Your shopping cart is empty.

Multipanel Stacking door or traditional patio door

avc avc
October 12, 2018
last modified: October 12, 2018

We are building our home and in a dilemma of choosing back of the home.

Our standard option is 8 feet patio door where only one of three panel moves, also this wall has 6 feet window.

We are thinking of an upgrade of 12 feet(length) x 8 feet (height) multipanel sliding 'stacking door' on back of the house. Of Course the stacking door is additional ~$11K cost, which is quite heavy on the pocket along with purchase of new home

If we install it from the builder, things will be covered under warranty. If we are doing it later, it may affect the warranty.

I was wondering if anyone in the readers has installed it before and knows an average cost in the market for such door. Also any warranty related guidance also will be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect

Price both alternatives. The potential structural changes doing it later will most likely kill that option.

• PRO
  • avc avc

with one is 12 feet sliding stacked door

• avc avc

this one is a 8 foot long door with one operable panel. along with that there is a 6 foot window on left

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art

Is the budget a consideration?

• avc avc
    yes. budget is also a consideration against making structural changes later on in the newly built home
  • PRO
    Sophie Wheeler

Price out the needed steel headers, piers, and other structural work needed in addition to the 11K doors. You’re not ever going to do if you don’t do it now. But is your home being built to a level that includes a 20K+ door opening?

• Carolyn T

We did the double sliding doors where we have the two panels on each side as fixed but the two doors in the middle slide open. For us, it was a cheaper option than the stacking panels (which is really cool but expensive) and gave us a larger opening than just one patio door.

• Suzanne
    We did the same as Carolyn. Plus the fixed panel design allows screen doors.
  • PRO
    Anglophilia

Does this door open to the outside or to a screened porch? I love seeing the English use these folding doors in the UK, but it appears they do not have the insect problem we have in the US, and also have a tolerance for wildlife coming inside that we also do not have. I don't want a bird/rabbit/skunk in my house. Some form of slider allows for screens.

• worthy

I don't want a bird/rabbit/skunk in my house.

Moose on the Loose in Markham (adjacent to Toronto).

Let alone the foxes, rabid coyotes and the occasional moose that frequent our neighbourhood!

• Karen Rose
    We just had old sliders removed and stacking sliders (impact as we’re in florida) installed and not only is it $$$ it is a real pain - took 6 months to come in and a full 2 days to install, they screwed up our tile (reputable company too) then waiting for fix, inspectors etc.. If you have the chance to do it now and you definitely want them, JUST DO IT
  • C Marlin

We installed two LaCantina doors a few months ago. The 144" x 96' cost $10,200 plus $1500 install. Our general contractor installed the LAM header. We also installed a 158' x 96", it cost $11,530. I dislike the screens La Cantina sells. We just ordered Vista View retractable screens. Centor makes nice doors with a nice hidden retractable screen, but buying two of those was just too much more money for us. I'm very happy with our La Cantina doors, we are in Southern California so they are local for us.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art

Keep in mind the categories of expenses involved in something like this:

--The structural costs to properly frame the necessary opening;

--Any mechanical or electrical costs which may be required for rerouting any existing systems;

--The costs of the doors, plus frieght or transportation;

--Installation

Good luck on your project.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    Not a DIY. Stacking usually requires a thickened wall and/or a pocket, planning, engineering, etc.
  • jmm1837
    We have stackers - two stacking doors, the 3rd panel is fixed. No issues with screens - we have a kind of accordian screen that keeps the insects out (and believe me, here in Australia we know about insects!) At least 75% of the time, though, we only open the first slider - it's a pretty heavy wet up - but when we entertain, it's great to have the option of opening up the whole thing.
  • just_janni

It's not something you want to do later. If you want it - get it now. And $11K sounds too cheap. Does your builder have experience installing this kind of door system?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

Do it now or forget it IMO.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor

The number sounds viable for a 12080 stacker including properly skilled installers. It depends on the brand, construction type (wood vs aluminum) glass composition, etc.

A retrofit might be 1.5-2x this cost due to multiple finishes on both sides that might have to be redone and a higher load of management not spread onto a larger job. (I'm not currently set up to do remodels & retrofits).

I have a home nearing completion with a large Fleetwood install of 6 doors & 13 windows.

• alex9179

If you want a wide opening, what about the standard mechanism with a two panel 8' door? Or, increments of 3 going up to 12', that would allow the center panels to open.

• avc avc
    alex7179@, that's not an option unfortunately

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).