0

Need help with kitchen counter and backsplash!

Amy Reynolds
Looking to replace counter and backsplash and am overwhelmed by the choices! Concerned about choosing a backsplash that's too busy given the small kitchen. Like glass tiles for backsplash and granite for countertop but do we do a patterned strip of glass tile within a solid color stone tile? What design above the cooktop? Dark countertop? Help!

• Amy Reynolds
    Here are pictures...
  • 0825sam
    I really like black counters with those cabinets for a more updated look with a simple backsplash. This is a kitchen I really like.
    http://houzz.com/photos/57949
  • 0825sam
    Although I love the marble in the above photo I'd choose something that picks up the floors better.
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    Keep it really simple. If you add an accent strip, eventually you're going to get really tired of it. Your granite will make a bold statement, so keep the backsplash light and simple. Would you consider quartz instead of granite? There are many manufacturers and they are all basically the same composition of stone particles and resin--just the colours and designs vary. You'll get better performance than granite at a similar price. With the modern look of your kitchen, I would recommend quartz for sure. Look at this article for some good information: http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/07/30/mike-holmes-rock-out-with-granite-countertops-and-others/
  • Amy Reynolds
    I like the look of glass tiles... Still ok to use if its a more monotone pattern? Or will they date the kitchen quickly? I'm a bit tired of seeing kitchens with cream stone tile with accents here and there.
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    When you said 'glass tile' I was thinking glass subway-style tile. I hope you didn't mean the little mosaics that are made up of very narrow horizontal random-type pieces. I am sick and tired of those. They looked fresh about ten years ago but no-one should be using them now as they will make your kitchen look dated right away, and that would be very sad after all the time and expense of a renovation. So, far better to go with a simple glass brick look, or even a lovely glossy porcelain subway style. Search 'subway tile' on houzz for some beautiful examples. The layout doesn't have to be a brick pattern either. It can be stacked or you can have a brick pattern that's vertical instead of horizontal (for some nice height). I'm rushing off now so don't have time to search for photos to illustrate what I've said. Hopefully this will help :)
  • 0825sam
    There are so many tile options that you may want to choose your granite first if you want something with movement so that you can pick up a color from the granite for your backsplash. Do you have an inspiration kitchen or photos you like? Counter you are leaning towards. Then you may get better suggestions.
    I like the idea of a glass subway tile. I agree with you to avoid the tumbled travertine and accent glass - I think that is looking dated.
  • Amy Reynolds
    Thinking of either uba tuba or black pearl granite countertops, bone polished travertine subway tile backsplash, and dark (black?) composite sink. Thoughts?
  • gsflamingo
    I just finished my kitchen with uba tuba and used the travetine with inserts of uba tuba. I love it. See photo
  • Amy Reynolds
    Love it! Thanks for posting! Does the uba tuba come off as really green? It doesn't look like it does in your pictures. I don't want it to look like We have green counters, rather black counters that are more interesting to look at with perhaps a hint of green. Our other thought is just to go with black pearl.
  • gsflamingo
    Many of the uba tuba slabs have more gold specs and mother of pearl specs in it rather than the greens. Mine has no green in it at all. "Peacock green" is very similar to uba tuba in that it is black with the green shading.
    CC&J Designs. LLC
    Where are you located? We are in Pendleton SC and would love to help you find what you are looking for....you asked about some countertops in some of my pics and it is actually uba tuba. Which does look more black until you get up close and see all of the character.
  • Amy Reynolds
    We are in The Woodlands, TX. I believe we have decided on Uba tuba granite countertops and crema marfil marble polished subway tile backsplash with some kind of accent over the cooktop. We are also going to raise the cabinet over the cooktop t add some interest, along with adding an arched piece of cabinetry to the bottom of that cabinet to hide an under cabinet light as well as thicker crown molding along the top of all cabinets.

Now looking for two pendant lights for over the counter behind the sink! So many choices but fun to shop!