0

I am looking for an advice on replacing deck joists.

Inna Shperkina
October 9, 2018

Our deck is 25 years old, do we need to replace joists? The wood is darker at the top as it was raining. Thank you very much for the advice!

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Absolutely not. There is nothing wrong with that lumber. All the holes in the hangers are nailed with the proper nails. Get some flashing under that siding and you're good to go.

Inna Shperkina thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Inna Shperkina

Thank you so much, Joseph!

• wednesday morning

I assume you are replacing the deck boards with wood, and not a composite material? If you are redecking with composite, there are specifications as per.

Inna Shperkina thanked wednesday morning

I don’t see a prblem with them at all.

HALLETT & Co.
    I would wrap the tops of them with joist tape to keep water out of the cracks but otherwise they look good. At that age I would make sure it is bolted to the sill and not simply nailed.
  • Inna Shperkina

yes, we are replacing with wood, not composite and the joists are bolted to the sill. I think we are good to go. Thank you everyone for comments and advice! Very helpful!

• smileythecat

This is what I did. Doubled up on the joists, wrapped them with joist tape,and installed composite decking and railing, maintenance consists of hosing the whole thing down and waiting for it to dry. I would never have a wood clad deck again.

HALLETT & Co.
    Inna you need to start a new post not add it to a post about decking
  • Inna Shperkina

yes, thank you, just did that.