0

Why don't the leaves want to come off?

I am surprised that I am having difficulty removing hosta leaves from some of my plants. We have already had a hard frost. And some hostas just don't seem to want to go dormant! Why? I am ready to store them for the winter and be done with it!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

A bunch of mine did the same thing... I wondered, too. But I just cut them off so there won't be a mess of crunchy leaves in the garage later.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

I have leaves hanging on too..it seems to be the varieties with thicker foliage..

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I don't like cutting them off because of having to disinfect my pruners. I will if I have to. I never thought about the thickness of the leaves and whether that made a difference.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

once completely dry.. i wonder if there is a hvx issue??? ... these arent fully dry, obviously ... some parts are ...

wish chris would chime in ...

ken

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Never thought of it as a hvx issue. Anyways, I noticed this kind of thing as of last year. Attributed it to our late hard frost. That's all that I could think of.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

Never thought of it as a hvx issue

==>>> then what are you disinfecting from?

i think they dried.. before they rotted.. or turned to mush ...

ken

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

I have noticed too that certain ones want to hold onto their leaves longer. I have always thought that it was lineage. Some species/crosses dry and some turn to mush. I bet if you took note it would be the same plants each year. I think weather conditions would play a part as well.

I am pretty sure Ken is referring to HVX possibly being less of a transfer issue in fall.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the plants in the pix.. are way beyond 'fall' .... they appear fully dormant ... i doubt any vital juices are still moving thru the plant ... so i wonder if hvx could get down into the roots???

fully speculating ... i have no clue... ken

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

"i think they dried.. before they rotted.. or turned to mush ..." That sounds like a possibility. Hope that doesn't mean the soil was too dry before storing for the winter.

"Some species/crosses dry and some turn to mush." Interesting. Perhaps I will mark a few with tape and see what happens next year.

Thanks.

• in ny zone5

You have to wait a little longer after the first frost. Not all hostas will be ready to have leaves pulled on the same day. I never cut off leaves, or you have to bathe your tool in 10% bleach before you use it on the next hosta, and I am too lazy to do that for several 100 hostas, I simply wait.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked in ny zone5