0
mishymush88

I rescued these succs from Home Depot and would like help IDing them!

Mish
last modified: November 1, 2018

I know the long green one is an aloe Vera, but the rest are a mystery! The one on the right of the aloe I think is a wandering Jew, but I could be wrong. It’s hard to know how to take care of them when I don’t know what they are! Thanks a bunch for the help.

• Rob Blomquist

ThatsThat's a tough pic to id plants on, shots of each plant individually would be nice. Yes, you have an Aloe, but probably not Vera.

• Mish

I didn’t know aloe came otherwise good to know! I’ll post some individual ones

• Mish

I guess the aloe isnt showing up..

• Sans2014

You have Kalanchoe tomentose (chocolate soldier), Hen & Chicks (sempervivum). Echeveria but I don't know which type.

• Crenda 10A SW FL

First plant is Senecio, possibly Chalk Sticks. Second one looks like a variegated jade.

There are 100s of kinds of Aloe plants. Lots of different patterns and colors on the leaves and some have prominent teeth, others do not. Search for Aloe plant pictures and have fun looking at them. But I agree that your Aloe does not look like Aloe vera.

• Mish

@crenda I was thinking Chalk Sticks too, but I’m new to succulents so good for me for being right. I’ll look up Aloe plants and see what I come up with, thanks for the tip.

• Crenda 10A SW FL

Oh - I hope I didn't sound like "look it up yourself." What I meant was more along the lines of "wait until you see all the wonderful Aloes!" Beware - you can lose track of time looking at all those lovely plants. ;-)

• Mish

Oh no not at all! I very much enjoy learning about succulents so going through pictures on wiki is both a pleasure and educational.

• Jeff (5b)

I'm sure those are Senecio serpens 'Blue Chalk Sticks'. I had to just get rid of some for room. I didn't know Home Depot sold those.

• Mish

They had a bunch of them on clearance looking pretty weak and sad. I hadn’t seen them before either, but the other plants in the pot plus those really sold it for me.

• Jeff (5b)

The leaf shape on that 4th one sure looks like this, which I think may be Echeveria 'Neon Breakers'.

• Mish

Once it starts growing a bit more, you could be right. There’s some rounded edges and some jagged ones. Plus the middle looks like it, definitely.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a

Hello Mish, good you got the plants to try and help them! You can help them even more.....can you get hold of some better potting mix as I think they might still have the same problem if kept in their current mix for too long. It looks very peaty and organic, a big no-no for any cacti or succulent....whatever type they are. Grab a small bag of perlite, sieve the small bits out and discard them, use small gravel chips too if you can get some...chicken grit/aquarium gravel/horticultural grit etc. anything inert to make the drainage better. Mix gravel, perlite and small amount of the mix already used and things should be even better for them. Individual pots too might help as each plant will use differing amounts of water etc. Keep us posted :-)

Mish thanked greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
  • Mish

I have them in some cacti soil now with some pebbles at the bottom. I thought about aquarium gravel but I thought it’d be overkill lol good to know it won’t be. I’ll get some. I see you’re from the UK, I’m in the US. What types of stores sell perlite? I have plenty of individual pots laying around, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Thank you for your help! This really is useful, I’m still new to succs and comments like yours really go a long way.

• Crenda 10A SW FL

You can get perlite at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace - just about any place that sells garden supplies. It can be dusty, so we recommend using a sieve to get out the smallest particles. Washing it is a good idea, too. (rinse it while in the sieve or lying on the screen). Don't breathe in the dust.

The commercial cactus soil that is sold is not very good without amendments - with a couple of exceptions. I think Bonsai Jack is good out of the bag. (correct me, folks) When mixed your soil mix should look like this - really chunky.

I am so wet in the summers and humid all year long that I have gone totally gritty. My mix looks like this.

The first mix will probably work well for you. And don't forget to remove all of the old soil from the roots of your plants. The first thing to impact you plant is what is next to the roots. Old, bad, water-retentive soil should be removed and your plants will have a great new start. Don't water for a few days to a week after repotting. This will give any broken roots time to heal over before you water.

JMO - I would move the Aloe to a separate pot. It will probably get too big for the other plants. And Aloes have a lot of roots that might squeeze the others out.

Good luck! And above all - Have Fun!

Mish thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • Mish

In regards to getting all the old soil out from the roots, is it going to kill the plant if I accidentally break off some roots? Obviously I’m not gonna hack them off, but sometimes accidents happen especially to those of us that are maybe not full of finesse. Thank you for the help! I’m So glad I found this forum, the other one I was using wasn’t working for me too well.

• Jeff (5b)

When I repot plants that I bought and get as much of the old soil off as I can, I consider it a root trimming. Oftentimes there are some dead roots anyway, so those get 'trimmed' off, and then if some inds of live roots get broken off, that can sometimes spur on some new growth if the plant is healthy. If it isn't healthy, that's the way it goes--they'll most likely recover, it will just take longer. Better soil is always better. I've learned soooo much from this forum.

Mish thanked Jeff (5b)
  • Mish

I didn’t know root trimming was a thing haha I’ve never been a gardener, but love the look of succulents and cacti plus the drought resistance is up to par with my beginner thumb. Plus it’s like baby steps to getting a dog! Haha! Thank you.

• Sans2014

In general to remove stubborn soil from roots you can dip the root ball in tepid (slightly cooler than tepid) water and gently swish it in the water till the majority of the soil falls away. For a cactus, one would want the root ball to thoroughly air dry before replanting. As stated above trimming off dead roots is good hygiene.