Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson1533

Help us with layout & design of new home office (please)!

Doug
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've never had a proper home office before, and with our new home we have a dedicated room which we (mostly me) are really excited about. So far all we have is my fancy new adjustable desk and some lighting. My main dilemma is how to orient the desk. I'd like to ideally face at least in the direction of the door, without my back directly against the window. Right now the slanted angle just seems a bit awkward.

Ultimately we'd like to add the following:

• 8' x 10' rug (room is ~ 10' x 13'); we are stuck on what colors/style
  • nice artwork, likely on the large wall on right when you enter
  • comfortable chair for reading
  • some curtains to absorb the sound and act as nice accent
  • a bookcase with some storage (so we can display books but hide some boring stuff)
  • maybe some wood floating shelves somewhere behind desk (since I work from home 2x/week and want it to look professional for video chat meetings)

If you have any thoughts on how to best position the desk/chair and/or any other thoughts we're all ears!

This is angle from hallway (entrance to office)

Looking left as you enter room

View from desk towards entrance (wall to left is large and currently blank)

Comments (11)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I don't think having a window behind you will be an asset to video conferencing. Position the desk perpendicular to the window at your left and decorate the wall behind you with art and/or framed professional certificates if you have any. Add a comfortable chair with the floor lamp in that corner where there will also be natural light for reading. If you want shelves, they could go on the wall above the reading area. A low bookcase on the right wall as you enter can have art hung 5" above it. For a masculine yet soft feel try lined textured or fabric shades at the windows. I would select art first and then bring some of its colors to the rug and shades.

Doug thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Doug
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks decoenthuasiaste!

I think we will follow your advice and position the desk that way. This way I'll have the window to my left and can look into the backyard if I want, and also face the large wall where we can place a nice long & short bookcase with art. I think the reading area to my right (on wall that current has guitar and standing lamp) will look great.

We are going to try a rug like this one to complement the more modern bamboo desk top and dark navy walls:

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Great! Look forward to seeing pix of the results. Please come back here and post them so we can see.

Doug thanked decoenthusiaste
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Funny, Manon; I just put that bookshelf in my ideabook.

• Doug
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love that built-in idea! I think we have to do standalone bookshelves though, because this room will likely become a bedroom at some point over the next several years depending on kiddos.

• Doug
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just realized I didn't close the loop on this post. Sorry about that. Here is what we ended up with:

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Ah ha! I see that your office now includes....”GOLF!” (Just so long as you have the tournament on mute during your Zoom meetings!). 😆

• Doug
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Absolutely! It unintentionally took over...

• tcufrog
    3 years ago

Cute dog. What kind? He/she looks like a large version of my Goldendoodle.

• Doug
    Original Author
    3 years ago

he's a Goldendoodle!