Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitown72_gw

Water from under toilet when washer drains

ChiTown72
5 years ago

When my washer drains, water comes from under the toilet and also sewer fumes. Plumber came out and unclogged my vent pipe on my roof which took care of the problem of my toilets not flushing while the main line was full of water and not draining properly. But unfortunately the water keeps coming up from under the toilet. He said he couldn't properly diagnose cause he didn't have the proper camera but would return. In the meantime, I can't use my washer and now I've noticed sewer fumes in my dishwasher after a doing a load of dishes. Had this problem about 10 months ago and same Plumber came out and fixed the issue but now it's back.

Comments (11)

• ChiTown72
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes the Plumber snaked the vent for the toilet but not the other vents. Since the issue is when I use the washer and dishwasher, I'm suspecting the clog is right where you're saying it is. I'll try snaking the other vents and also using the Roebic which was recently recommended to me. Thanks for your time.

• klem1
    5 years ago

If the plumber didn't snake the main sewer line while he was there,he's milking you for money. It's only necessary to put a camera in line if blockage returns shortly after snaking.

• ChiTown72
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes the plumber snaked the main line and there was a clog cause my toilets weren't flushing and now they are. But my other issue remains, water coming up from the bottom of toilet when my washer and dish washer drain. That issue was not resolved. Plumber said he would return when he had the proper scope for the drain and will not charge me for the call. But what I'm trying to figure out is why the water is coming up when my washers drain and if I could solve the issue myself. Having to wait on the plumber is stressful cause I can't use my washer and dish washer in the meantime.

• klem1
    5 years ago

There's not much you can do about it other than wait for the plumber.

• sofaspud
    5 years ago
    The only logical thing I can think of is the main drain is still partially blocked, so when your washer drains, the water volume is high enough so the drains back up and start leaking around the bottom of the toilet. This also calls into concern that the toilet wax ring seal is partially compromised.

I had a similar issue in my old house, and it turned out to be roots from a nearby maple tree that had invaded the drain line under the front lawn. Fortunately that was resolved without digging.
    ChiTown72 thanked sofaspud
  • Jakvis
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If your wax seal under the toilet is good you should not be seeing water come out from under the toilet base. So you have 2 issues... A drain blockage (the reason for the back up) and a bad wax seal under the toilet (the reason water could leak from under the toilet if the drain is backed up)

ChiTown72 thanked Jakvis
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

The line may be partially clogged up with lint from the washer. In days of yore, washers had lint filters that you cleaned. Not anymore. So I have a lint sock on the washer drain hose and the drain hose empties into the laundry sink to try to prevent plumbing problems.

ChiTown72 thanked ci_lantro
  • ChiTown72
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I truly believe that I have clogged roof vents. Won't know for sure until I get someone to snake them and see if it takes care of the problem. The plumber that just came out told me that he thinks I have a cracked/broken pipe and that he would return when his camera is working so he can scope it out. I honestly do not believe that I do and I'll find out if my theory is correct once I've had the vents cleared. I will only pay for him to "diagnose" as a last resort. From what I've learned doing research and speaking to people with the same issue, the most probable cause is a clog. Also, the plumber did change the wax seal but that didn't stop the water from coming up. Will be replacing it again when my issue is resolved cause water has been coming up through that wax seal. I'll definitely update when I resolve issue. Hope my experience can help someone else.

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    Do you have city sewer or a septic system? City line then it should be snaked all the way to the main line. If you are on septic system does it need pumping?
    ChiTown72 thanked mainenell
  • ChiTown72
    Original Author
    5 years ago

City sewer.