Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzeu

Need help: Window treatment for extra wide picture window.

Diane
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I need help deciding how to dress a very large, extra wide picture window in my recently purchased 1974 Ranch.

Here are the elements:

• One large 8.5' wide picture window flanked by two smaller 2' windows totaling: 12.5' wide x 5' tall.
  • Is in our long, narrow family room which is part of an open floor plan.
  • North facing window with cherry paneling makes for a dark but very cozy space.
  • Needs nighttime privacy & some insulation for the very cold months.
  • Windows are flanked by two doors. One of which is never used.
  • Large, taupe sectional sits across from window. Room is where our family gathers on a daily basis. We love to burn crispy fires in the fireplace.

Thanks so much for any ideas, advice, suggestions you share!

The Den · More Info

The Den · More Info

The Den · More Info

The Den · More Info

1974 Ranch-Open Floor Plan · More Info

1974 Ranch- Open Floor Plan: Entry, Kitchen, Dining, Family Room. · More Info

Comments (12)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

There isn't from for draperies to stack back without covering the two side windows. You'd still have plenty of light from the big window if you did that. Hang double lined draw drapes from a long rod mounted close to the ceiling. Otherwise, top down/bottom up shades that are lined or insulated could work.

Diane thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Diane
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! If I do a shades, how could I configure that? As in, two shades for the large window and a shade each for the smaller ones? Or somehow treat the side windows as part of the larger one?? I hope I make sense. Thanks again!

• PRO
    L & L Window Fashions
    5 years ago

I agree with the above post that insulated draperies would work on those windows, but the small side windows would be covered by the stack back.

If you want to maintain the view on all three windows, I would do three individual shades. Honeycomb shades come in very wide widths and they will provide you with insulation for the winter months.

Diane thanked L & L Window Fashions
  • Diane
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! I've been looking at honeycomb shades as well for the windows. I've also thought about using a Bamboo blind in the middle and stationary drapes over the two smaller windows. Worried it might be too much wood with the paneled walls though..

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

I don't think drapery will work and you definitely need visual relief from the wood walls and flooring. Have you considered doing some shutter arrangement? The views are nice, so is temperature control an issue? Solar shades might be all you need. I'm wondering what you really need the most? Light control/temperature control, a feeling of needing drapes? What bothers you most?

Diane thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

These are panels you can hang from the ceiling or a mounting above the windows. When you want the view, you can slide them in stacks either side of the big window. I would do white.

Adjustable Sliding Panel, Nevada Timberwolf, 78"x96" · More Info

Diane thanked Flo Mangan
  • Snaggy
    5 years ago

Nice room

Diane thanked Snaggy
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

No shutters honestly you need max light coming into that space and IMO the best is the drapes using part of the small windows for the stack back or the siding ones above but they will always cover at least one window too. I never like 2 blinds on a big window they always look sloppy . I know you probably love all the wood but IMO some of it really needs to go Maybe start by painting those builtins to give some releif from all the wood.

Diane thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

drapery panels for winter.... you can take them down in non-snow season.

Diane thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Diane
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all! My most urgent needs are night privacy and cool temp insulation. I'm leaning towards drapes on the sides to soften the space and a blind in the middle to lower at night. As for all the wood, I agree, it's too much and I've been considering painting the built-ins. I'm just worried I won't like it afterwards and can't unpaint it. It's been a tough room to deal with altogether. I appreciate all the advice!! Please keep it coming!

• shadylady2u
    5 years ago

If you put blinds on the middle window, I'd still put blinds on the outer ones, even if you hang curtains.

Also, those panels need to be pretty full for such a wide window so it doesn't look skimpy. I'd say minimum 3 widths per side (or 3 panels if readymades). Anything less would probably look better with just blinds.