0

• luis_pr

that was supposed to read "camelliashop.com"

• vvasabi

Since it’s going to dip to 10 ºF tomorrow in my area, I’m just about to cover my camellias that are still exposed. Last winter I wrapped my camellias in garden fleeces, and there were a good number of survivors (albeit with varying degrees of winter damages). This year I am burying them with fallen leaves, in addition to the garden fleeces outside. We’ll see how it goes next spring.

• luis_pr

Holy, cow. That is, er, "brisk" weather!!! I would appreciate all that work myself if I was a plant! Hee hee hee! Stay warm and close to your nearest Starbucks, wherever you are. I just finished planting one camellia minutes ago but my area is mild (50s and lows above freezing).

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/2018-11-18-thanksgiving-day-record-cold-northeast

• vvasabi

Last year, it also dropped to 15 ºF on November 10, and it went from 50s a week ago to hard frost. That rapid freezing probably resulted in more winter damages alone than colder temperatures later in the winter. That’s the reason why, this year, I went out to wrap my plants just before the anticipated hard frost. Hopefully, the effort will allow me to save some buds. :)

I hear you about staying close to Starbucks. Thankfully, we do have plenty (and probably too many) of them. On my daily commute to work, I will pass by at least 4 locations (and numerous other coffee shops) during a 25-minute walk. I suspect the cold climate is exactly why they can stay afloat. Haha!

luis_pr thanked vvasabi
  • ctgardenguy (Connecticut zone 6)

I have a Winter's Joy camellia that I planted in the spring. It has fat buds, but it might be too late in the season for the buds to open up and flower. I have covered it when the temps dropped below freezing. Should I cover it up at temps above freezing? Do I have a chance of seeing it flower? I know I am pushing my luck with a camellia in Connecticut (zone 6b), but we gardeners up North are always pushing the zone hardiness.

• vvasabi

I can’t think of any harms to your plant there may be to undo the cover during warm spells, as long as the ground is not solidly frozen. I would personally try it to see if there will be some nice late fall/early winter blooms. Good luck!