Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_297182618

20x20 family/living room layout idea help needed

HU-297182618
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Buying a house with a 20x20 living room/family room that opens to a dining room and kitchen (not keeping the furniture or piano. Only comes with the TV). Looking for overall layout suggestions as well as furniture and rug size recommendations. Color scheme plan is blues, grey, beige and gold with touches of shiny wood. Thank

you!

Comments (16)

• HU-297182618
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• HU-297182618
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Morgan Harris
    5 years ago

Any chance you could knock out the middle partition? it creates an awkward barrier between the dining room and living room. IF you're able to do that, I would consider moving TV to other wall (the one without windows), and change position of sofa to face the TV. Could this be a possibility for you?

• HU-297182618
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm pretty sure the wall with the TV has to remain for construction purposes. If we kept it the way it is, what would you recommend?

• Morgan Harris
    5 years ago

I would still recommend placing the TV on the other wall and rearranging the sofa and other furniture in accordance to the new TV position. Put some nice art in place of the TV now.

• HU-297182618
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Would it be odd to have the back of the couch facing the kitchen?

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    5 years ago

I would try to reorient the room towards the windows if at all possible. Put the tv on the wall adjacent to the windows or angled in the corner. The partial wall would then become a "dividing line" between the two areas and not seem as awkward as it does now. Put a console table and light on it or bookshelf or something to give it a purpose.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Move the TV to the large wall with a credenza underneath that is at least 25% wider than the TV. Orient a sectional so it faces the TV & view. No overstuffed man-cave one though. You mention the kitchen as though it is off of this room rather than the dining room. Care to post a rough floor plan? I think the big room is large enough for living & dining and the dining room might make a cozy library, game room or spot for a fireside evening.

• HU-297182618
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's a floor plan, thanks

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Obviously the pano lens for realty pix has warped perspective a bit. At least with the TV on the longer wall you could watch from the breakfast nook. As I said above, I would float a sectional in the center of the room with one wing facing the TV on that big wall and the other facing the windows/view. The free standing wall would make a great spot for a tall piece of casegoods like a bookcase or secretary. Are you buying all new furniture or using what you have? Maybe we need to see pix of your stuff that you're contemplating using here.

• HU-297182618
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really don't have much furniture but I have this large lichtenstein painting I want to incorporate into this room. I also want to purchase the crate and barrel axis ii sectional in a light grey or beige.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Well, to make that picture a feature you could dedicate the free-standing TV wall to it. Ideally, the wall should be wide enough to accommodate a table or console 25% smaller than the wall's width and at least 25% wider than the picture. Width anywhere near that would work to make the art your main attraction and maintain balance of wall, table (or console) and art.

HU-297182618 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • kleb22
    3 years ago

Any chance you could give me the measurements of the windows? Hoping to do something similar

• robasks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@kleb22, they are in the plan above. I'm not sure what the individual windows measure, but it's a 20ft wall with 3 windows.

Also, what if the awkward wall would look like this? Definitely less awkward in that picture for wtv reason....

Actually would love to know why this picture looks nice while the other one is awkward...