Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrybundtcake

Fennel Harvesting: Fruits and Roots

BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

I have a bronze fennel plant that is reaching its end, and I would like to harvest what's useful of it. It has flower heads that are growing seeds and turning brown. Does one just knock the seeds out like harvesting coriander? (I'm pretty sure that's how I did it when I grew cilantro/coriander.) Also, what does one use fennel seed for beyond sausages?

I'd also like to harvest the bulb. Bronze fennel probably isn't the ideal eating fennel, but it failed its primary purpose of hosting swallowtail caterpillars, and it is still fennel. It probably attracted a few more swallowtails, but we never saw any caterpillars, so we're somewhat determined for it to perform its back up function of feeding people.

So, yes, I actually want to harvest fruits and bulb, but that doesn't rhyme ...

Thank you,

BlueberryBundtcake

Comments (5)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

For the seed just cut off the dead flower heads and dry them. The seeds will come off just by scrunching in your hands. They go well with anything porky. Also fishy. But I’ll try any herb in any dish. (Except maybe peppermint!) Don’t be bound by rules. Traditional combinations are tried and tested but there’s no reason not to experiment.

Bronze fennel doesn’t have a bulb. If you dig it up you’ll find a tough, stringy tap root. I don’t use it because the leaves and seeds provide all the fennel flavour I need. The root and stems are too tough to use as a vegetable but can also be used for flavour. And digging up the root means killing the plant, so no fennel next year, although it also self sows.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Huh, didn't know it didn't have any bulb ... I figured it wouldn't have what we generally think of as a fennel bulb, but tap root certainly was not what I was picturing.

i was also forgetting it was a perennial ... perhaps it needs to find a home not in a pot, and it can try again for the caterpillars next year.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

The ‘bulb’ on Florence fennel isn’t really a bulb, as in underground storage body. It’s the swollen stem and leaf bases and it grows above the ground, not under. If your fennel had a ‘bulb’ you’d be able to see it. If you try to pull your fennel up you’ll see just how tenacious that tap root is. Although Florence fennel and bronze fennel are the same species they’ve been bred over the years to provide different edibles. Herb fennel stems make very tough eating. You’d need to be desperate.

Btw, because of the taproot pot culture isn’t optimum for herb fennel, unless it’s a very deep pot. It grows above shoulder height in the open ground and the root can go down a foot.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    5 years ago

Agree with floral. Bronze fennel is bulbless but is a great herb to have in the garden. Its flowers attract a whole host of different pollinators. Don't be put off by the fact that you didn't have any swallowtails on it, if you have more than just this plant growing in your landscape they will eventually find it. I will say, however, that since you let the seeds mature on the plant you have no doubt let some drop and bronze fennel is a rampant self seeder. You are going to have lots of young fennel sprouts popping up next year.

Rodney

• snow (4/5)
    5 years ago

And shoots:) Flower shoots that is. I’m joining in the conversation to suggest harvesting the fennel pollen during bloom time next year. We like to edge the fatty side of a pork chop with pollen and hold it vertically in the frying pan to crisp up the edge (Mario Batali recipe - I used to like that guy...). Also delicious on vegetables.