Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nl7198

White Oil for Adenium for pest control

Agartta
5 years ago

I seem to have good results with horticultural White Oil Petroleum Oil Aerosol against the hard infestation with spider mites, aphids. These creatures ravaged my new year old seedlings and some younger ones. Even my mature plants lost leaves due to pests. After spraying this white oil, I got instant results. The next morning, plants looked happy, shiny leaves, no sight of spider mites. I will have to repeat in a week if I see any pests. Apparently this stuff is deadly to the mites and aphids, still is a very safe product, with no toxicity for humans or animals. I read you can make your own white oil at home. Its used for flowers and fruit.

Has anyone used this White Oil? I tried everything and nothing worked for red spider mites, not even neem oil, until I sprayed this white oil stuff on, which surprised myself with its efficiency.

Comments (11)

• Candice (Houston)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What is this white oil? I've never heard of it. I just started Neem two weeks ago and the red mites don't seem affected by it at all. So frustrated! I found that soybean oil kills them very well but it leaves a nasty residue I can't remove, since I don't have access to a water hose (I'm on an upstairs patio).

• Candice (Houston)
    5 years ago

Ohhhh, this is the same thing that I have used. It's vegetable oil and soap, according to the DIY sites I just looked up.

Vegetable oil is the same as soybean oil. I've been using this for a while. It works great but leaves a residue. It's hard for me to clean.

Now aerosol I'm not sure of? I put mine in a spray bottle. For some reason the oils always break my hand spray bottles pretty quickly.

• Agartta
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Best way is to use the aerosol at 15cm distance from plants when spraying, so it doesnt drown the plants. Even safe on seedlings. Its made from petroleum oil. Should be something similar in other countries.

• Peter Newcastle Aust spider mite breeder
    5 years ago

Aggarta i use it as part of my pest control only thing u have to watch is direct sun it will burn your plants ,but be very careful with DHA they dint like it at all the leaves go black and fall off i think its because the leaves are so small good luck they will b back :×)

• Candice (Houston)
    5 years ago

I did some more research and read that mineral oil is also good for this. I believe it is petroleum based, so it may be the same.. I found pure mineral oil in the laxative section of my local drugstore, lol! I will experiment with this. Wish me luck :P

Agartta thanked Candice (Houston)
  • joe (Wisconsin USA)
    5 years ago

I have used a product called Murphy Oil Soap for scale on orchids. It did the job of killing them and they never returned. The product contains vegetable oil. I don't remember the dilution rate I used.

Joe

Agartta thanked joe (Wisconsin USA)
  • Agartta
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update on my Adenium seedlings white oil treatment a week ago. I am amaized at the effects of this white oil on my plants and the pests. The bugs are gone and the bold seedlings have new set of leaves. So far so good.

Candice - yes it is petroleum oil based. The aerosol, at 15 cm, dispenses enough spray to kill the pests and doesnt harm the seedlings. Mineral oil should be good, I would mix it with water in a fine mist spray bottle.

Joe, I read about home made white oil with vegetable oil dishwash liquid. I didnt try it yet. So far Im happy with the one sold at my hardware house.

• Candice (Houston)
    5 years ago

My cvs mineral oil worked. I made a 2% mineral oil 1% Dr Bronner peppermint soap mixture. It killed them all within a few days. Ofcourse I have to repeat application and be diligent.

• PRO
    Hichar712
    5 years ago

Thank for the info, its vegetable oil, and cleanser. However, I don't think about white oil and adenium. in any case, similar to this I utilized,

• abrahamx
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I use neem seed meal in my soil mix. While it wont stop an infestation it will prevent any further ones once under controll. I have not had a single spider mite in about 15 years since I started doing this. I used to use neem seed oil or a product called azamax before that to stop infestations. Its way better just not having to worry about it though.