0

Can LVT be installed outdoors?

iamtiramisu
October 17, 2018

I was at a kitchen & bath showroom today looking for backsplash tile and asked if they had any outdoor rated tile for our fromt porch/entry and the guy asked me if I had considered LVT instead. I told him I hadnt and asked about exposure to freezing and humidity since it’s not a conditioned space and is covered, but only on the sides and top and is open in the front. He said it would be fine for all of those conditions but since I havent heard this before wanted to run it by people here to get thoughts/input.

• suseyb

The only LVT I know that can withstand a wide range of temperatures is Supercore by We Ship Floors. Even then, I would talk to the owner about it. Vinyl is not super wonderful about sun beating down on it all the time.

• iamtiramisu

Thank you! This wouldn’t have the sun beating on it for long as the front faces north and has a roof/is covered but just open in front, but the point is taken and I will definitely inquire on we ship floors about super core. The product in store was Mannington Audra, which I have not done any research on at all, so I need to. It’s not a huge area (6x6) so it’s not like it would be a hugely profitable job, but I dont just trust what anyone says just because they work in a certain store. You just never know. And even for only a few hundred $, I do t want to waste time and $ on anything that isn’t appropriate for the application.

• suseyb

If I were looking at an Adura Max product, I would look at the Adura Max Prime product. It will be most likely to withstand the temps you are asking it to withstand. Honestly, though, I think you are better off with tile.

iamtiramisu thanked suseyb
  • iamtiramisu
    Just FYI, Mannington said outdoor is a no-go. So glad I checked!!
  • suseyb

Did you ever call about the Supercore product? Or did you find something else?

• iamtiramisu

I called - complete response is in the comment above. Outdoor is a no go.

• suseyb

Aah. Just thought that was for the Mannington product.

• iamtiramisu
    Oh jeez, I’m sorry - totally missed (and forgot) that this was specific to Mannington. I did not call/ask about supercore, just moved back to my original thought of outdoor rated/frost proof tile.