Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne_johnson9701

We need some color and curb appeal, any ideas?

Anne Johnson
10 years ago
We are doing a total remodel to our house after a fire damaged a good portion of it. This house has always looked so blah from the outside so I would really like to find a way to make it stand out but still be stay within the craftsman era that it dates to (1914). So far we are turning the addition to the left back into a porch (last picture shows porch) and plan on building a enclosed entry for the front door to bring back some charm. I really like the look of the slate gray for an exterior, but not sure how it would work with this home. Any ideas and feedback are much appreciated!

Comments (16)

• westmanmarine
    10 years ago
    We used a charcoal grey on our old craftsman and it looked great. Used a crisp white (no cream) for trim for clean contrast. I think what you have done looks great. I can see the side with the parking pad could use some work. Do you need to keep that for parking. I would suggest maybe removing some of it closest to the house and doing a garden bed. It lacks some dimension on that side, so I would put some plants with varying heights/texture. This would also help to disguise the mismatch window placement. I could give you some plant suggestions if that area gets more sun or shade. Do you know what plant zone you're in? I think a nice evergreen tree would look nice to the right of the house on the side (there is a nice slow growing evergreen tree that gets to be about 8-ft. called a false hinoki cypress. It's a slender tree so doesn't get too wide). If you use that side area for BBQ'ing, you could make a flag stone patio area to the right and edge it with plants to give some barrier from parking pad. And do another garden bed to the left. It's a beautiful home! Have fun.
    Anne Johnson thanked westmanmarine
  • PRO
    Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
    10 years ago
    Sounds like you are trying to keep historical era in house. There are specific colours used on craftsman era homes. Search that out in Ideabooks and online thru google search. Benjamin Moore has historic colour palette, as do other paint companies now. Review what paint combo suggestions they have.....
    Anne Johnson thanked Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
  • Anne Johnson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ westmanmarine- thank you for the input, really helpful! We are in zone 5, I like your idea that some landscaping in place of the concrete would really help dress up the front. I'm glad to hear that gray has worked for your craftsman home, I have really liked the darker grays on homes but haven't seen any on that era.
  • westmanmarine
    10 years ago
    Couple other questions...I thought that the area by the concrete pad was the side of the house, with the porch as the front. Is that wrong? Does the concrete area get more sun or more shade?
  • Anne Johnson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The concrete pad is at the front of the house and is very shaded and very blah. Here is an old picture taken from the driveway
  • westmanmarine
    10 years ago
    That picture helps. I would also add a little cover for the front door, to make it more welcoming and look more like the front entrance, something like below. Maybe add a nice craftman light to hang under the cover or on house to right of door. A cool copper mailbox would be charming too, with a nice large cermaic pot to the left of the door.
    Crisp Architects · More Info

Wright Street Home · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/1940s-colonial-revival-remodel-exterior-traditional-exterior-minneapolis-phvw-vp~978763

As for plants, hydrangeas, hostas, astilbes, Japanese maples, Japanese forest grass, ferns (japanese painted ferns are pretty...pictured below) and hellebores are all good shade plant choices. Here's some pics:

Lakeside Retreat · More Info

(hellebores):
    Birch Skirt · More Info

Here's what the false hinoki cypress (slender) tree looks like (zones 4-8): http://www.europeannursery.com/cpg134/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=18

Looks like a nice retreat you have!
    Anne Johnson thanked westmanmarine
  • PRO
    Burton Ryan Designs
    10 years ago
    Larger window and door trim with big window sills, Real beautiful wood front and back doors not home depot garbage, and a better looking flu for that chimney that thing is the first thing you look at in the picture, and copper gutters if you can afford copper use like a galvinized not painted aluminum do things to get the neighbors to say wow and something you will be proud of the gutters will be like extra trim moldings. Have fun with your house it sounds like you inconvenienced now but nows the time to do things you wouldn't have if it wasn't for the fire.. If your a Christmas person don't forget to run an outlet somewhere under the eve of the roof and connect it to switch if possible.
    Anne Johnson thanked Burton Ryan Designs
  • fredm51
    10 years ago
    I think you are fixing the house like you should. Remodeling a house is expensive. This is a common house so pictures are plentiful. Landscaping would finish this off nicely.
    Anne Johnson thanked fredm51
  • Anne Johnson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really like the hellebores, just beautiful, and the would really stand out against grey siding!
  • Anne Johnson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Michael393- your right the the larger trim would make a big difference, it's so thin now that it's barely noticeable. As with the flu we were thinking of continuing the brick up from the chimney and possibly covering all of it in river rock(the latter sounds like a lot of work though!)
  • Anne Johnson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Does anyone have any input on exterior colors other than grey? I like the grey but I want to make sure I've considered some other color options before I settle on it, maybe a muted aqua with cream trim?
  • PRO
    Burton Ryan Designs
    10 years ago
    Try the Kelly Moore color Western acoustic
  • PRO
    Casa Bonita California
    10 years ago
    Perhaps you could use some pottery in bright colors to liven up the place a bit? We have a company (www.casabonitala.com) that sell's handmade terra cotta pottery and have many pieces you could place on the porch or in the yard to add some character to the house. We are currently having a holiday sale- 65% off all inventory until Dec 31st, so the pieces are extremely affordable. Here are some ideas that might work for you:
  • PRO
    Casa Bonita California
    10 years ago
    Here are some more pictures:
  • Sheila Beers
    last year

I assume the third photo shows the new "front" door to your home, and this looks much better than the end of the house with the brick chimney and the many windows, The trim needs to be considerably wider to be in the craftsman style, and I believe bright white trim would contrast well with the gray siding and dark roof and roof trim. i do hope you can find solid-wood craftsman-style entry doors to complete the craftsman look if that is what you want.