd look very good painted, unfortunately. Are any of the pieces antiques? If so, definitely don't paint them (that will completely devalue them) and talk to an antique dealer. You still probably won't get much, but more than for a contemporary piece that's just in a traditional style.

Then again, if you're going to put this furniture in your basement, then does it really matter if it's painted or not?

• partim
    5 years ago

How are you going to use your basement? Most basements are a casual family play room or TV room. How will you use a desk, dining table, baker's rack, china cabinet etc in this room?

As far as how it looks, search google for Ornate Painted Furniture and look at the images. Decide whether you like them better than the wood finish you have. It's a personal choice.

• Shirley Huberty
    5 years ago

I personally would not paint them. What would be your reason to paint them? Are you looking for a more contemporary brighter look? If you paint them The style will still look traditional.

• Helen
    5 years ago

You are correct that they are impossible to even give away.

There are people who paint antique furniture but I wouldn't because I don't think you would be improving their looks. Why do you want a china cabinet and heavy desk in a finished basement? They aren't even particularly functional for what most people use a basement for. I guess the coffee table works as a coffee table.

Figure out what you need to make the basement functional for your needs. IKEA has nice looking functional wall units; television consoles; coffee tables and these would function better and look far better than a painted china cabinet; a heavy old fashioned desk and a very dated coffee table.

• lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Basement is currently used by the kids. They will fly the nest in the next 5 years or so. We may do a lounge type basement then.

I have more contemporary furniture upstairs.

Excuse the mess. Here’s a picture of the basement. I guess I was hoping to update the look. It’s probably best to sell.

These are not antique.
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The heavy old fashioned desk was a gift 12 years ago. It was purchased new for about $2,000. We’d be lucky to get $100 for it. How quickly the styles change. Part of my thought process is that the traditional style may comes back in and I’ll have the furniture.
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The basement will be used for entertaining.
  • Helen
    5 years ago
    While styles do change and things come around, I doubt that desks in that style ever will because they don’t work for computer technology.

There are massive quantities of brown China cabinets because people don’t lead lifestyles where they need the furniture. If you like it keep it but why would you want it in the basement. I just got rid of loads of brown furniture including my grandmother’s bowed glass Victorian cabinet which was an antique. Not my taste and no longer functional.

And the coffee table - speaking frankly- is hideous and remind me of the excessive stuff seen in furniture stores in certain neighborhoods in Brooklyn in the 1979’s. :-)
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have painted some non-antique wood furniture including dressers and a tall curio. It turned out ok. I tried to refinish an antique and ruined it. So it goes.

Read somewhere wood is coming back!!?? Well, who knows but I go more by what works for me.

Use the furniture for other than its intended purpose. Store linens in the glass cabinet. Use the desk for a work bench. Etc.

• lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like the idea of repurposing the furniture. Ok, I agree with you all that it is better to leave as is.

We used a decorator who picked out the curio, coffee table etc. I did like it at the time.
  • beesneeds
    5 years ago

Could we get pics of the other pieces please?

• suezbell
    5 years ago

See if you can locate a consignment shop to sell the pieces you don't actually want to keep.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

They are beautiful!! I would love them! One persons junk is. . .I think you could sell them for money. If they are not painted...

lovingtodecorate thanked redsilver
  • Sammy
    5 years ago

Is it good quality? If so, use it in the basement.

• lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, Very good quality. The pieces fill the basement and make it usable until we finish it. I wish I knew how to blend old with new so that I could keep the pieces and they would look good in a finished basement. I will post pics of the other pieces once I get the junk moved off of them.

• lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do you think there are any pieces worth keeping? I'd like to finish the basement in dark greys and browns with stone walls and wood beams. Here's one picture I like.

Bordley 2 · More Info

• lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love how cozy this looks.

Basement Finish · More Info

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Everyone needs a table by their couch. If they don't have one..they use the floor. So Tables are valuable assets. And yours are beautiful! Desks hold so much stuff. Where is ...the tape, the stapler, the markers, the pads and pencils, the deck of cards, the game pieces. IF you have room for it, please keep it. If you don't you won't have much trouble finding someone to love it, surely! The curio cabinet, is so pretty. If you have any collections to show off, that is the place for them. If you have story books or pretty magazines you like to look at, intersperce them in between. If you don't, than someone will love it if you put if up for sale or offer to a family member.... If you have room for a console behind the couch, you have one. They too, can work in your area to show off things you love, and if you don't need it, you can likely sell it. Don't sell it cheap. There is someone who will love it and be wiling to pay for your pretty high quality stuff....that is never sold cheap here..... Even a new lawyer or a new doctor or a new broker setting up an office.....will have a use for it. I have seen glass cut for the top and the coffee maker and accessories set on one in several offices I visit. Perfect usefulness....

• drdeb1234
    5 years ago

Blending traditional and modern can work...but not with heavy ornate pieces like these. I can’t really articulate why they won’t work, I just know they won’t. No point hanging on to them just because they cost $XXX brand new. If you don’t like them, sell them, give them away, whatever....and move on. I would hate to try to incorporate pieces like these in my home if they weren’t my style (and they’re not!).

And I seriously doubt you’ll be able to sell them for a significant amount of money. Craigslist is chock full of listings for furniture like this. Cost a bundle brand new; hard to give away now.

• Share D
    5 years ago

The detail in those tables and curio cabinet are beautiful & well made. The crowns under the tables most likely screw off & that may change the look. The tables I would paint. Painting does take time & patience. Before you decide, go look at painted furniture & see if you like painted or what colors you like. The designer I hired could not believe that the dining set he was sitting at was painted until I showed him the before picture, which was dark green. It is now gray with navy accents, the top was left oak.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

do you like them? if so, keep them. they will not look better painted. they are very circa 2000. They're suited to a mediterranean style decor w/italian columns and such. They're ornate, heavy and rather formal for a basement. I'd sell them for whatever and get something lighter. Up to you what you want to do.

• lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for the comments so far.

I kept one of the traditional pieces and converted to a sink for our main floor powder room. I know the chest and mirror are dated, but I love how it looks. I think if we do the basement right, I could keep the furniture and it could even look good. That would save a lot on buying new furniture. Even at IKEA, it’s expensive. What do you think?
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beth H- yes, our last house had columns and an ornate carved lion fireplace. This home has stone, wood beams and is rustic-with a touch of glam.
  • Laurie Tillett
    5 years ago
    If you don’t (1) actually adore it, (2) have a place where it will look perfect or (3) will be able to sell it for enough money to make the hassle of selling worthwhile, I recommend calling Goodwill, AmVets, or other charity organization and ask for a pickup. They will haul it off for free and you will (1) feel good you’re doing something good and (2) get a small tax deduction. Done!
  • Helen
    5 years ago

The issue is really whether you want your basement decorated with what is very ornate formal furniture.

IMO painting is not going to change what that furniture is and would look a bit odd - but that's me.

You spent the money years ago and got use out of it. If you really don't want a remodeled basement that looks as though it is being furnished with castoffs from rooms decorated thirty years ago, release it into the universe. You appear to be someone for whom the tax deduction makes more sense than a minimal amount you would make on a sale. Your furniture is not worth anything in today's market - I know because I tested the waters a few months ago when I got rid of a lot of good "used" furniture. No one wanted it - not even the real antique pieces - not consignment stores; not used furniture stores; not craigslist. Most people didn't even want it for free although I am sure I could have given it away with a listing on on the free section of craigslist but I didn't want to deal with strangers traipsing there - for what?

I do understand wanting to reuse it and it is certainly what my parents would have done - in fact our finished basement was furnished with the castoffs from here, there and everywhere and my first apartments were furnished gratefully with stuff gleaned from family and friends until I could afford replacements. But unless I actually still liked the furniture and would purchase it again, I personally would replace it with pieces that didn't look so out of place.

But of course it depends on your economics and what your ideal look would be for the finished room There are relatively inexpensive stylish sources which would make more sense than an ornate desk and china cabinet - but in the end it really is what you like and what you can afford in terms of furniture for that room.

• lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Finances definitely play a role. I suppose I could incorporate these in the basement for a few years until we feel comfortable buying new pieces.

You all saved me a lot of time. Now I won’t be painting a lot of furniture. I think I will buy a piece off Craigslist (with lines I like) and try to paint it for the fun. There are some painted pieces that are gorgeous!!!
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think this is stunning!!!
  • apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

I'd use the furniture in the basement. When the kids leave in 5 years, they can take it with them. Once they discover that even Ikea costs money, they could be quite happy with the well made pieces that will still be in great shape.

• lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So, I went to a friend’s who just finished their basement. She had 1990’s oak furniture and was unable to sell it. She chalk painted it dark grey and it looked amazing! Didn’t look like the same furniture at all! Her furniture wasn’t ornate like mine, but I was just so surprised what a transformation it was.