dw62797

Flooret LVP in Arbor, Brenwick or Kingswood? OR CorTEC Harrison Oak

D W

Does anyone have photos of Flooret Modin in Arbor, Brenwick or Kingswood installed? Looking for a timeless, medium brown. Comparing the Flooret colors listed with Cortec Harrison Oak. If you have pics of the Harrison Oak that would be much appreciated too!

• CindyR

Sierra: please let us know what you find out?

• ishop19

I’m sure you know the difference between a floor “creak“ and a mysterious “crackle” so I’m really thinking hard about this!!

A thought: when I received my shipment, a couple boards were damaged on their edges, the limestone core on a few edges was crumbled into pieces. Like crushed rocks. I wonder if the there was a slightly damaged spot of the limestone on yours that after installation it could be crumbling causing a crackling sound?

I don’t think the foam backing would be loose, or if it were, I dont think it would cause crackling. But I’m picturing little crushed rocks maybe sounding like what you describe? Could that be? Not sure why unless it got a little damaged during shipping or installation and went unnoticed. Those large boards, while they do provide a good aesthetic, are super unwieldy to manage, every time I try to carry one I knock it on something because it’s so big and heavy.

Here‘s a picture of the shipping damage just so you can see what it looks like when the limestone is broken. The first picture shows the side of the planks inside the box and you can see the cracked limestone. The second is the back of that broken piece. You can see the foam backing that was squished and under that the cracked limestone. it would be obvious and you wouldn’t be able to install this one, but it’s the only picture I have of cracked limestone core for example.

• Ruth Leonard

Oh Lord, this is unsettling. Our shipment came by boat to Honolulu and has been sitting in a warehouse pending installation in the next couple weeks. I hope not to discover this issue!

• CindyR

Yikes - that shipping damage!!! The only thing with our flooring that resembled crackling during install was when hubby pounded the edge too hard and it broke or cracked the edge with a crackle sound, and when I caught him doing that we pulled that plank out.

• ishop19

By the way, Flooret replaced the whole box because I was not going to be in town to inspect the whole shipment prior to install (a friend received the shipment and snapped those pics). But actually only one plank was damaged. It looked worse than it was.

The packers didn’t put protection under one strap. The rest was fine. Don’t panic!!

• ishop19

Sierrra400

If you think those crackles are isolated to one or two boards and you need to investigate underneath, Flooret can advise on how to pull up and replace a board instead of a whole room.

• sierra400

Thank you! Yes we had a damaged box too that they refunded, we did not use the boards with the broken edges but cut them off. The crackle sound is like Rice Krispies, like a light popping/bubble wrap sound. It is hard to describe. I notice it in about 6-7 spots across the floor we have installed so far. Flooret is working with us on a solution , they are unaware of the problem at the moment and are just as stumped as we are. they are either are going to send us a replacement box to lay to see if its The product or have an inspector out to try to figure out the issue. We are still thinking on how best to move forward. We are taking a break on installing the floor as we are going on vacation next week, so we have a bit of time.

luckily, we have only installed in 2 bedrooms and part of the hallway. We haven’t gotten to the main living area yet!

• D W

sierra400 sorry to hear about your snap, crackle and pop! I hope all gets worked out for you. Fingers crossed for you! My flooring will be installed soon. eeek! A lot of moving pieces are coming together now. :-)

• D W

A little over 7 months and 670 comments later ...flooring delivered. Squeeee!

• yvette_garcia62

Greg, I love the way ashford looks in your home. In your pictures I see more brown tones but the samples I received ashford looks very gray. My house doesn’t get much natural light so in your opinion, does your floor look more brown or gray during the evening? How do they look during the day when natural light is not shining directly on them?

• Sara
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>DW, I am so excited for you! Can’t believe the flooring has arrived! Did you ever think you would see the day that you made the decision?!
  • Dale Murphy

Sierra400
    I am installing my floor right now. I started walking over it to test the sound...worring about crackles. I found that a taped seam on my vapor barrier was giving off the noise you described. I pulled the Flooret up and replaced the tape. Seems to have done the trick.

• pofin

Dale that floor is lovely! What color is it?

• Dale Murphy

Pofin
    this is Brenwick. Picture is making it look a little more red than it is in person.

• pofin

Thank you, it is gorgeous! That is the color I am leaning towards, it looks warm and elegant.

• ishop19

Dale Murphy,

Great to see it going in! I love my Brenwick!

• MAdkins

It's great to see installation pictures and it's so satisfying to have a project that is pretty easy (minus the floor prep) and turns out so well. This forum has been such a help on my new flooring journey; thanks to all who have commented.

I finished the floor install (with a helper) about a month ago and my kitchen is finally almost complete; enough to share photos anyway. The flooring has settled in to the lower spots and so the crackles (pad sticking/unsticking to the underlayment, I presume) are gone. I still have some tiling on a floating hearth and stove backsplash but the end is nearing. The floor color changes so much depending upon the light as you'll see in the photos. When I do the rest of the house I'll be more careful with alternating between light and dark planks and will separate them out first because the variations are surprisingly difficult to see during the install. I have some wool carpets down to help my older dog transition to walking on the flooring so that helps. I love that it cleans up so easily; I'm really pleased with my choice of Flooret Modin!!

• ishop19

Great job! Your floor looks amazing! What color is it again?

• MAdkins

Thanks for the user tips, ishop19 and for the kind words. My floor is Sutton. It definitely has a bit of green to it compared to the warmer browns of some of the other colors, but it works the best with my Barker Modern cabinets in Oregon Pine textured laminate.

• ishop19

I think it looks great with your beautiful furnishings too! It’s a warm subtle (not bossy) backdrop in your space. I’m going to call it subtle Sutton!

• MAdkins

Thanks, ishop19. I am so happy with Sutton. My style is MCM meets Scandinavian. With Alabaster walls, the Sutton really warms up the space.

• D W

And so it begins... Provenza MaxCore - Sweet Talker in the house! Yay!!

• ishop19

Wow DW! What a journey! Woohoo... looking great! This is the Provenza brand?

• D W

Hi ishop19! Yes Provenza vinyl. It's strange not to be there to see it in person, but am grateful for the pic. Indeed it has been a long journey, and you've been on it with me almost from the start! :-D How is your house coming together? Are you loving all your elements combined? Do you love your floor? Let's see some pics my friend. :-D

• ishop19

It’s coming slowly since like you I’m never there! I do love the floor. The Brenwick will work well for me. I should be there next week to take some pictures but I haven’t “moved back in” to those rooms yet! Still empty...

• lorilee

Has anyone laid Flooret over existing porcelain tile? If so, how is it working out for you so far?

• D W

ishop19 so happy you love your floor choice!! Yay!! Even if rooms are empty, do send some pics. :-)

• Greg

Hey all. I have a pallet of Ashford with 12 boxes if anyone is interested in it. I did my whole house.

• Greg

ashford

• ishop19

Flooret Modin pictures in Brenwick. Cabinets and trim SW Alabaster, walls SW Wool Skein. (Front door is just white primer to be painted Alabaster.) Sorry for the delay in posting some pictures. (Tap or click on each picture to get the full view.). Keep in mind my entire living room view is backlit from the window with no light coming from any other directions to lessen the glare effect. It will be reduced with furniture and rugs.

The stairs will be carpeted. I’ll do a separate post below to show all the open edges for one idea of how to do them.

Over the center of the kitchen is a skylight providing natural light:

Brenwick in natural low lighting:

Brenwick in artificial light:

• ishop19

Here’s pictures of how my installer did the open nosing edges and where railings attached to the floor. He ordered custom wood stained pieces that he could nail in instead of using Flooret nosing. There is more of a bump up but there is slightly more coverage over what’s under the nose which is what I needed. It’s a compromise. I’m pleased with how it turned out. Stairs will be carpeted because any version of Flooret (planks or caps) just wasn’t going to work on my existing stair treads without entirely rebuilding them. $$$$$

i was really struggling with these edges and the stairs and that’s what held up my decision for so long. The pictures I would look at on Houzz and from Flooret were hard to see and the Flooret solutions suggested by Flooret just didn’t work for my situation. So, I hope this information can help someone else!

• D W

Ishop19 everything is soooo beautiful!!! It’s all coming together in such a lovely way!! Do you love it?? We started this conversation 9 months ago!!!! Wow!!! Some people have made a tiny human in that time and you’ve made a lovely home!! Well done! It’s beautiful!

• ishop19

Lol! Yep I love it! Thanks everyone for all the information and encouragement. And welcome to all the tiny new humans!!

• sierra400

Everyone’s floors look great! I am happy to say our flooring is not making the sound anymore or if it is it’s at least not noticeable like it was. Hooray! maybe the floor just had to settle?

we are moving onto our Master room and have an install question. Our flooring direction is such that the planks lie perpendicular to our shower.... can we just cut off the plank ends so they are nice and straight and flat against the shower and then caulk? My concern is if we used the end cap the wood grain direction will be opposite Since the end cap would be parallel to the shower and the planks perpendicular. This issue is going to come up a lot for us actually... our front door, back door, fireplace, all of these spots the boards will be going perpendicular instead of parallel. I am afraid the end caps are just going to look strange since the wood grain will be in the opposite direction! Has anyone had this issue or come up with a solution other than the end cap?? I guess we picked the wrong direction to install!

• ishop19

No, I don’t think it would look strange. I have numerous places where the planks go perpendicular to a grainy finishing piece. It looks very natural. Have you laid out pieces perpendicular to the “end cap” to see If it looks strange to you?

Can you send pictures?

Btw, I’m not sure you would use an “end cap“ in those scenarios. Do you mean 1/4 round?

Yay for no crunchies anymore!!

• MAdkins

Sierra400: I second ishop19's advice that it won't look strange at all. I used an end cap next to the sliding glass door so the plank slides under the groove to make a clean, sealed edge. I would assume you'd want to do the same; just as you suggest. I think you'd need to have a caulked edge if you use 1/4 round.

• ishop19

Hmmm, I didnt think there was a need for a caulked edge with a quarter round, I think sierra400 was talking about using nothing but caulk. Isn’t that a quarter round‘s purpose to cover the floor edge against a wall or threshold? Guess it’s just preference which one you use. The end cap doesn't really “seal” the edge either per se, but probably gives that impression. But I do like the clean look of it. As far as which vinyl product from Flooret, I think the end cap is better than the quarter round. Nailing in the Flooret quarter round my installer said wouldn’t work because of its material. We used stained wood quarter rounds to match the planks. But if the end caps work, I like that idea. MAdkins did you glue your endcaps down? That’s what my installer did. From what I’m learning from you two, you can install the endcaps along the edge first and slide the planks under?

All good info for anyone else trying to figure out solutions!!

• sierra400

Thanks! Yes the end caps would go along the doorways to the outside. The ends caps are what a Flooret suggested when I asked what to use for the spots. I am glad to hear it doesn’t look strange oriented in opposite direction! The caulk I mentioned was just for the bathroom since it needs to be nice and sealed for moisture!

• sylvie7311

I think I may go with Kingswood but I wish it was a bit darker. Is Brenwick more brown or red? I want brown but am

worried it has too much red tone. Thanks in advance!

• Greg

I thought Brenwick was too red and Kingswood was too yellow. I went Ashford.

• CindyR

Brenwick is more reddish orange (my samples were). If you search for Brenwick in the search bar you should be able to find pictures. Also, Flooret has a feature on their website that lets you take a pic of your room and place the floor into your room.

Also, you can order samples (I got some off of Amazon)

I have Arbor. I love it. Wish it was a tad lighter but it worked the best for me.

Good luck!

• sylvie7311

Thanks CindyR and Greg! This has been so much harder than I thought!

• sylvie7311

And thanks for the pics Greg! It’s beautiful!

• sierra400

Sylvie, have you considered Arbor? It is a true brown IMO. We love the color. I was worried it would be too dark but it is lighter in person I think due to the wire brushing effect which adds a bit of lighter color in the mix. Here it is in our guest room.

• ishop19

sylvie7311,

It IS very hard to decide. Other than Greg all of us have agonized over it! I posted a bunch of pics of Brenwick on this thread last week. Scroll up (Or scroll down now because changed the comment order)

Installed it’s more brown than red or orange especially in natural light. Compare it to other orange things, my unfinished stairs (in artificial light) and the walls of my 3 season porch and dining room furniture (In natural light). I’m pleased with it and when I see it in my space, it’s a little too dark for me but not red or orange. Kingswood might have been better.

I thought ashford was too gray, kingswood went too green, and Arbor too dark and not warm brown enough, I was also concerned Brenwick might be red, but installed I don’t think that.

It depends on your space and your perspective.

They all look somewhat different installed in a big area than the sample. And I had 3 full size planks in each color for samples!

• sylvie7311

Thanks all! What a great group of people! Love all the pics!

• sylvie7311

Since you guys are so helpful, I have 2 questions. My Kingswood is being installed right now and I love it.

First question is what kind of throw rug can I use? I'm afraid a non-skid rubberized backing with stain/color the LVP.

Second question - the flooring has a strange, hollow sound to it when we walk on it. Will it "settle in" some?

• MAdkins

sylvie7311: I recently installed 500sf of Sutton. While I did my best to level out the hills and valleys in the floor first, it wasn't completely flat. Because Flooret Modin is so heavy, it did eventually settle into the lower spots. I think it just depends upon how uneven your underlayment/subfloor is.

I too am interested in feedback on good rug pads to use. I have a ton of old rug pads I used on hardwood floors in the past with no problem but I'm afraid to try them on my Flooret floor. Some rug pads indicate that they are non staining and I expect those are safe. I think the Flooret website gives links to some good ones to use. Right now I'm just relying upon the weight of my wool rugs but eventually need to find a cost effective solution since my older dog slips on my Flooret kitchen/dining room floor.

• kstevensoc

Looking for real pics of Raeburn - I have three full size planks, would love to see the color installed in real life - thanks