Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaannn

My big corner fireplace needs a makeover!

lisaannn
5 years ago

HELP! Any suggestions on how to improve this fireplace - - - - -

This 1950s sandstone fireplace is the focal point of our small living room. We love it at Christmas when it is beautified and covered with lots of decor, but for the rest of the year it leaves much to be desired. (photo shows it in middle of thanksgiving decor being added to it)

- the stone is dirty - there are patches of dirtier and cleaner stones throughout

- the “grout“ lines also vary in dirtiness

- the color of the stone clashes with the hardwood floor. Considering choosing a new wood or wondering if altering the color of the stone somehow is a god idea.

- the mantle is SUPER SHALLOW at 4”!

i can only fit small or very thin objects on it. How can I deepen the mantel shelf? is adding a shelf somehow a good idea? I am reluctant to raise the height of the mantel as it already seems too high.

- the mirror is great for reflecting natural light from the window, but would it look better framed and raised? any suggestions for that big area?

- the hearth is also dirty. I feel like it should look cleaner and less like dirty concrete.

***Any suggestions of any kind are very appreciated! I dont know where to begin!

Comments (14)

• ilovecomputers
    5 years ago

I would definitely give the stones, grout, etc. a good clean-up before deciding on any changes.

lisaannn thanked ilovecomputers
  • lisaannn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do you know proper way to clean these things?

• ilovecomputers
    5 years ago
    I would go to a mom-and-pop hardware store and ask. There are specialty cleaners for stone. Do you know if a sealer was applied to it?
    lisaannn thanked ilovecomputers
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You don’t need to put things on the mantel. I would remove the mirror (and the picture to the right with the black frame) and replace with a large piece of art.

lisaannn thanked JudyG Designs
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Mirror the entire area (including the short sides) above the mantel. The mirror could be a sheet, or mouldings to divide it as you would divide a window.
    lisaannn thanked jbtanyderi
  • njmomma
    5 years ago

Not a Pro.

I love your fireplace! Cleaning it is a great idea.

But.......

I think your wall color is the problem, to loving it again.

lisaannn thanked njmomma
  • Jan
    5 years ago
    We have the same stone in our 1951 ranch. A carpenter added a wood mantel. He fitted it over the thin that piece that was there.
    Ours is gas so it’s not dirty. Also it covers the entire wall to wall 18 feet.
    lisaannn thanked Jan
  • Jan
    5 years ago
    Sorry did get mantel the first time.
    lisaannn thanked Jan
  • lisaannn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the comments!

I will definitely look into that Enzyme Cleaner! As far as my paint color, it’s not as yellow as it looks in photo, but more of a pale tan that comes from the lighter part of the sandstone - at least that’s what it is in the right light. Again, I welcome any and all suggestions!

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Some inspiration, a nice big art piece above mantel
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

In your case I think art instead of the mirror would be nice. Judy's example looks good. With the art you really don't need anything on the mantel, especially with just a 4-inch depth. Find another spot for the small items on the mantel. The hearth might look better with a trio of pumpkins off to one side. Varying sizes would be nice, but you could try elevating two of them to different heights. I used to line items across like soldiers...mainly on my mantels. I learned here on Houzz that's not the best way to do it. Have groupings...preferably in odd numbers...and keep it simple. What a difference it makes!

• redsilver
    5 years ago

You can have a shelf with a beveled edge trim added to this mantle. It could be at least half as deep as your lower hearth is? It should appear to be at least the thickness of the 2 layers combined of stone that will be supporting it, I think. It could be stained or it could be painted to match the wall color. Cleaning it will make it come alive.

Looking at your area, if you like the tan, that is fine, but just curious if there would be a terra cotta shade of paint you could use above the fireplace, a 3 sided wall it appears, 2 narrow borders and than the center width up to the ceiling? I think a soft, not jarring terra cotta shade(which might lean peach/apricot ??-whatever that appears to bring out that color in your stone after it is cleaned. Paint is cheap enough. Someone else might suggest having some wood, stained added on the sides and across the top, as a crown molding would be. I think it would be fine to stain the upper added shelf to your mantle, but a bit of color would leave the stone to look so beautiful, and enhance the colors in it, after it is cleaned..

Seems like this might be close to what you need?

BEHR Premium Plus

1 gal. #PMD-11 Warm Terra Cotta Satin Enamel Low Odor Interior Paint and Primer in One

lisaannn thanked redsilver
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I'm a fan of art instead of mirror, unless something beautiful or interesting is to be doubled by the reflection. Lots of DIY online for cleaning stone and mortar. You can have a custom mantel made to fit over what is already there. If your baseboards and other trim is white, paint it to match that.

lisaannn thanked decoenthusiaste