Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_meeks

New doors for an old house

Jeff Meeks
5 years ago

I have a 100 year old house and last spring I noticed some rot above one of the back porch doors. I did some digging and the frame above the door was rotted and obviously I probably had to fix an on ging leak from somewhere above. This is a bit too big for me to tackle and so I got a contractor in. I decided to replace both doors as they had single pane glass, cracks in the panels and were very lose with ones of similar design, but far better fit and thermal performance. I like to keep original stuff on my house, but sometimes the performance compromises aren't worth it. I also decided to reinstated the missing storm doors to match the storm doors on the front of the house.

Here are the old doors. There is visible rot above the LHS door and when it was taken out we saw that the whole frame was rotted through.....this meant fixing some leaks and a new threshold on a deck door above before the new doors were installed. The trim was also in bad shape.

Here are the new doors before paint. I went with a douglas fir Simpson door because it was pretty close to the style and materials of the original doors.

and here they are with paint and the new screen doors installed. The screen doors were done

by a local company and they are really nice and exactly match the old ones on the front of the house. once the doors arrived the whole job took just over a week.

Comments (4)