Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darren_harwood

Boscobel rose - do you grow it?

Darren Harwood
5 years ago

I just ordered this DA rose.

Anyobe on here grow it? Strong scent? Good repeat flowering? Im in love with the colour of it! Swoooooon!

Comments (45)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I dont have it yet but I ordered 3 for the spring because of all of the stellar reviews.

I have an area for as many as 3 roses and I am doing all of the same rose.

It was a toss up between Boscobel or Blue For You. I was inspired by yours and got two and they are in pots

I bet they would make a beautiful hedge Do you still love yours ?

Even if I dont do the 3 of Boscobel, I will find places for them.

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, now I have the same question since I tentatively have 3 on order.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Hmmm, it looks like we're having different experiences with Boscobel, noseo. I think your rose's blooms are beautiful, all though the orangish bloom is kind of unusual. I think my Boscobel is finishing up its fourth season, and I love it. It's grown steadily with no octopus canes, and now is about 4X4.5 feet. Bosco blooms regularly with short breaks between bloom periods, and is blooming some now, though our season is really grinding to a halt. It's a short season up here, and this fall seemed to be extra short. I'm ashamed to say, I haven't paid much attention to B's scent. I love the color, which is definitely a warm pink. I think that last shot of your plant covered in blooms is gorgeous.

Kristine, in your mild wonderful climate, Boscobel should get pretty big, though it might take a couple of years. If you have your doubts, start with one plant, perhaps. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    5 years ago

I love Boscobel and echo Diane's sentiments. My experience has been that it's a slow starter and I recall being unimpressed for the first couple years.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    5 years ago

I've had Boscobel for two years growing in a pot. I have also experienced the variable coloring dependent on the weather. It has almost no fragrance for me so far which is disappointing. What little scent there is reminds me of medicine or antiseptic. It is a good, reliable bloomer and was really the show stopper of my garden for a week or two this summer (wish I had taken a picture). It was almost continuously in bloom this year with the exception of a bad spider mite infestation during the hottest & driest part of the summer which was taken care of with one treatment of neem. It bounced right back after that. Here is a terrible photo taken in early June just before it was in full flush.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago

Diane, your Boscobel looks incredible. I wish mine looked like that! I was considering removing mine but now I'm wondering if I should give it more time. Of couse I've already made plans for that spot, but I guess plans can be changed.

5 years ago

One of the reasons that I was considering Bosco was the hope that it would remain short and be a orangy pink. But, I keep forgetting that DA s do tend to ve taller here

Hum? Maybe I will go back to my original plan of Ann Boleyn

So many roses, so few spots left

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Mine has a lot of peach and then it ages to soft old pink. Mine is staying small so far. I wish it will get big like Diane’s.

• Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    5 years ago

wow! Stunning pictures and lots of feedback ... thank you so much everyone!

Good luck kristine growing BFY AND BOSCOBEL. I’m sure you’ll love them :D

love you all for replying. Xxxxxxx

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Good luck with your new Boscobels, Darren. We'll be waiting for your photos next spring.

Dianela, your Boscobel looks big and beautiful to me, and I love all those blooms. I don't think Bosco gets huge anywhere like, say, Golden Celebration. Diane

Darren Harwood thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • C.j. Kammerzell Peets
    5 years ago

I like my Boscobel although I have noticed that when I cut it, the day after, the smell of the bloom turns stinky.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Mine looks and acts like noseometers' so far second season. Not impressive yet. I have a good photo, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Darren Harwood thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Yours is so beautiful, Sheila!

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

I love boscobel

• Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Omg these pictures are lovely. I’m so excited !!!! Can’t wait for summer. Thanks everyone. Xxxxx

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

I’ve got 2 that arrive first week of May from Roses Unlimited.

One for either side of the portico. One will get significantly more afternoon sun than the other, so we’ll see how that goes.

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    5 years ago

JC, do you mind sharing how much Rose Unlimited's shipping cost is? I can't find such info on their site.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

I really like how even though I did it all through email, she still broke out the charges for me.

Looks like $6 per rose.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    5 years ago

Shipping costs are on the website and varies by location and number of Roses

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    5 years ago

Thanks JC, that is so clear!

• a1an
    5 years ago

Riddle me this Rose Rosarian Gurus . How much does sun affect the color ? My siting/planting - sun comes up around 5:30-6 AM in the peak of summer and starts shading almost 12 hrs later ! Lotsa lotsa sun

• Karen Pruscha
    4 years ago

I have this one, a great little rose. Does not get as big as some other DA varieties. Great scent, desease resistance etc. I am not in love with it somehow..

• Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

Nana doll, in your top picture would that be Jude to the left and The Prince to the right? Your roses are just beautiful!

4 years ago

My Boscobel improved the second year and beyond.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Thistle, thanks so much--that is Golden Celebration to the left of Boscobel with a glimpse of Wild Blue Yonder to the right. Below is a photos from this year.

Sheila, I'm glad your Bocobel has improved. I would expect steady improvement for the next couple of years. Those blooms in your last year's pic were gorgeous. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

OK. Wild Blue Yonder is a must have! Thank you!

• a1an
    4 years ago

My 2nd flush is errring on the pink side. I'm blaming it on the summer intensity. Suns rays are pretty intense already at 7'ish AM

• Shelby Jones
    4 years ago

I have a boscobel according to the label but mine has never looked like the photos. I wish it did, what can I do to make it grow and bloom like it’s supposed to? I like in Kentucky so we have cold winters and hot humid summers

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Shelby Do you have pictures of your boscobel? I have gotten multiple mislabeled roses before. It could be you don’t have boscobel. It also could be due to being a young rose. Please share any pictures and we could perhaps help you figure it out.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Sometimes Boscobel is more pink, typically cooler weather and sometimes more coral in warmer weather.

warm weather

cooler weather

• Shelby Jones
    4 years ago

Here are a few!

4 years ago

You are right Shelby. That does not look like Boscobel.

4 years ago

Those pointy tips on the petals don't look like Boscobel at all.

Mine today in mid 90's temperatures.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Could it be jubilee celebration Shelby ? Pictures vary online , but mine looked like yours and came from roses unlimited

• Shelby Jones
    4 years ago

@lilyfinch I just looked up pictures of JC and I think that might be what it is! I was thinking maybe queen of Sweden but the coloring is more like jubilee celebration. I’m sad I don’t have the boscobel, maybe I’ll risk getting one shipped to me. Thanks everyone!

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

I looked around to see if I could find any boscobel pictures that looked pointy, but I couldn’t . I think they are always smoother petals even tho the color changes. I agree it looks like jubilee celebration. Jubilee celebration is one the most beautiful Austin’s and should get very full and fluffy. Now you can you add another boscobel and they will look great together.
    here is Bosco looking super pink

here is showing those peach tones. One of my favorite roses in the garden. It blackspots here .

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Here are some shots of Jubilee Celebration. In hot weather on a young rose the blooms can have a more open, shorter petal look. One of my JCs came mislabeled as something else from Lowes.

Warmer weather

Cooler Weather

fully opened, partially opened, & bud stages

Jubilee Celebration has fat rounded buds

• Shelby Jones
    4 years ago

Mine aren’t full at all. Maybe it’s because they’re younger or because of where they’re planted. I’m waiting back from DA to get a second opinion. I really wanted a full large cabbage like rose, I have a Litchfield Angel as well but they haven’t produced one bud since I’ve bought it, maybe because I have those potted.

10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Boscobel, today.

• Diane Brakefield
    10 months ago

My Boscobel army last year. It's popping now and will be even bigger this year. I love this rose. Diane

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

I love this rose, too. When it hits a flush, it's so full of b.looms. i usually put a bunch in a v.ase and bring it inside so I can enjoy the fragrance. It's not as strong as many fragrances on my garden, but it's one of my favorites. It's so complex and lovely with hints of pear, vanilla, sandalwood.

Here it is starting a flush today.

Yours are beautiful, Noseo and Diane

10 months ago

Diane and Librarian - yours are gorgeous! i wasn’t terribly impressed with mine at first, but it just keeps getting better.