Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancizim

Pros and cons of rain showers

nancizim
5 years ago

We are re-doing Master bath and have only a shower (no tub). The shower is the size of my old existing tub which has now been removed. I want a very contemporary look and am thinking of a square or rectangular rain shower but can I still get a strong shower or are rain showers only gentle spraying of water. (i.e. I like heavy rain!!) Never had one before. Thanks in advance for advice.

Comments (30)

• K R
    5 years ago
    This is true. I had to change out my rain shower head because with my energy efficient tankless water heater it never got hot enough. It didn’t allow enough flow to signal heat.
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

you'll want a separate hand held shower for when you dont want to wash your hair in any case.

we do love our rain head, you get drenched very fast with fat drops... quite an experience.

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

Personally. I hate them. Recently stayed at a hotel with one & it took forever to rinse my hair after shampooing.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

one shouldnt decide for or against a rain head based on your experience, good or bad, at a hotel or your favorite cousin's house. it depends on the fixture and the water pressure, i wouldnt count on hotels changing all of their regular showers to rain heads and expect a uniformly good result. i believe the important thing is that the water comes straight down, not at an angle.

ours rocks, thats all i can say.

• gm_tx
    5 years ago

I'll also note that I have no problem using the rain head on days when I don't wash my hair. The water does not necessarily shoot straight down on you. The head tilts, and even with just a slight tilt, the water showers down in an arc, so it's quite easy to wash your body without your head getting wet.

Might be different if the head is installed in the ceiling, though, but I can't speak to that.

• nancizim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm in an apartment building so the water heater isn't a problem. I just was concerned that I would not have a strong shower if using a rain shower head. I like just standing under a strong shower to get going in the morning!! Although we plan on putting in a handheld as well, I must say that I have one now and rarely use it!

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    5 years ago

You won't get a strong spray -- if this is important to you then avoid the rain shower and go with a standard shower head. Good luck!

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

I stayed in a citizenM hotel which had the [Hansgrohe 27112401[(https://www.houzz.com/products/hansgrohe-27112401-raindance-white-chrome-exposed-shower-trim-prvw-vr~87790927) (also available in all chrome) and had the best shower of my life.

• girlwithponytail
    5 years ago
    Agreed with pp. we have a rain head installed from the ceiling. The rain head is meant to “drop” water down on you, not shoot pressurized water at you. If you’re looking for high-pressure water, this isn’t it.
    nancizim thanked girlwithponytail
  • tatts
    5 years ago

It's a rain shower, not a hurricane shower. It's a gentle shower, and really gentle if your piping isn't sufficient.

• Shell King
    5 years ago

I don't like them. I feel like I can't breathe, which I know is weird. I'm so glad we put a regular shower head, a rain shower from the ceiling, and a hand shower in our master bath. I think it would be hard to choose only a rain shower head without trying it first.

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    5 years ago

most rain shower heads are weaker but there are specific ones that are stronger for example dornbracht has a more powerfull rain shower head. chweck this one out. its top of the line. my favorite.http://focalpointhardware.com/dornbracht-28755980-deque-rain-shower-with-ceiling-fixing-p-12961.html

• nancizim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for suggestion! Will check out!

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

I have a 10" round Hansgrohe Raindance S 27474 that is ceiling-mounted. I have to set it a couple degrees warmer than I do the hand-held, but DH uses his wall shower head at the same temperature, and he does not like it too hot. I get drenched with my rain head and use it to wash my hair. I know exactly what Shell King means about feeling like he is suffocating, I get that if my head is tilted just right, too.

My shower head at Build dot com

• jpp221
    5 years ago
    I personally dislike them. I like a bit of oomph behind my flow. It just feels better, sort of like a back scratcher.
  • nancizim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all these comments! I am beginning to re-think whether a rain shower is really what I want....they just seemed to have such a nice contemporary look

(especially the square and rectangle ones) Maybe I need to look for a contemporary looking REGULAR shower head :) where I can get my back scratched like jpp221...ha ha

since I like a little "oomph" as well! I am just finding it hard to find contemporary fixtures that fit that bill unless they cost a small fortune. (LOVE Fantini!!)

• Robin Manning
    5 years ago
    I’ve been trying to figure out how to reply to nancyinmich. Hopefully this works.
    1. I meant to say a touch-less faucet.
    2. The vanity with white sink you show photo of, Ive had and disliked very much. It’s much too shallow and makes a mess every time it’s turned on.
    3. I mean seamless vanity to sink as in the term integrated so there’s no seams. Much easier to keep clean.
    4. I don’t have room for two sinks as I need the counter space.
    5. Houzz selected an interior designer and I haven’t gotten her to respond.
    There’s a lot going on in my household right now. I’m disabled 10 years and my husband had hip replacement Thursday and we have a 2 1/2 yo foster child 3 days a week. I haven’t had time to correspond to the company again in the past week.
    6. I really love the extra wide farm sink so I could put two faucets on it (since I only get one sink)
    7. I have 220 square feet. I had an exterior door put in since it’s a ranch & at the ends of the house where there’s no other bathrooms.
    Between that taking up my original vanity space I had to put vanity on same wall as sink.
    8. Thank you so much for your help, advise and patience
    Robin
  • nancizim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sorry but you've responded to the wrong person!

• wantsideas
    5 years ago

I have tried a few in hotels and don't care for them. If you can try them out at friends or hotels before you decide. It's a very personal decision. For me, they look great. But not very functional.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Nancizim, look at the Speakman brand. I bought one for hubby and it is great. Let me go see if I can find it....nope. Mine is an Anystream by Speakman and it has only five outer black nozzles and then some inner holes in the center. It is a lot like the Hotel S-2005-H and similarly priced. I know I bought mine 5 or more years ago, though it only got installed this summer. I know that one of the pros who visits this forum recommends Speakman.

Speakman link

• PRO
    Wilkinson Brochier Interior Design
    5 years ago

Like you I always coveted a rain head shower, so dramatic and visually cool. That is until I installed one and realized that it is fabulous if you have time to indulge in it everyday and not to worry about getting your hair wet and having to dry it. Fortunately, we installed both a rain and a normal shower head as we had the space to do both. But what I found is my husband used the rain shower head and I used the other on the daily.

It sounds like you too could probably install both or at least a hand held shower head to give you daily lifestyle options.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

That is working for us, too. I wash my hair every shower, so I am the one using the rainhead. DH hates getting his face wet, so uses the wall shower. If you have the room and the budget, I recommend doing the plumbing to put it in the center of the shower. It gives you the most room to move around under it. No running into walls.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I prefer an adjustable stream hand held. Rain shower is fine if you have time to stand there and indulge yourself. I find a hard shower is more stress relieving for me. My bigger issue is always having plenty of hot water.

• K R
    5 years ago
    The Speakmans look good, I’m looking for a new shower head/handheld system for my bathroom remodel. Pressure is of the utmost importance. I’m thinking this one... https://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?product_id=VS-123014&sscid=b1k2_b68w&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=290560&utm_campaign=136717&sscid=b1k2_b68w Anyone have any info or reviews on it?
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Karen Rose, I have no experience with that one. If you like pressure, i used one of those real minimalist shower heads for my handheld for years. Like this

That button is for on/off and it is the only adjustment, though you may slow the stream instead of stopping it. I needed a brass piece to change the thread from male to female (or vice versa) to put it on my shower hose. Mine hung from the showerhead connector, not from a wall supply, so I had a valve up there to turn to switch the water from the showerhead on the wall. then the hose hung down 5 ft, and this showerhead did not touch the bottom of the tub. Since it was straight from the hose to the head, the water was pointed to the tub bottom when you turned it on - no spray to dodge. It made it perfect for washing dogs, as it was pointed the right direction and it could be turned on and off with the one hand. I also loved it for rinsing myself, since I could hold it cupped in my palm and just spray wherever I pointed my hand. It was small enough to get into any crease and the aim was precision, the way I held it. There is just enough "hardware" between the nut you see at the end, the 1-1.5" threaded piece, and the hose to give you a good hand-hold. I really do not like my current hand held head, and may go pack to it. The only downfall is that it is solid brass, and with that metal weight, it could possibly swing and bounce off the wall and chip a tile if you just dropped it. I never got any chips in the porcelain tub using it, though. With three dogs, it got dropped a lot at bath time.

• Melissa R
    5 years ago

We put one in our master bath because I wanted one so badly, I thought I would love it...not so much. My husband loves it though. So he gets the master bath shower and I'll use the main house shower. There just isn't enough pressure to wash my hair and the handheld part of it is underwhelming.

• TJW
    5 years ago

We are in the middle of doing our master bath and will be adding a rain shower head . . . ADDING to our existing Speakman (regular, not hand-held). The best of both worlds.

• nancizim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sounds like the best of both worlds! Which Speakman do you have? And what type of rain shower head are you thinking of? (from the ceiling, I presume)

• TJW
    5 years ago

Speakman S-2005-HB-BC Hotel Anystream High Pressure Adjustable Shower Head, Brushed Chrome

Yes, from the ceiling. I like the appeal of the Kohler Real Rain but not the price tag.