Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Need a washer and dryer this month (sales!), advice please!

williamsem
5 years ago

Hoping to get a new washer and dryer this month with all the sales. My current TL marchine sounds like a jet engine, but is otherwise ok. It’s a undetermined model Kenmore that came with the house, at least several years old.

I looked at the Maytag and GE models mentioned on some other threads recently, but I’m concerned the Maytag might be a bit too small and the GE might be too big (3.5 and 4.9 cf). Any recommendations in between? It’s just me for at least the foreseeable future, so it needs to be able to handle some smaller loads when needed. Bonus if it can fit a queen comforter, but I think that would probably mean it was a bit large for my everyday needs.

I'm leaning toward a TL, mostly because I’m more familiar with them, but I don’t know much about the new agitator-less models. It will be installed on the second floor, so I’m hesitant to go for a FL.

I'm happy to be convinced the GE or Maytag would be the best option for my needs If thats the case, also open to being convinced a different path is better. I’ve hit research overload at this point, i need some outside input!

Comments (39)

• wdccruise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Consumer Reports (https://www.consumerreports.org/join) has reviews of front load, top load (without agitator), and top load agitator washers; and dryers. I'd review their ratings and recommendations, select a few candidates, and then read consumers' anecdotal opinions on sites such as Home Depot and Best Buy. You MUST measure your available space and compare it to the appliances' dimensions -- including required empty space on top, sides, and rear -- before selecting products. Those dimensions may set the limits so that you won't have to worry about the appliances' capacities. Appliances Connection has a great search engine and is another place from which to buy.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

These are the models you are talking about:

GE GTW755CSMWS and GTW685BSLWS

Maytag MVWP575GW

I am in the same situation as you. My 12 year old GE Profile WPRB8050DCC top loader's transmission is going out. The price of the part is almost $300, and would cost about $200 for labor. Earlier this year I replaced myself the water level sensor ($100) due to overfilling.

So instead of spending $500 to replace the transmission, I've been researching which model to buy for the past couple months. I've seen the GE GTW755 and GTW685 in stores, but they feel cheaply made, and not very sturdy, unlike my GE Profile I got in 2006. Also, the reviews of the 755 and 685 are mixed with bad reviews saying they have a tough time balancing in the spin mode and other electronics issues after a few months.

I have yet to find anyone in South FL that has or sells the Maytag MVWP575GW, and despite it showing on Brandsmart and HomeDepot, neither store says they offer it any more. Which only leaves me to buy it from AJMadison or another site and have it truck delivered, which means I'd have to do the install (not looking forward to that).

But if the Maytag 575 is the better built model, lasts longer, washes better, and comes with the 5 year warranty included, then that may be the way to go.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

I'd really recommend you go with a front loader washing machine -- much more efficient with respect to energy and water use, and they are gentler on your clothes. Also, because they use less water, your clothes aren't as wet when they finish and so your dryer should likewise use less energy. Agitator-less top loaders are really front loaders on their side, and I've heard people find them uncomfortably deep.

LG has an excellent reputation in front-load washers, both for working well and for a very low rate of repairs. Yale Appliance and Consumer Reports both rate them very well.

• boba1
    5 years ago

Also, because they use less water, your clothes aren't as wet when they finish

Please do not misinterpret that statement as the lack of water means your garments aren't getting sufficiently wet. It's actually meaning since front loaders spin so much faster, they leave garments with less residual moisture.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

fauguy: The agitator washers you mentioned didn't do well in Consumer Reports testing. CR's best rated top-loader is an HE washer (no agitator), the LG WT7100CW which Home Depot customers also liked. The matching LG DLE7100W dryer also did well. LG appliances also sold at Appliances Connection and Lowes.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the comments so far! I’m trying to reconcile CR and what I’ve read here and other places, which is no easy task. Still reading...

• annied75
    5 years ago
    Last year, my husband and I purchased new appliances during Black Friday. I ended up purchasing a GE washer (TL with an agitator) and gas dryer. I'm happy with them, but I only do 3-4 loads of laundry a week, so they aren't overworked. I didn't choose a front loader, since they tend to get an odor if the door isn't left open when not in use. (My washer and dryer are housed in a closet, so I didn't want to leave the closet door open.)
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    Black Friday sales. I got this set at sears last year at 55% off normally $899 each I think got the pair for $849. This is actually the second pair we've bought this way. The year before we got the set for $829 for our old house but since it was stacked in our basement, we decided to sell it with the house hoping sears would do the same the next Black Friday and it did. Best part I just called sears and ordered them, didn't have to leave the house, deal with the sales crowds and still got the deal. They are Kenmore but made by LG
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    Obviously I like them to have bought them twice. Never had a problem with them. Big enough to do bedding. They are huge.
  • fauguy
    5 years ago

First off, my washer & dryer is located in the downstairs half-bathroom of my Townhouse. Basically there is a sink, toilet, washer & dryer this cabinets above them. This is one reason why a front loader would be tough to fit, since the there is only currently I have to stand between the side of the toilet and the top loader to reach in to do laundry. If there was a front loader, the door would hit and open up right at the toilet. You may say to up it on the stands, which would then place the door above the toilet seat, but it's still right there, so can't just "leave the door open 24/7 to prevent mold & mildew".

So because of those reasons, that is why pretty much everyone here as top loaders.

A few years ago, the place next door sold and the new neighbors moved in and bought the LG WT1501CW top load with the controls on the front. The entire time they lived there, it was always having problems and they said it never cleaned well. After they moved, the new people that bought have been using it a few months, and they also are having issues with it cleaning.

As far as C.R. testing, I'm not a fan of theirs. I know a few people that have bought their appliances over the years based solely on C.R. ratings (Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove, Washer, Dryer) and those items only last a couple years, break down, and then have to be replaced. So for CR to rate the WT7100 very high (which it's basically a smaller version of the WT7200, with controls in the back instead of on the front like the WT1501 next door) I'm not a fan of these "wash plate" units, as user reviews all have the same issues...not enough water, poor cleaning, and cloths getting damaged.

I put more stock on real customer and owner reviews that I have used a product for months/years to decide if it is a good product or not. The Maytag MVWP575GW unit is very highly rated by owners, and I don't see it listed on the C.R. web site.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Customers own only one appliance at a time and thus have no means to compare performance objectively.

Anecdotes of purchases made "over the years" are not meaningful as products and product quality (like cars) can change significantly over time.

Early on, washer manufacturers had difficulty building appliances that washed well and met stringent energy efficiency standards. Now, per CU's rating, as a group HE (non-agitator) washers perform better than agitator washers. But front loaders perform even better.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

" As far as C.R. testing, I'm not a fan of theirs. "

I'm not either, more because of what they don't test than what they do.........but there are lots of other reputable appliance review sites from people who actually work with appliance (like the Yale appliance blog), as well as word of mouth and internet user rankings. As always, toss out the top 10% and the bottom 10%, and take a critical look at the middle, because unless you know the person personally, you can't be sure they are "real customer and owner reviews"

• williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah, I know CR is limited, that’s why I prefer to check gardenweb. Never been steered wrong with anything I’ve looked for here (either my own posts, or more commonly existing posts). The top rated CR things are mostly the same companies, and none have a solid reputation elsewhere so I’m uneasy with them.

I’d go for one of the original two models if I could figure out if the size is ok...one seems small and one seems large, but hard to figure out if either would work well for me.

• queenvictorian
    5 years ago

I have the 3.5 cubic ft one and the size is fine - fits a queen comforter or two sets of sheets. We've been catching up on cleaning a massive backlog of linens after moving and the machine has never felt too small.

Anyway, I looked into Consumer Reports and yeah, there seems to be a massive disconnect between their ratings (and priorities) and those of consumers. I seriously wonder what the rankings would look like if they didn't put such a disproportionate emphasis on energy/water efficiency, or kept efficiency scores separate from straight-up clothes-washing performance/build quality scores.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

You can resort CR's ratings by any of the performance measurements such as washing performance by clicking on a column heading in the online ratings table. You can weight the measurements by your own criteria (e.g., washing performance is more/less important than reliability).

Consumers cannot compare products on an objective basis (e.g., washing performance) simply because they each own only one appliance. However consumers' opinions are useful. I recommend selecting a few products based on CR's ratings and then reading consumers' comments on sites such as Home Depot and Best Buy. However, consumers' ratings are anecdotal and biased (e.g., consumers are more likely to report dissatisfaction than satisfaction with products).

What CR doesn't do is adhere to the myth that appliances from expensive, fancy-pants brands are always better, the kinds of products frequently celebrated here.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

First off, I doubt this thread should be focused solely on "Is C.R. a good judge of washer ratings?"

To answer williamsem,

If you have a Lowes or Best Buy near by, the ones near me have the GE GTW750 and GTW680 on display. Keep in mind the 750/680 have the wash plates on the bottom, and the 755/685 have the traditional agitator pole. But that is their only difference.

I liked the 750(755) that I saw, but it is taller & deeper than the 680(685). Even though I'm 6'3" and have long arms, it was quite a reach to get to the bottom of the deeper 750(755). My mom is only 5', and didn't like how deep the 750(755) was because she could not reach the bottom at all. So based on the size of the unit, we felt better with the 685.

The GE Profile top load that I purchased (from Lowes) in 2006 is a 3.5cuft, and the Maytag 575 would be the same usable space inside. I've never felt it was small, except when washing my Cal King mattress topper, it is pretty stuffed and there is no turn-over. The GE 685 is rated at 4.5cuft, and the 755 at 4.9cuft, so both of those would have over 1cuft more space.

I've yet to find any local dealers that sell the Maytag 575, so may have to look up into Palm Beach. but the online prices are about $659. The best price on the GE 685 I've found locally is at BrandsMart for $529, but they have a discounted combo-price on the 685 washer and dryer for $929, plus $200 for the 5 year extended warranty and tax comes to $1197. So for $1200 for both units and 5 year warranty, that is a pretty good deal that I may jump on.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

queenvictorian,

Do you also have the matching Maytag Dryer? I had read in a few reviews saying that it sits about 2" lower than the washer, making the top not line-up next to the washer. Also I had read it doesn't dry well, requiring cloths/towels to run a 2nd time?

• queenvictorian
    5 years ago

Fauguy, yes we have the matching electric dryer.

I am not aware of the machines being different heights because our machines are not side by side (washer is hooked up to the spigots in one of the basins of the laundry sink, and then the dryer is over by the wall near the 240v outlet and the vent hole in the basement window - yeah... the previous owner left us with a very janky setup). But I assume you could add little feet or something to make the height match?

It's not quite as effective as the brutal old gas-powered commercial unit we had in our apartment (old coin op machine set to $0). I mean, this thing would get your clothes dry, but would do so by scorching the crap out of everything - ruined elastic stuff, delicate materials, etc. I took to line drying most of my clothes because I didn't like them getting trashed by the dryer. Even the low heat setting was too hot. I grew up with an electric dryer, and wasn't a fan of the gas ones (but it seems I had a bad experience).

If you set heat to high and use the max time on the timed dry, it'll get just about everything dry, except for big down things like comforters and pillows. Or if you overload it (five pillows is too many pillows!). Those need a time and a half (though I put the comforter on medium heat as per instructions). I like that the heat modulation actually works, so I can safely dry and tumble stretch jeans and stuff.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! Will also check out the 685.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

After some calling around today, I found 3 independent appliance dealers that sell the Maytag MVWP575 washer for $740, $800, and $860. The place that has it for $740 (and the dryer is also $740) wants $100 delivery + $125 install, so that's $1700 before tax. The other dealer that has them for $800 each wants $50 delivery (but wasn't able to verify if that includes installation), but would come to $1650. So regardless, we're talking around $1700+tax for both if we buy locally and have it delivered and installed. Buying it online would be $1400 (no tax), and I'd have to do all the install myself. So that's about $300-400 total difference.

The best price for the GE was at BrandsMart as they have the GTW685 Washer and GTD65 Dryer for $929 combo price, and $200 for 5 year extended warranty, so that's $1129 + tax.

Clearly, the GE combo price is the best deal at under $1200, but I'm just not sure about the quality, since there are more bad reviews on the GE 685 than the Maytag 575. What I'll have to do is look at the GE and the Maytag the same day at the different stores and see about their quality. I just hate having to spend $1700 for a new washer and dryer.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I'm in complete agreement with Dan. Craigslist-used Speed Queen. Mechanical controls.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still waffling on this. I really want to get something as I don’t want to wait for Presidents Day sales, but I’m also getting decision fatigue.

As far as I can tell, my current machine is between 3.5-4 cf, so I’m leaning toward something bigger than the Maytag...I’m just concerned that especially with the agitator I will find it a bit small. I might try to see if I can look at one locally.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

Since the transmission in my 12 year old GE Profile Top Load has been going out since last month, I really don't want to wait to Feb (Presidents Day), as I'm not sure if it would last another 3 months.

Since mine is 3.5cuft, the Maytag 575 (which I still have to see in person) should be the same size tub internally. The GE 680 is listed at 4.6cuft and the 685 with the agitator pole is listed at 4.5cuft. So that would be 1cuft more than my current GE or the Maytag 575.

You could probably find a GE 680/685/750/755 at either a Lowes or BestBuy.

The Maytag 575 would only be at independent appliance stores.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe I should give front loaders another look, they seem to be quieter and clean better vOv

• fauguy
    5 years ago

I was able to get ahold of the other appliance store down in Ft Lauderdale, and they quoted me $750 for the Maytag MVWP575 washer and matching dryer, also there is no charge for delivered and installation.
    Both items for $1500 +tax for the set is alot to come up with right now, so if I went that route, I'd probably just get the Maytag washer and keep my GE washer for now - then look to replace it with the matching Maytag dryer next year.

The GE GTW685 washer is $530 + $120 for the 5 year warranty = $650, which is $100 less than the Maytag, but not as good.
    The only "deal" is the combo price for the GE 685 washer and dryer at $930 + $200 warranty = $1130 (which would make the GE washer and dryer $565 each with the warranty).

After the holiday this week, I'll have time to go look at the Maytag in person next week

• williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok, just spent the day deciding and finally placed my order! Got a FL LG3700 set, $899 each plus $50 rebate each, $39/29 delivery and install including burst proof hoses and dryer plug. In the end, the better cleaning, less noise, and allergy hot water settings swayed me. Plus read good things about this model. Crossing my fingers . Went with a local appliance place hoping for a decent install, and they do repairs, so if I have an issue I’m hoping they fix it.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

I've also hear good things about the LG 3700. My local Brandamart has the set for $1300

https://www.brandsmartusa.com/lg/227133/4+5+cuft+front+load+washer+with+7+4+cuft+front+load+electric+dryer.htm

• williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That’s a really good sale price for those!

• fauguy
    5 years ago

Actually, I was thinking of the 3770 that has the good reviews. The 3770 has the "power wash" where it recirculates the wash water and sprays it with jets on both sides of the door. The 3700 doesn't had this feature from what I can tell.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wasn’t convinced it was worth the extra money and concerned about how hard to keep clean the recirculating system might be...probably not even an issue, but I had to pick and couldn’t find anything solid about it, so I thought it would be one less thing to worry about . It does sound like a good thing, especially with the time save. I had just hit my limit and couldn’t deal with yet another thing to think about lol. Was not an easy choice though!

• fauguy
    5 years ago

Also, for that price you could of gone with the Electrolux 627 washer. Most reviews and videos have shown it cleans really well. If it wasn't for the fact that I have to go with a top load (due to the washer and dryer located in the downstairs half-bathroom) I might of went with the Electrolux 627.

I looked again at the GE GTW685 again this weekend, and it just has a cheap build quality that I don't like. Still need to look at the Maytag Commercial 575 in person next week.

• always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

I don't know where Cheryl is finding these deals on pair of TL's...WOW amazing prices though. Just the washer is $899. in my area :-(

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    always1stepbehind Black Friday deals at sears for kenmore but made by LG I limped along for years with a washer that leaked and a dryer that's sense dry quit only timed dry worked. Saw the deal and how could I not jump on it?just on Black Friday though only that one day
  • williamsem
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Took delivery yesterday! Love them so far! Washed some towels last night as a test and they came out fresh and fluffy. Got two sets of sheets in there now on Allergiene to see how that goes. Have to get a new drip pan since the old one is cracked...that’s the only thing I’m a bit miffed about because I asked about buying a new one from the place and the guy insisted I should use the old one that’s already hooked up to the drain. Should have just got a new one anyway.

oh! And sooo much quieter than the old washer! Very excited to be able to use it whenever I remember to wash things

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I know you'll love them. Because they are big enough to wash bedding they are deep and I have to crawl into them to retreive a sock now and then. its nice that there is a stop to keep the door slightly open to help with the mold problems in earlier front load washers.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just wanted to follow up and say I’m loving my new machines! I’m still learning how to use powdered detergent, but things are coming out very clean and pretty dry from the washer. I love the allergy cycle, I can finally wash my sheets the way my allergist recommends! I wash my loads back to back every other week or so, then wipe out the gasket, dump the liquid detergent cups if needed, and leave the drawer and door open. Hoping I’ll avoid any issues that way.

• MiMi
    4 years ago

I have the same machines. I could not love the washer more! The dryer has been nothing but trouble tho...