0

DA's 'James Galway' Revisited

chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

I've been researching some of the roses that David Austin recommends as disease resistant and 'James Galway' is on the list. Can you tell me about your experience with it? Is it actually disease resistant, specifically to blackspot? It seems like this rose may reach very large proportions. About how big? How well does it repeat? Has it grown well on its own roots? Can it be grown as a large free-standing shrub or will it need support? And of course, pictures are always welcome. The season is only just winding down and I'm already thinking about spring purchases :)

Thanks for your help!

-Chris

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I am not growing James Galaway so I am of no real help but it catches my eye every time some posts a picture. It is a lovely shade of pink isnt it.

I know it is one of the taller ones in my zone and that is the only reason why I have not planted it here.

If you get it I hope it is as beautiful in person as it is in pictures.

• Krista_5NY

I grow it as a free standing shrub, but have used a stake or mini-trellis on occasion. It can reach 6 feet tall and almost as wide. The fragrance is a sweet Old Rose scent. It's hardy and has light repeat bloom. Highly recommended.

Mine is grafted, but I think it could do well on its own roots.

It gets blackspot, but does not drop as many leaves as some of my other Austins.

The color can vary. Typically the blooms open with a caramel color, and then fade to a cool pink.

• Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

Krista,

What powerfully beautiful James Galways you have! I've had my eye on JG for a while, now it is on my short list. Thanks for posting your photos.

Moses

• monarda_gw

I have loved this rose since I first saw a group of about 6 or 7 young plants of it grown together in a nursery. What I like best about it is that its flat form and curly petals are so distinctive. Also the "old rose" color shadings and its fragrance that, while not powerful, does not disappoint in any way. I have not noticed any disease.

I am growing mine on an arch in a north-facing exposure. It is fabulous in spring, with fall bloom that is increasing but not copious. I think if I grew it in more sun and with more fertilizer it might be more floriferous in the off season. I had no idea when I purchased it that it could reach 6' wide, and I do think its main fault here in zone 6b -7a is its tendency to get very big. I still haven't figured out how to prune it. Maybe its growth would be more restrained further north.

• lkayetwvz5

After doing copious amounts of research on climbers that were very hardy, better than average disease resistance, many petaled and shade tolerant, I started my list with James Galway and Crown Princess Margareta. I searched long and hard to find ones grafted on multiflora and ordered two weeks ago as soon as I had my want list of DAs down to a reasonable size. I am hoping for good things from this rose, but I also ordered St. Swithun as well for a sunnier spot. The nonclimber DAs I ordered own root.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Thank you all for the comments, and Krista, for all the wonderful photos! The flowers remind me of Clothilde Soupert somewhat. Any issues with the flowers opening?

Lkaytwvz5, where did you get yours grafted on multiflora?

-Chris

• Krista_5NY

Chris, it is prone to damage from thrips and weather, but the blooms typically open OK.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Krista, you've outdone yourself with these gorgeous pictures! It's made it very difficult to maintain my vow of not ordering any more roses. At least I can enjoy James Galway here thanks to you. Those ruffled petals are to die for.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Krista, what an incredible James Galaway, just beautiful

• Krista_5NY

Thank you. It's a wonderful Austin; it's been a favorite with its petal packed blooms and sweet fragrance...