poohbearlvr

Pink Princess Philodendren....How To Get Best Color????

PoohBearLvr
last year

Anyone know how to get the best color out of the Pink Princess philodendron? I have 1 HUGE one, about 6 feet tall, I am trying to take a 'top cut' off it. I have sphagnum moss wrapped around a bunch of the aerial roots, and wrapped it in Saran wrap.it is ready to come off, and i hope it will put out several side shoots and give me new young stems/plants from the cut area.

BUT the plant seems to have gone back to its all deep burgundy color, solid, no pink or spots or anything. I don't know if it was the Fla. heat, this summer, or what. I have had one of these plants nearly all my life. BUT they are usually small. This one is HUGE.

And I want to take that top cut off, and get it to grow, and well, sell it!! The prices of small ones on Ebay are astronomical! Like $50-75!! (Have these been hit by some disease and cant be bought anymore?? ) I cant believe the prices of these small plants. I got mine for like $10.

I have a much smaller one right next to it, they are outside in shade, under two wide leaved palm trees, and the small one is covered in hot pink leaves, spots , streaks of pink, some leaves half pink, half burgundy, etc... I don't get it. The huge one WAS covered in hot pink as well, now it is just dark burgundy, even leaves that WERE pink, have turned dark. Why? Never seen this before.

So.....what conditions makes them put out the pink leaves, and all that expensive colorful variegation? I always have them with the pink leaves, and great variegation. But now I have this huge one that has gone dark, but is growing and blooming! Yet right next to it, is a hot pink leaved one. I dont get it. Any ideas???

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are your plants receiving enough light to support the colored foliage?

PoohBearLvr thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • PoohBearLvr

These are both outside in south Fla. So it is sunny even in the shade. Tech. they are in just about full shade. BUT extreme bright light.

They are next to each other, and the huge one is all dark burgundy now, and the small one is super colorful. Inches away from each other. so I dont know why the big ones leaves all turned back to a dark solid color. Yet the small one is pink all over every leaf. The big one was full of pink leaves and all those colors, but it has slowly turned to all dark burgundy. Bummer:( Didnt even know a variegated leaf could change color!!

I want to place a painting in the wall but i need to know the best color combination

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.why-lip.com/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ArtDecoFractal_BY_STACY_REED_www.shedreamsindigital.net_NO_HOTLINKING_ALLOWEDd.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.why-lip.com/blog2/archives/staffposts/art-deco/&h=700&w=583&sz=194&tbnid=LpWxPlSIFWPfQM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=75&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dart%2Bdeco%2Bpictures%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=art+deco+pictures&usg=__bXUc5rWr3voDvl2RE3hYXiuuqBQ=&docid=PXLwEejsGfM9fM&sa=X&ei=dJQyUarGIIbJyAHVxIGgAQ&ved=0CIABEPUBMBI&dur=2897

New Roof - Help choose colors to match peach/pink brick!

Leave the brick as is and paint the trim a green undertone mid-grey color; too dark and I think there would be too much contrast with your brick, which is very pinky beige. If the roof is a similar grey as the trim then that would be great. A color darker then your windows would create more interest around the window, or color match a paint to the windows, and trim them in that color, with only the eaves being darker. Good luck

Princess bedroom

My daughter is a bit older now, but a few years back, I painted her walls fuschia, added purple accessories (her two favorite colors). Brought inexpensive sheers and secured to the wall with small DIY cornice and let the sheers hang around the front of her four poster bed. Changed hanging chain on her pink and white fan to crystal ($8-$9), put chalk board paint in a corner with a peel and stick tiara above it. I ordered a bed spread that was pink, purple and blue with a tiara in the center on sale from JCP. Costco had a similar throw rug in the shape of a castle. My big splurge was a throne seat (that she still loves)- a high backed hot pink leathette chair that I got from a big box home goods store for $100. The best part- Santa did it all while she slept. (Hubby moved her to guest room and brought her back), and she woke up knowing that there was real magic in the world. Good luck!

Help finish my princess' bedroom.

I ended up buying these curtains, because I loved them so much. Actually this is an old pic of the room. My next challenge is that my 3 yr old doesn't want to sleep in her crib anymore. She sleeps in the futon on the long wall but we need to convert the crib to a full bed ASAP. The futon is not really comfy even with a memory foam topper. Any advice where to put the full bed? I can't put it where the crib is now because of the heater. Which option will look best; full bed where the futon is or where the dresser is? I' ordered an ivory shag rug, 5x7 if that helps taking a decision. Thanks guys!
  • petrushka

as leaves age they change and turn darker - that's normal. like with Crotons or Ti Plants.

only the younger tips can be so pink. so the only solution is to cut off the top to make it branch hopefully to increase the number of new growth.

PoohBearLvr thanked petrushka
  • PoohBearLvr

Well being in croton country, i have a hedge-full of ancient very colorful crotons. The old leaves are still variegated,dull be colorful. Unlike this big one. It all went to dark burgundy. I had a huge one years ago,it never changed color. The small one right next to it, it not turning colors as it ages. I am topping off this big one. Going to take the top rooted cutting,and pot it up. Maybe Ill get it to change back to hot pinks again. And if it puts out new growths, and they are pink again take them off and spread them around my yard and find the right light level to keep it variegated.

• petrushka

I just mentioned crotons as an example of plants that change variegation with age. the few PP that I've seen in bot gardens always have darker older leaves and most variegation on young growth.

I root philos very fast in moist long fiber NZ sphag fully tented - 2 weeks and you'll have excellent roots.

i'd love to see the results :).

I found an old post that mentioned that variegation differs on cuttings: some better then others. so you need to keep trying.

PoohBearLvr thanked petrushka
  • PoohBearLvr

I get it about crotons. I have the top rooted in sphagnum,i just need to cut it off and plant it up. Then see if it changes on new growth, and any new tips that come out from the old plant.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I had mine on a screen porch that had a solid roof and screened sides. There was bright shade in the morning and slanted sunlight in the afternoon. This is the leaf coloring I got. It seemed real happy. Ignore the pink ginger flower lol. A lot depends on the individual variegation of the plants, but I think bright indirect light is the best.

PoohBearLvr thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • PoohBearLvr

Well...mine is still outside and in very very bright shade all day. I am still planning on top cutting it, it is rooted, and take it inside,and give it low light,or morning sun,inside. Then see if it goes back to pink variegation, with less light. That is all I can think of, is that it is getting to much light. Yet the small Pink Princess, right next to it, is VERY variegated, looks terrific. Tons of bright pink all over it. I always thought plants needed bright light to keep the variegation,but it seems to be the opposite. So, I have to try less light on this huge one. I swear if I tried to sell a cutting off this one, if it still had pink on it, to prove it is a Pink Princess, I could get like $90-100 for it! And still have a huge plant that will put out top new growths, give more plants, and keep topping it off, and get plant after plant after plant from it. Gonna try. It is still unreal the prices they ask/get for this philodendron.

• keys6505

Im no philo expert, but in my experience the juvenile plants typically look very different than the mature palnts. Any chance your big plant has just outgrown the pink variegation?

PoohBearLvr thanked keys6505
  • PoohBearLvr

i have no idea. I assume someone, somewhere in the world, has BIG Pink Princess philos. But no one has said anything. So...I have grown Pink Princess to this size before, in much darker locations, here in Ft.laud, and they stayed will lots of hot pink in it. So I think it needs more shade, to bring out the pink.

So..time will well if the top cutting I put in much lower light turns back to pinks, or not. And if the new growth will come out with hot pinks or not.

• moonflower83

The pink princess philodenren is a chimeral variegation, a type that is achieved by merging two sets of genetics. Eventually some/most plants reverts to one or the other. When it reverts to green and burgundy, the plant lives. When it reverts to pink/white, the plant dies as it can not longer photosynthesize. So I guess being burgundy is better than being dead.

There are way to encourage it to stay pink, but nothing is guaranteed. This is one reason why these plants are propagated vegetatively, by cuttings, the plants grown from seed will revert to either one or the other present in the parent plant.

PoohBearLvr thanked moonflower83
  • PoohBearLvr

Well all of my Pink Princess' have had massive hot pink on them, including this huge one I have. Thats why i dont understand why the hot pink on that plant, turned to deep burgundy. That has never happened before. Like I said, the smaller one right next to it has terrific hot pink all over it, on the new and old growth. So...once I take the top off this big one, and grow it seperatly, i can see if the new growth goes back to hot pink or not, and if the new top cut puts out new pink in it.

• moonflower83

The hot pink changing to burgundy is one set of genetics taking over. If you are very lucky, the plant stays a stable chimera all it's life. Some chimeras are very stable. But considering how many reverted pink princess philodendrons we see in nurseries, I don't think this is one of them. This is what keys6505 may mean but it "outgrowing" it's variegation. Also, why some people have plants that never "outgrow" it, because they hit the jack pot and it never reverts. I've heard that removing all the parts that revert to one side (all green/burgundy or all white/pink) will reduce the chances if it all reverting. But I don't have personal experience with it.

PoohBearLvr thanked moonflower83
  • PoohBearLvr

Dont see how it is 'lucky' to have a terrific multicolored Philo. going back to all deep burgundy. Whats could it change to, green?? Now if it stays that way,it is worth next to nothing, and frankly boring as well. BUT the smaller one that is super covered in hot pink and all the colors, is worth over $100, and if I top it off, and take cuttings, i could get a lot for the new growths, and still have a real Pink Princess plant.

• moonflower83

I think you misread. I said it's "lucky" if it stays a stable chimera. This means it's staying alive with BOTH green/burgundy AND pink/white. If it changes to all green, it's just a plain philo, you are right, not worth anything. If it changes to all pink, it dies as it can not longer photosynthesize. You might be able to sell a few cutting while it's still alive to some poor sap that doesn't understand that it's about to die, but it won't live for very long without chlorophyll.

PoohBearLvr thanked moonflower83

Hello all

I have the solution that everyone seems to require. So if your pink princess produces consecutive all pink leafs Then as pretty as it looks it will eventually kill your plant due to the plant not photosynthesising , you need to cut it back to where the variegated leafs are less than half pink, same if you have no pink on your plant then simply cut back to where u had some Pink. My plant grew very large and lost its colour, I cut it back to where it had colour and boom she is a beauty again.

• Tanya Stump

I literally just read that if you snip the plant just above the last node where your variegation ended the plant will produce new shoots with variegation below the cut.

• Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy

What’s the solution?

• Russ1023 (central Fla)

Yes, once the tip is removed the first few dormant nodes at each leaf axil below the cut will start getting energy to grow. If variegation on those new growths aren't good, you have to keep cutting back until you do get one that you like... hopefully you don't run out of vine.

I have hundreds of Pink Princess plants from several different original sources, a couple dozen of which are large in 3 gallon pots. Literally all of the latter have far less variegation than most of the smallest plants. So I think bigger plants just won't maintain a lot of variegation. Many of my small plants in 4 inch pots have very good variegation on every single leaf, and almost all have better color than the larger ones.

I have noticed that completely reverted plants of Pink Princess are indistinguishable from my Royal Queen, a beautiful hybrid that was very popular 50 years ago. So I can't prove it, but I believe Pink Princess is a renamed Royal Queen variegata.

Same thing with the so-called Strawberry Shake, as far as I can tell reversions are exactly the same as Red Princess.

On plants that have produced albino leaves, it will weaken it for sure but as long as the older dark green leaves remain, it will live. Obviously a tip cutting with only white leaves will die.

Russ

• Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy

Do you have some photos?

• Russ1023 (central Fla)

Here are some really bad pics from my old phone. Colors are brighter than they appear. These are larger plants, I'll post more when I figure out how many I can attach.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)

Smaller plants.

• PoohBearLvr thanked Russ1023 (central Fla)
  • Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy

Wow!!! They are beautiful!!! How do you propagate them? also how often do you water them? I have a really small one and it doesnt grow at all

• Russ1023 (central Fla)

Hi Mike,

I'm in central Fla, which makes growing tropicals easy other than winter nighttime freezes. Most plants are in 6" pots on the ground, they started out a few years ago on weed block under a big live oak, but weeds have taken over and I need to clean up the area.

I propagate tip cuttings and 2 to 3 node stem cuttings, they'll root much quicker if they have aerial roots. I usually plant pieces of stem horizontally, cutting off aerial roots that aren't going to be down in the medium. Almost any medium will work but I think long fiber sphagnum moss is best since it has natural anti-rot, anti-fungal qualities.

Where are you and what are your growing conditions? Country, state? Indoors, humidity level, potting mix, kind of pot, etc.

If you're growing indoors, light may be a problem as well as low humidity.

Russ

• jay

Hi Russ. Excellent pics. I clicked & viewed every single one of them. What a nice collection and variety of looks.

• stamik2004

Those are stunning, I have been on the hunt for this plant lately. Any chance anyone would have a cutting for trade? I have the following plants:

I have for trade:

Monstera Deliciosa

Monkey Tail Cactus

Rat Tail Cactus

Dog Tail Cactus

Philodendron Brazil

Philodendron (Standard Green)

Pothos n' Joy

Lemon Lime Philodendron

Variegated Spider Plant

Wandering Jew

Swiss Cheese Vine

Pilea Pepromides (Money Plant)

PoohBearLvr thanked stamik2004
  • PoohBearLvr

Well i HAD a huge one for sale for months and no one wanted it, till I already cut of the top of it,and rooted it. NOW the old stem is putting out dozens of small plants!! With lots of hot pink variegation. I WILL have plants to sell or trade in a few more months. Being in south Fla. it grows all year round. The top cut I am keeping,all the plants that grow and I can pot up into 2-4in pots will be for sale or trade,as soon as they are big enough to do so. IF you dont get one by that time, let me know if you are interested.

• stamik2004

Sounds great. Send me a message when they are ready? I will give my left arm if I have to. LOL!

PoohBearLvr thanked stamik2004
  • cw4micret

I have been looking for a Pink Princess for my "Princess" daughter. She mentioned just yesterday how much she'd like to have one. Should anyone be selling these below the ridiculous prices that PoorBearLvr referred to and that I've seen, I'd be interested in purchasing one or two. Thank you all for your helpful comments on tending to these beauties. Mic - East Coast Central FL

PoohBearLvr thanked cw4micret
  • Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy

They really cost a lot. very rare and trendy

PoohBearLvr thanked Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
  • PoohBearLvr

Well I have contacted several people that have posted in HERE already, on this comment. They will either be ready this weekend or next. For sale/shipping. Been rooting them on the mother plant.

But cant discuss selling in HERE, it upsets people. So anyone that wants one,or more, of the 7 I have, email me in the message section on here,....And I can talk to you there.

'STAYMIK2004'...I dont know if you sent me a message yet. I answered 3,so far that want 1-2 plants each. I forgot if your one of them, so message me there.

• PoohBearLvr thanked Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
  • PoohBearLvr

Congrats on what? Thanks but for what? I'm broke as a $2 watch, and the only thing of value I have is this Philodendrun, and all the plants i will be able to sell. I am hoping to get this small injection of income, AND help a few other plant lovers get a nice & not get taken in the process.

I have seen them on EBay and Etsy for 2-3 times what I am going to ask for them. And they are 'selling' everything from a single ripped leaf with a 1in piece of stem, to a tiny plant from seed, which could revert easily, from Thailand. I am hoping for more plants once I take all these off. But that will be many months away,if it happens at all. But thanks.

• Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy

Congrats on having that pink princess. i didnt thank you for anything

• PoohBearLvr

Ok Mike.

• Cathie Boland

PoohBearLvr.. I just love the fact that you aren’t not one of those people that try to price gouge a plant like others do.. I sent you a message 😊

PoohBearLvr thanked Cathie Boland
  • cw4micret

PoohBearLvr, I sent you a message also. Hope you get it!

CW4MicRet@hotmail.com

• Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy

Good that you are making a sale

• PoohBearLvr

i am going to make 7.....3 more to go. Just need more roots:)