0

Pick a Color: Yellow and Blue Covered Porch

Danielle Gottwig
October 8, 2018
last modified: October 8, 2018

Which colors (pictured below) would you use on this porch?

Gray formstone will stay. Red door will stay. New, gray porch boards will be installed (samples pictured below).

I'm thinking about a bright, very light yellow and blue combination for the woodwork (soffit, doorway area, pillars). Yellow and white might also make sense. If we do a blue, blue on porch ceiling seems both fun and traditional. The goal would be to brighten up the exterior a bit, given all the gray.

What say ye?

• Danielle Gottwig

This is the inspiration pick that got lemon-yellow into my mind:

Flo Mangan
    Do sky blue ceiling on porch and bright white.
    Danielle Gottwig thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan
    A couple ideas
  • Danielle Gottwig

I love the blue roof. Everytime I see one in real life I like them, too.

I like white, which is also very safe. But there's a tendency of everyone (landlords on my block in particular) to just slap white paint on the trim. The uniformity of this is a little boring. The nearby blocks where home owners have all picked different colors are a lot cuter. So I might want to lean in that direction.

That said, even just doing the blue roof would add a lot of pop. The porch ceilings are easily visible to street-level passersby.

• grapefruit1_ar

I understand what you are saying about livening things up. But, I would go with the blue ceiling, paint the storm door frame red to match the door, and paint all trim bright white. I think that adding yellow ( along with all of the gray) will be too freaky. You would then be free to add fun, colorful, seasonal things to your porch. I would start with a bright indoor/outdoor rug.

• grapefruit1_ar

From Overstock.

• Danielle Gottwig

Hmm. Some food for thought. I'll chew on this.

Another way to go here would be to use just the yellow. Admittedly, yellow can be a pretty extreme color. That said, that creamy yellow is bright but quite light.

Flo Mangan

Don't recommend the yellow. Just won't work well with your gray. Do the blue ceiling on the porch and perhaps some blue trim around the windows, but that's it, especially if you want to keep the red front door. No more than 3 colors. You have some stone that looks gray, the floor of the porch which will be gray, red door and white trim, so adding the touches of blue is all you need. You can add some yellow in the form of flowers or flower pots, but that is all.

Flo Mangan

Instead of yellow, I would add some flower pots in cobalt blue! That would be exciting.

Great Plant Combinations · More Info
    Something like these.

• Danielle Gottwig

Could the super light yellow, or the taupey color that is already on the house (original photo) work as neutral, like bright white would?

If so, I could keep the paint as is or replace all the taupe with cream. Add blue ceiling.

Flo Mangan
    In a word no. Sorry. Your gray has a group of complimentary colors or harmony colors and none fall into any Yellow Hue family. Reds, blues, white, even black works. Yellow will not compliment the gray. An option would be to paint the gray a deep blue. That would be really pretty and work with white trim, blue porch ceiling and red front door. I will find some inspirational photos for you.
    Danielle Gottwig thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan
    Here are some photos including use of bright yellow for front door.
    Danielle Gottwig thanked Flo Mangan
  • sprtphntc7a

i would not do yellow either.

i would do the blue on the porch ceiling. paint the trim around the door and storm door red. if u don't want to paint storm door, then leave it white. the red trim will make the door stand out

i would paint all the rest of the trim white to brighten it up. i know u said the grey stone is staying but i would seriously consider painting it white. its very drab and it think that's the problem with you feeling it needs "brightening up".

even painting it all white, its still going to feel dark.

Danielle Gottwig thanked sprtphntc7a
    Flo Mangan
    I much prefer the red door and even a deeper blue gray would look great with white trim.
    Danielle Gottwig thanked Flo Mangan
  • Danielle Gottwig

First try at picturing the trim in bright white, in contrast to the current taupe / putty.