0

Double Sided Fireplace Dilemma

S Led

I'm not sure what to do with this double sided fireplace. I thought about covering up the cutouts to center the TV but im hoping to see if there are any better ideas out there. The other side is supposed to be a family room but were converting into a dining room.

Nicole Forina Home

Your spot on about covering up those cut outs. They seem unnecessary and break up the flow.

• Rachel Lee
    Get rid of the cutouts, take down the tv. You have space to the left for a tv area, which puts it at a much more comfortable viewing height.

Is the fireplace gas? You could move it to the left, under the t v and then finish off the archway.

• functionthenlook

I'm with Rachel. Your talking $$ to move the fireplace.

• S Led
    Yes its gas. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to move it but I like your idea! Or even get rid of it altogether. It was the one part of the house that bothered me from day 1
  • ldecor54

i would Move the tv. Altogether. What about opening the wall on the left side to match the right side. Then fill in above the fireplace the width of the whole fireplace.

YB Interiors, LLC

In my opinión you should do both as you said, cover the spots and move the fireplace left.

• S Led
    ldecor54. I think it would be too open that way.
    YB Interiors, LLC

I dont think you can open the wall on the left side.... probably the other side is a kitchen and they are using that wall

• groveraxle

I suspect that cutout will be harder to close up than you think.

T V where the round mirror is leaning on mantle?

Close up openings to give a solid wall over the fireplace. Open other side of firplace for two walkways.

• ci_lantro

Close up both openings. But it is not going to be a clean, quick project because you need to deal with removing the existing mantel and replacing it. Which isn't to say that it will be a difficult project, just a bit more involved than nailing up some new drywall. Very much worth the effort though because what ya' got there is pretty bad.

• Karen Rose
    Holy smokes, that tv is not good there. For starters it is waaayyyyy too high. I think the fireplace is a nice design element, but the tv needs to fins another home.