Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Houstonians, what fruit trees made it through last winter?

I lost most of my plants, but my pear, tangerine and grapefruit are doing fine. I want to add more fruit trees, but not sure what will make it though winter, looking for advice.

Comments (8)

• garybeaumont_gw
    5 years ago

Satsumas do well in the Houston area. They are winter hardy down to the mid twenties, maybe even lower.

The Gulf series of plum (gulf beauty and gulf rose) have done well for me also, but may need spray to control brown rot and plum curculio (worms). Tropic Snow peach is low chill and has a good taste, but will also need spraying.

Loquats are another hardy fruit tree that also looks good in the landscape. I would get a grafted variety.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked garybeaumont_gw
  • Embothrium
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Citrus

Julian W. Sauls
    Extension Horticulturist

Commercial citrus production in Texas is mostly limited to the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Small plantings that formerly existed near Beaumont, Orange, Houston, Beeville, Falfurrias and Carrizo Springs have mostly disappeared because of economics and recurring freezes. Nonetheless, many Texas residents want citrus trees in the home landscape to enjoy their dark, evergreen foliage, fragrant blossoms and colorful, delicious fruit.

Climate

Citrus trees growing outside the Valley are at a distinct disadvantage with regard to climate, i.e., winter almost always will be accompanied by one or more freezes. Citrus trees are subtropical to tropical in nature; thus, they may suffer severe damage or even death because of freezing temperatures. However, several types of citrus have sufficient cold-hardiness to sustain some freezing conditions, particularly as mature trees. The resident of coastal and southern Texas who is willing to put forth the effort to provide cold protection for young trees, and sometimes even mature trees, can successfully produce citrus fruits.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/fact-sheets/citrus/

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Embothrium
  • ladybug A 9a Houston area
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Was hoping to get something I don't have to spray as I'm not very good at having a schedule, plus would prefer to be more organic. Will look into Satsuma...

• Shirley Jackson
    5 years ago

All 4 of my meyer lemons lost all leaves, but are now loaded with fruit. Pomegranates did very well. I have 2 orange trees (forgot their names) have lots of fruit, too. Btw, I'm in southeast Houston.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Shirley Jackson
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    5 years ago

You might want to take a look at Changsha tangerine. The Satsuma tree that I've had for years (no variety name) is not a good producer for me. The most fruit it's ever produced in one year has been one dozen total. However what I get tastes great and the tree has been hardy planted near the brick wall of the garage in San Antonio. It might do better for you in Houston.

But my young Changsha is out in the open, is loaded with fruit right now and is a worry free tree. The fruit is low acid and very sweet. HERE are more Changsha and other citrus discussions.

I just noticed that you said your tangerine is doing fine. Maybe the links above will be helpful to someone else.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked roselee z8b S.W. Texas
  • Ike Stewart
    5 years ago

Keep in mind last winter had a couple of the coldest nights in the last 40+ years, so may not be the best guide to what will and what will not survive most years. As to Satsumas, I live on the 9a/8b line in SW Louisiana (about 150 miles NE of Houston) and have 3 mature Satsuma trees (20+ years old), as well as 4, younger ones, a Meyers Lemon and a Cara Cara orange (these have all been planted between 2016 and now). All of these survived last winter when we had a low of 12F and 13F 2 nights in a row, though they were covered with tarps, old blankets, table clothes, etc. and had old style christmas lights for heat. Only one had significant die back (over 75%, and was down to 3 leaves at one point) the others, just had slight die back, and most lost 50-80% of their leaves.

As far as picking a variety of Satsuma, my new favorite is Miho, which is also more cold hardy than most other varieties, and an early season variety that ripens in October.

So generally speaking Satsumas are a viable option in the greater Houston area, though they need freeze protection on the coldest nights of the year, particularly the first 2 or 3 years after they are planted.

As far as production goes, my mature Satsumas each have several hundred fruit on them at the moment, and my 2nd year in ground Miho has 6 or 7.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Ike Stewart
  • detharal
    5 years ago

Not sure if you are still looking, but here is what I have in my backyard in Richmond (basically old Katy Plains):

1) Cara Cara Orange -

2) Navel Orange -

3) Dwarf Meyer Lemon -

4) Alberquina Olive:

5) Ruby Red Grapefruit -

6) Clementine Tangerine -

7) 2 Persian Limes:

I am struggling with these Persian Limes. The top one I had to move since where I first placed it had too much water. I expect that is the reason it did not bloom this year. The bottom one, I grew that from a seed from a Persian lime my father gave me from his tree. It did bloom this year, but only a single bloom. I hope both will do better next year.

I also have a Fuji Apple tree that is struggling as well. I have never had good luck with Apple trees in Texas.

I have 3 finger lime trees also growing. One in ground and the other two in pots in different locations. They seem to be doing well.

All these trees have been in the ground since 2016. The cold snaps we had in 2017 did do a number on all these trees (major leaf drop, but no damage to trunk or branches), but they bounced back well.

Here is a list of others I know grow well in Texas:

1) Loquat Trees - These are great trees that do very well here. They shed a lot so be aware. I even like the tangy fruit. Great to make preserves.

2) Key Limes

3) Figs - Many varieties grow well here

4) Peaches - I grew a Dr. Davis peach tree from seedling to 20 foot producing tree at my old house in less than 8 years!

5) Blackberry bushes. You cannot kill these. I would recommend getting a thornless one though.

Now here is the list of Trees or bushes that I have had zero luck with.

1) Avocado Trees - I have planted 3 of these (Bacon and cold hardy Hass)... All have died. Browning occurs every time. I have tried multiple soil locations. No luck.

2) Apple Trees - Again, I have had no luck with apples. My Fuji looks like it is dying and I have tried Dorsett apples as well. I had better luck with the Dorsett but it never really grew much. I did get a couple of harvests, but they were small. Really good though.

3) Blueberry bushes. This disappoints me because these are my son's favorites. I ordered this online and it arrived with ants in it. I tried to clean them out, but I think I shocked it so much that it just died. I do think they can do well here, but I have not had any luck.

Upcoming projects:

Raised vegetable garden.

Adding these trees/Bushes around that garden: Thornless Blackberry bush. Rabiteye Climax Blueberry, Miracle Berry, 2 Dr. Davis Peaches, Fuzzy Kiwi, Star Cherry, and a Santa Rosa Plum.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked detharal
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting