Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129998097

Walk-in shower with no door

HU-129998097
5 years ago

Would like to install a walk in shower with no door and a half wall. Is there a size it should be to work?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    R.D. London Studios
    5 years ago

I have a 6 1/2 ft x 4 ft shower with an edge at the entry opening that is about 5 inches high to keep water in. It works very well and I love a doorless shower! Best wishes!

• rsanfo0
    5 years ago

We're considering doing the same in our new shower. London Staging and Design, could you post pictures?

• shivece
    5 years ago
    We love our doorless shower. Not sure I understand your half wall.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

i have no door.

the shower is about 44" wide. about 88" long.

no, water does not splash out. no, it's not cold. unless you stand in the back. No, I don't miss cleaning the glass.

if you're going to be doing a tiled pony wall, make sure it's well supported

• Amanda
    5 years ago
    Following
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

@Beth, love your floor!

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

we have a 36" wide glass panel, to protect the vanity. judging from where the water droplets hits the glass, the height is needed, a pony wall wouldnt be sufficient to keep the wood dry. if it was just hitting the floor i wouldnt care. shower is 48" + deep. (12" square tiles)

• tangerinedoor
    5 years ago

Side note: if you're ever going to have trouble getting around while in the house (for aging, disability, etc.), consider a very low to no threshold. Then use a collapsible silicon dam to keep water in or a trough drain.

• tangerinedoor
    5 years ago

I don't think water will splash over your half wall, but that will depend on the width of the shower. I would build it tall enough, though, so you can use an accessory like a towel rack, toilet roll holder, grab bar on the non-shower side.

• Helen
    5 years ago

Given that my shower enclosure gets splashed with water and also suffers from the occasional flying burst of shampoo or other element, I am glad that I have a shower enclosure to contain it.

Mine is frameless and so it doesn't detract from the aesthetics of my tiled shower at all.

Also, I live in a relatively warm climate (SoCal) and am generally not cold, but when I showered yesterday, I noticed that obviously there was warmth that was being contained within the enclosure based on the vapor on the shower enclosure so I suspect taking a shower wouldn't have been as pleasant an experience without the enclosure - I was relaxing for awhile on my new shower bench :-)

I got glass with Shower Guard and while I haven't had the shower for a long time at this point, there is absolutely no water spotting and I don't squeegee :-).

• numbersjunkie
    5 years ago

I have no door and no glass, but there is a threshold. The inside of the shower is 42 x 66. No water escapes, but we have a rain shower so it does not spray on an angle. We planned on glass and a door, but decided to see if we really needed it. We don't. Its not cold either. I love not having to worry about keeping the glass clean!

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

well, no water escapes because you have a solid wall (where i have glass) but i agree a tile wall is easier to clean than glass.

• Jeff Meeks
    5 years ago

These "open showers" all rely on a well placed wall to retain the shower spray be it a knee wall or a full wall so they are not much different from a glass walled shower. You can eliminate all curbs and interior bathroom walls if you waterproof a large enough area and get the slope of the floor right so it moves all water into a drain.

I have a 40" x 80" shower and rather than having any interior walls I use a shower curtain. I have a rain head from the ceiling and I find that only the bottom third of the curtain gets wet. Also the end wall and floor of the shower only get a few drops of water. Obviously the diameter of any shower spray is going to be related to water velocity, spray angle and how vigorously you wash; if you're going full "South Pacific" and really washing that person right out of your hair, then the spray could go a long way. I was pretty conservative when I did my shower and waterproofed 6 inches beyond the shower curb and also use Nobelseal TS membrane mostly for tile crack resistance, but it does waterproof the floor too.........but there is no slope or drain so it's no real use for water management.