swimpy

Is a house without a bathtub hard to sell?

Susan
My husband wants to get rid of the only bathtub in the house and put in a large shower instead. I've always thought that for resale you should have at least one tub in the house. We're not planning to sell, but someday it will have to be sold. I'm going to take a poll. Let me know what your opinion is and why. Thanks in advance.
You will never sell that house without a tub.
Tubs are not that big of a deal. It'll be fine to put in a shower.

• meg613

Frank Johnson, sure I could put in a tub before resale or knock off some money on the asking price. It's not like the plumbing is going away; drain and water supply will remain in place, if someone wants to add a tub. And my experience is that people buy a house and redo everything to their own liking anyway. I have a new neighbor with the exact same floor plan as mine. He completely gutted the bathroom in question, moving the bathtub perpendicular to the original position. This allowed him to have a 66x32x16 inch tub. That is a great solution: a tub that is long enough, that the shallowness does not prohibit a good soak; and at 16 inches deep, is not as treacherous climbing over for showering. But I suspect moving major plumbing elements will make the remodel a lot more costly. Eventually I will sit down with the contractor and hammer out these details. It's not that I dislike bathtubs, it is just that some of my constraints are making me think outside the traditional (bathtub) box.

• cgmatlga

Chris here again. I'm still fending off people that want the house just for the bathroom with the 5x8 shower. It's gotten even more attention because of the environmental concerns with filling up a bathtub. I thought I should let you know that it's a good idea to point that out. Again, if it's that important, give them an allowance.

Can whirlpool tub be converted to regular tub?

We were wandering around the PVC tube section at Home Depot and found knock out test caps like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-in-ABS-Pipe-Test-Cap-with-Knockout-39103/100113503?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-VF-F_D26P-G-D26P-26_1_PIPE_AND_FITTINGS-MULTI-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-PIPE_AND_FITTINGS_General&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_D26P-G-D26P-26_1_PIPE_AND_FITTINGS-MULTI-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-PIPE_AND_FITTINGS_General-71700000055362044-58700005218218026-92700046076001524&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S5krIsf9nAhlTsGOoWGJFrGN123o0L6PFswoGz4SZFe18yLPF5et6EaAqp7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds They fit over our whirlpool jet openings...we managed to take the heads off the openings and unscrew the intake cover. Hopefully with some intense glue and silicone caulking we can finally have a soaking tub.

Does every house need a bath tub? Does it mater for resale?

Of course agents and buyers will use the absence of a tub to negotiate. You could be faced with adding a tub to satisfy a condition for sale. However, Its also your house to live in and too many times we really don't settle down in our own houses. Kinda sad. Im not sure which is worse. I don't think Ive taken a bath in 30 years, but a bathtub can be very handy for other things. I wash our huge comforter by hand in the tub. (Its more convenient and it gets much cleaner.) For me, Id keep at least one bath. I can still get a good shower in the tub.

Looking for a bath tub WITHOUT slip resistant coating

Thanks nnigrt - you made me laugh! I'm currently in a home built in 1979 and have this tub and am doing just fine... I would not have expected this to be such a challenging design question! I am pretty confident that this one is porcelain on steel, based on the price level of this house. Sooz001, thanks for reminding me that the longer tubs likely come in the shorter version. I'll work with the supply showroom. I was hoping to stay away from cast iron, but now expect that we will probably end up with that material. Thanks again for the inputs!

Master suite bathroom: tub or no tub

In working on remodels, I get the question quite a bit. From my years of working on those and hearing what realtors say, look at the tub like this. As long as you have one tub to bath in or you wish to soak in, you should be good regardless of floor. The older you get, the less likely you are to take a bath but use that tub to perhaps bath a grandchild, which, you may want as far away from your master as possible at the end of the day (no play on words there). Lastly, IF you are to put in a tub, take a good look at how long you'll stay in the house and see if that investment over a blown out shower is really worth it. In terms of resale. . . a blown out shower in a master goes a long way for a lot of people these days. A cool floating tub is neat, but the shower. . . much more useable on a daily basis. Best of luck on your choice though!
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern

For resale value it’s almost best to have a tub.

Young families always look for that for the children for their baths

J Design Group
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://
    www.JDesignGroup.com

• Alexandra Sasha Pasternak

I am a shower person and think that bathtubs are good only for bathing children, therefor if you have a little house go for it BUT if you have a big house I wouldn't remove the bathtub.

Sasha - www.NestingJourney.com

• dsach
    I have 3 young children. Until each reached the age of 1, we washed them in a baby tub inside of the larger tub. This served 2 purposes; it contained the baby and supported them while there were seated. This type of plastic reservoir can be bought online or at any child store, is inexpensive and can be used in a shower stall or tub. It also saves on water - think filling a 5 gallon reservoir versus even 1/3 of your tub. Once the kids can stand 1-1.5 years, using a hand held wand makes the process so much more efficient. Because the wand can be installed in a shower, the tub is less efficient (consumes more water); more dangerous (all three children have slipped in the shower) and is ultimately more difficult for children to enter and exit. In my opinion if you want a shower, put one in and forget what the realtor says.
  • petlover

Personally, I wouldn't buy a home unless it had 1 tub. Used them for my own young kids, now for my young grandkids plus it's so relaxing to just soak after a long day. (we've converted our tubs to showers except one we'll always keep).

• Brandi Morgan

I love this thread! I have an old ranch home with 1.5 baths. I’m working on a renovation of the main bath and currently has the alcove tub/shower. I was going to update it now I’m ripping it out and doing curbless with curved shower door to add a little more room and comfort. I cannot wait. I added a hotsprings hot tub in my backyard right outside of my bedroom so why on earth would I want a bathtub!? So glad I stumbled on this. A friend of mine remodeled her multimillion dollar home and never uses the tub. I think they are becoming prehistoric.

• staabt

Brandi Morgan has it right imo, Tubs can be construed from anything. It makes absolute sense to shower for cleanliness, even after a bath, swim or hot tub experience. Bath tubs can be portable too. I do think the idea of re-conceptualizing the homes ability to provide a cleaning tub is insightful. There are many reasons why tubs or basins are still practical (e.g.-medicimal baths for backs, sunburns, babies, dogs etc.) however, having the ability to create an environment conducive to an Engineers epitaph is paramount to our future renovations. Engineers should sustain that "Form follows function!", and if a shower is all one needs then a bath tub is like holding ones false teeth in the toilet to clean them fast by flushing, or blowing ones nose on ones own t-shirt because they are of the belief that clothes washing machines clean everything; thus the bathtub in my opinion is recycling dirt from one part of the body to the next. Moreover, Concessions are a way of life in buying and selling homes. Use it in a grand way and the next home owner will want to understand what you were able to make of the land and use.

• Neeharika Vinod
    It all depends on:
    1. How much you hate a bath tub; I dislike it a lot. First order in a new place is to get rid of the tub
    2. How big is the condo/home. Small condos in large metros should be good candidates for shower-only baths
    I bought a 2 bed 2 bath condo in Chicago, got rid of the tub in master bath and replaced it with a big shower including body jets. Guest bath is too small to have a tub. Haven’t had a problem renting it, potential tenants actually love the master bath. I recently got a 1 bed condo in SF and considering doing the same. I have taken 2 baths in my entire life, both in spas.

Come on people. Live a little! I am in the process of doing a full renovation of a 1 bed and 1 bath condo and am replacing the original tub with a jacuzzi spa tub. It is a luxury to experience a whirlpool bath... you remember the saying "Calgon take me away!" My wife wanted to ditch the tub in favor of the now very popular glass enclosed shower stall but I wanted the option to relax in a jacuzzi and also be able to take a shower. Options are great folks. It's not about resale value but having a choice. Also I did not want to be a slave to cleaning grungy grout lines and glass shower doors. My acrylic tub cleans to shiny brand new with just a sponge and a few light swipes. No scrubbing required. It's very low maintenance. And for those people who say they can just use their outdoor spa or swimming pool, one word: chlorine... yuck. My spa experience uses fresh water every single time. Do yourself a favor and ditch the tub for a jacuzzi, not a shower!

• Ruth Britt

it depends on your community... if you‘re market is predominantly adult (e.g. young professionals &/or 55+) you can probably get away with the shower.... if a lot of your potential buyers are families, you’ll have more luck attracting multiple potential buyers with a tub.

• marjie1059

I have several children, and one of the most onerous tasks was to bathe young children while "great with child". I would have soooo loved to ditch the tub. Sure, the kids had fun playing in the tub, but I think to not have the tub would have been lovely.

• sm m
    I used a shower for my kids when they were little and loved it! I also liked it for safety
  • that_tile_girl

I know this post is old now, but as a realtor/designer I can say your house will sell just fine with or without a tub - this question comes up quite often. You can keep in mind that if a buyer really wants a tub it is usually not a deal breaker - but they will take that into consideration when they make an offer, usually reducing it by a couple thousand dollars that they will consider necessary for them to remodel that bathroom.

What did you end up deciding on?

• Neeharika Vinod
    Resale depends on market, not bathtub vs not. I have condos in Chicago and San Francisco, both markets where apartments having been sell fast. Both condo sizes are better suited for young professionals, at most with one baby. This demographic would rather prefer shower than tub. I’ve been renting the apartments out as well with no issues at all. People actually appreciate the large, beautiful marble showers in place.

In short, all depends on the market your property is in.
  • cjdo123
    I noted in this space about 3 years ago that I almost didn’t buy a condo because it didn’t have a shower, only a giant tub. All I could think of was $$$ to remove it. Finally pulled it out after using small tub/shower combo for a few years (very unsatisfactory, I might add) and am about to enjoy a good big shower! Tubs are too dirty, too dangerous, too unhealthy (uti’s anyone?) and too hard to clean!
  • ljruble1074

Personally I like to have both options--showers for quick cleaning and tubs for long soaking, especially in my older years when arthritis makes my joints really ache. Or after a long session of physical labor. I wouldn't have bought any of my houses if they hadn't had a tub in at least one bathroom. Just my own personal choice. But I think whirlpool tubs are a total waste of space. And a real pain to clean!! (I have one now and I hate it!!!) Hot tubs are also a waste, having had one at my first house. After the initial novelty wore off, I rarely ever used it. A waste of space and electricity!!!

• NYCish
    HU-36321516 have you a had a jacuzzi recently? They are a pain in the butt to keep clean. I don’t even use ours anymore; it’s disgusting. And it is newer. AND I clean it often!! And what flows through it after the junk comes out of the pipes.... fresh water it is not. I’d never get one again.
  • ljruble1074

The junk in the pipes really turned me off too. What a horrible design flaw!! I'd never get one again either!!!

Lou Vaughn Remodeling
    I suggest interviewing listing agents if concerned. They should have the data to help answer the question.
    Lou Vaughn Remodeling
  • Kathleen Magyar-Lutte
    last year

There is nothing as relaxing as soaking in a bathtub. It is especially nice to have the option of a bathtub to soothe aching muscles. I have danced all my life and am now retired and I look forward to a nice long soak with some bath salts,lighting some candles and perhaps listening to some music. I take showers too but would never do without my bathtub. I think young couples with children would find a bathtub handy for bathing children as well. Someone mentioned cleaning their children in the shower, don’t understand how that is a pleasant experience for the child or parent. If a home has only one bathroom,it should absolutely have a tub in my opinion. Showering is so utilitarian...get in ,get out. A bath on the other hand is a luxury. No way are they becoming obsolete. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

• Kristi Brennan

I am facing the same decision. I've decided to remove the only tub, which is in a very small guest bathroom without windows or floor space. Soaking in that tub does not appeal, the ambience too claustrophobic. A nice walk-in shower would fit the room much better. Also, My house (2bed 2 bath) is also not likely to appeal to families - will be more attractive to retirees or single people, perhaps a young couple. I also think stepping over a bathtub wall to shower is problematic, especially for older people, but a potential hazard to anyone.

• midmodfan

A house can not appeal to everyone. We just sold our tubless bungalow within two days.

• Daisy S

I don’t understand the comments about gross Jacuzzi tub pipes. There are many cleaners made for this - just check Amazon for instance. I routinely use the Jacuzzi brand cleaner and my tub is gunk free.

Lou Vaughn Remodeling

Consult with your local realtors.

Lou Vaughn Remodeling

Buyers with children typically want at least one tub

We have showers only in our three bathrooms. My husband, an old jock, needs to soak. He has a “family only” outside hot tub, adjacent to our master bathroom and, in summer, the outside shower. He keeps it immaculate (salt water). So much more theraputec (emotional and physical) than a bath tub. IMO.

Like anything else which comes with a house you buy, cleanliness, or not, is because of the owners' maintenance. We bought a gorgeous house and the master had a jacuzzi bath/shower. The water jets were so disgusting, we brought in pros to clean them. And….we never used the jacuzzi again. When we sold those vents were pristine.

When my children were babies, I bathed them in the (scoured) kitchen sink. Once they were up on their feet, into the shower they went.

• binamah

I am struggling with the exact same thing. I absolutely hate the tub in our bathroom (however the kids enjoy it). I was 200% sure that I was going to put a nice brand new shower and remove the tub however after bringing a broker in the house she advised me against it, especially since we are looking to sell in about a year. Because I am making the bathroom very modern I think the tub is going to ruin the look. Any thoughts?

• Kristi Brennan

Well...I really think it is overblown as a resale "must". I would personally keep a tub:

- IF it is a nice soaking tub in a nice space. The function is to relax, unwind, ease muscle pain.... if the tub/space doesn't fit that function it won't be used - a waste.

- IF the house would be attractive to families w little kids. Even that may be overblown, there is a small window when we used the bath for our kiddos.

• Jenni James

We just did this to have a more modern shower look. However, I believe there are just as many people who no longer want a tub...so go for it.

• binamah

@jenni your bathroom looks great. Thanks for this. It gave me an idea.

• Brandi Morgan

No tub for me! I have a hot tub right outside of my bedroom. This is what it looks like now as I finally started the project. It’s a smaller 1968 ranch home. Excited for the shower with LED lit niche .... my aussie photo bombing

• Kristi Brennan

@Jenni James can you tell me where you got your large framed mirror? Have been looking for one that spans the countertop, 60+ inches...it is hard to find! Love your bathroom by the way!

• DCF-Z6A

Switched our bathtub out for a shower. 2B/1.5B. KD said to keep the tub but we never used it and we plan to die in the house. Regardless, this would be a retirement house, not a family house. No regrets!

• Jenni James

Krisit: I got it from Wayfair...& yes it was hard to find the right one. This one is 72”. You might try Hayneedle also...had some luck there.

• mrnswt1

In the last 14 years our bath has been used once. It usually sits there and flies die in it. You have to clean something that is never used. It also takes a lot of water to clean it and if you bathe in it. Its really a traditional feature these days.

• peach05

Kristi, maybe way too late with this advice. We renovated a bath and required a large mirror. Contractor built it to fit the space and saved us money.

• marjie1059

DCF--looove the shower! Yes, that is exactly what I want! What a beautiful job! (Do you mind me asking a ballpark $ figure of the cost, and the region where you live?) I'm procrastinating terribly, but we both want to ditch the tub for a shower.

• DCF-Z6A

Thank you @marjie1059! It's more than a year later and I'm still walking into that bathroom and pinching myself. I live in NE Ohio. I'd have to check my records for a ballpark - we went through a KD - but I can at least tell you the elements that we pulled together. (And, honestly, as I think about it now, I can already see the posts mocking me for whatever I say I paid and I'm not up for it! This site can be brutal sometimes.)

Countertop is Cambria Montgomery.
    Cabinets are Shiloh Eclipse.
    Shower tiles are Winter Morning from Tile Shop. (Conveniently avoided the need for schluter since these tiles are an eased edge!)
    Shower niche and curb are Cambria Weybourne.
    Floors are Caeser Ceramics Run Clay tile.
    Faucets are Moen, sinks are Kohler.
    Shower fixtures are a hodge-podge of Kohler, Delta, Jaclo and Speakman.
    Paint is SW Aquasphere but it's since been changed to SW Krypton (kept Westhighland White trim) and it's a much more soothing look.

• DCF-Z6A

Whoops! Forgot the niche tile: Ceramic Tiles Intl Debut Petal Mosaic in Reflection.

• marjie1059

Oh, this is great! Interesting note--I'm actually in the same area! I asked about region because I know prices vary widely according to region.

I am just amazed at how the area is transformed....did you already know pretty much what you wanted or did the KD walk you through figuring out your goals and the decisions?

• DCF-Z6A

marjie, we had no idea what was possible with the space. He asked our priorities, needs, wants, budget goals, etc., and then drafted ideas for us to work with. It was part of a larger renovation connected to our office and kitchen, which gave him some flexibility. He was great. We never would have known how lovely our home could be without his guiding the project.

We picked out all the design elements either on our own or through his design connections; his original budget for the bathroom included MUCH less expensive tile but when I saw that Winter Morning tile on display I knew it was perfect and we cut in other areas to accommodate. It was absolutely worth it!!

• Lars

A lot of it has to do with your geographic location and demographics. Our realtor in Palm Springs told us that no one in PS takes baths and that we would be fine with replacing both of our bathtubs with walk-in showers. Families with children will want to pay less for a house anyway (at least in this area), and adults who prefer showers will pay more for bathrooms that have updated walk-in showers.

It's really too hot here to take baths, and we have a spa next to the pool, in case anyone wants to soak in hot water, which we do on a regular basis, but we like taking showers afterwards.

• Brandi Morgan

Love love love my new walk in shower! It’s the only way to fly...

• Lori Chavez

I live in predominantly a 55 + development In California. A bathtub is a danger, especially for me with two knee replacements. If I take it out will it be a resale issue or code violation?

• Frank Johnson

no you should be ok. If you move out just put it back in you'll be right mate!

• Lori Chavez

Seriously? You make it sound so easy.

• peach05

We are in a condo in Fl, most occupants are over 65. That huge jetted tub takes up a lot of real estate, uses a ton of water and collects dusts because, well, whoever in this house takes a bath? It’s going! And Frank, given how much work it is to get out, replacing it will not be an option I ever explore! It’s not a light fixture.🤣🤣🤣

• marjie1059

I think Frank was joking.

That's the "fun" of screens...trying to determine how a person meant the words on the screen.