skier2528

Meader hardy kiwi...fruit bearing, or non-bearing male???

skier2528
October 16, 2018

I've seen "Meader" hardy kiwi being sold as a fruiting "male" on two websites. Other highly reputable nurseries sell it as a non-fruiting male. I think the original plant is non-fruiting. Does anyone know what the deal is with the supposedly fruiting Meader? Is it really a vine that can pollinate other females and also bear fruit????

Not sure what you have been reading but Meader is a male clone and it is not self fertile (to my knowledge, Issai is the only self fertile cultivar of hardy kiwi). Male kiwi vines do not produce fruit regardless of what any websites may incorrectly state.

skier2528 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • skier2528

That's what I thought. Fast Growing Trees and Willis Orchards are both marketing "Meader" as a pollinator that sets fruit. Sounded too good to be true. Willis actually describes it as very unusual because it's an excellent pollinator yet does bear fruit. Grrrr. I was just hopeful that they are selling something that is not really Meader but does pollinate and bear. Both nurseries are pairing it with Anna as a pollinator pack.

• skier2528

Do you know if Issai will pollinate anything else well? I have early Cordifolia and would like to get Anna, so as to have both early and late crops. Also, how do you rate Issai fruit flavor? Thanks in advance!

• skier2528

I did have a male pollinator at my old house. Took cuttings and only got the Early Cordifolia to take...

The fact they are pairing it with Anna as a "pollinator package" should tell you something :-)

Issai is really a slightly less hardy hybrid (A. arguta x A. rufa) and won't pollinate anything else. It is 100% female but parthenogenic, so is able to produce a limited quantity of fruit without pollination (hence the self-fertile designation). It too will provide a much better crop if a male vine is present :-)

I have never tasted Issai - Hardy kiwis are not my favorites......I much prefer the fuzzy kiwis.

• skier2528

Thanks gardengal. I just can't grow fuzzies here in Zone 7. It's hard to find good hardy kiwis but the good ones are really good.

• garymc

Read some reviews of Willis. I had an experience with them several years ago. I was wondering the same thing. I bought a male Meador, female Ken's Red, and Dunbarton Oaks. Since then I've seen somewhere an advertisement for male and female Ken's Red and male and female Meador. I don't know what to believe. I couldn't find a Facebook group for hardy kiwis, so I started one yesterday. Hopefully some experienced growers of hardy kiwis will join up. Hardy Kiwi Growers