FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

poncirusguy6b452xx

how many bushels of fruits do you get from your citrus trees.

poncirusguy6b452xx

Whether your citrus trees are in ground or potted I am interested what your annual harvest of fruit per tree. Please let us know what variety, in ground/potted, growing zone and quantity of fruit

1) New Zealand lemonade---Inside-------potted-------------------4 fruits,

2)Meiwa kumquat---------------inside--------potted-------------------60 fruit, 1 pint,

3) seed grown meiwa----------inside--------potted-------------------2 fruits, 4 trees

4) Fukush/from seed --------outside------in ground---------------0 fruits

5) Fukushu/C35------------------inside-------potted--------------------0 fruits

6)New Zealand lemonade---outside------in ground---------------1 green fruit

7)New Zealand lemonade---inside------- potted--------------------0 fruits

• johnmerr

Who knows what is a bushel? LOL...

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked johnmerr
  • myermike_1micha

0, nada, zilch, nothing, pastape..lol Oops wait Steve, a few Lemon Meyer and one orange!

MIke

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked myermike_1micha

How do you use your Attic?

Jpp221 - thank you! Don't worry, his addiction is incurable and there's no chance he'll stop any time soon. And that's the second library in the house, his office walls are covered in books(shelves) as well. About the gap - as we don't have children, we decided not to close off the staircase and leave it open plan - we thought of building some shelves at that end too, or installing a banister - but I don't think there's a need for it. The bathroom up there has a pocket door - we purposely designed it that way so nobody would swing the door open and hit someone outside. Btw - how are your in-laws?

Do you grow any fruits/veggies in you yard?

I have a small 50'x100' lot but grew up growing our own food. So I grow a few dwarf fruit trees like peaches, apple, and cherries. I have blueberry, raspberry, wineberry, blackberry and dwarf cranberry bushes, grape & kiwi vines, & strawberries. Perennial veggies such as artichokes, asparagus, leeks, garlic, oregano, coriander, fennel, lavendar, rosemary, sage, & thyme. As for annual vegetables, I grow cucumbers, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers, tomatoes, cherry tomotoes, zucchini, summer squash, spinach, chard, kale, broccoli, potatoes, green beans, peas, celery, basil, and plenty of salad greens. A coffee tree and 3 fig trees which I bring inside for the winter. Long lsland gets cold winters, we're zone 7, so I overwinter a lot of my sensitive plants in a small greenhouse. With the greenhouse I can grow spinach and lettuce year round. And of course of native pollinator plants to maximize production. So much better than growing grass.

POLL: Do you have fruit trees?

Nailah, you're going to live with the tree a long time, so get one you like. Bare-root season is about over, so you should be able to find some good deals; I got my fig tree two years ago the first week of March for $10 and a cherry tree for $12.50. You can find a good description of a lot of cultivars on the Dave Wilson site and you can find out about how many chill hours your tree will need. I do know that Babcock is a great white peach, and that it blooms a lot later than most, which means the flowers are more protected from late frosts than earlier types would be. Indian Free is the absolute best of the white peaches, and it also blooms late, but it is unusual in that it needs a pollinator. I have both, and they bloom together but the Babcock's peaches are ripe quite a bit earlier than the Indian Free--so the flowers overlap but not the ripening. Perfect.

How do you clean your hardwood floors?

I hate poly because it looks fake and scratches in a non-patina like way. I also don't like when things look new and perfect (which is what poly gets you at least at the beginning). I have seen some nice poly jobs, and certainly if I had kids or a dog that is the way I would go, but for my needs some sort of tung oil or waterlox finish is what I am leaning toward (I have not sorted it out yet). I wish I could figure out what was used originally (still learning about wood). Keep in mind I am an historic preservationist and poly is not period correct so that is clearly a part of it.
  • Denise Becker

This year all I have are Owari mandarins. I would say about 1/2 a bushel. I am guessing as I don't have a basket to use as a guide and am not taking fruit off the tree until I am ready to eat it.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Denise Becker
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Denice That is an excellent answer.

I don't have a bushel basket but I believe that 9.30917797 US gallons closely equals a bushel.

Steve

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)

Have bushels of hope for the trees' fruiting. Meyer lemon 3, Meiwa kumquat 5, limes 4, all of them are in containers. We are growing very expensive citrus fruit!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • Ike Stewart

Who, knows, I just know it is way more than my family can eat even in a bad year, often more than I can give away. The crop on my Satsuma trees is light this year, and today I picked 16 pounds of fruit off of 2 of my 3 mature trees and did not make a visible dent in the number of fruit ready to pick on them. I only know it was 16 pounds as I weighed it to give to a friend (they asked for 10-15 pounds). My 3rd year in ground Meyers lemon is about 5 feet tall had 1 lemon on it last year, and 18 totaling about 10 pounds this year, who knows what it will have next year, and my 3rd year in ground Cara Cara is getting close to 8 feet tall, and has yet to form a fruit. My first year in ground Miho Satsuma had 5 fruit total, each weighing well under half a pound, perhaps totaling 2 pounds. 2 other 3rd year Satsumas (a Louisiana Early and a St Ann's) had no fruit, and my 4th year Armstrong had about 8-10 pounds worth total.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Ike Stewart
  • Kelley_GA8a

15 trees: 1 tiny fruitlet on my new key lime LOL. Hopefully that will change next year

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Kelley_GA8a
  • Denise Becker

Kelley, Based on number of trees that sounds just as pathetic as mine. I have 25 trees and about 30 fruits total and those are just from my Owari. lol.

• Bob

I am too embarrassed to tell you Steve that my tree’s has not reach the 500 big ones that I should have, maybe 3 years from now. I really don't worry about quantity and i really don't worry about taste, to me they all taste pretty damn good, can't bitch at all.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Bob
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

It varies from year to year and from variety to variety. Regardless, I love eating a fruit that I've grown myself and one that beats the flavor of what they sell in the store. So for me, it's not about the 'bushels' quantity. LOL!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

I generally can buy better tasting food than I can grow. exceptions all squash, spinach, peppers, peaches, and pears. Everything else is better from the store. Can't buy sweet lemons kumquats, figs. My fruits are pesticide free. My spinach is far superior to anything i can buy.

Steve

• redneckgirlgreenthumb

This year I will only get about a quart bag of Key Limes, a little less than a gallon bag of Meiwa Kumquats, 12 to 15 Ponderosa and Meyer lemons and one Buddha's Hand.

In the past I have gotten as much as a gallon and a half of Key Limes, but after having to prune to get it in the greenhouse, the yield hasn't been as good. Although the fruit is bigger than in past years.

No Clementines this year. And the red lime, finger lime, kaffir lime, thornless key lime, mineola tangelo and lemonade are all too young to fruit.

These are all in containers.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked redneckgirlgreenthumb
  • nmfruit

I guess it sounds like potted citrus are very shy bearers! I had a bunch of them years ago, and was thinking of getting into it again, but you have all just reminded me how little the edible reward is! Bummer that citrus is also cheap and widely available at the grocery! But I would say that commercial oranges are typically pretty tasteless — maybe that is what I should try growing... I hope somebody else will chime in with an impressive harvest from their potted trees

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked nmfruit
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

Best navel oranges in the stores are the California Sky Valley navels that come out in late December or early January. Can't imagine growing a much better navel than this one here at home. But all other navels in the stores -- at least out here in Mid-Atlantic -- are crap.

• Jeff
    Got a solid 40 lemons off my Meyer Lemon Tree and I have 6 Temple Oranges I hope will be ready in December. Can't seem to get any full sized Satsumas to grow on my little Owari Bush, just a bunch of Marble sized fruit
    poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Jeff
  • nulesm

Nmfruit before you become totally discouraged I just wanted to show you some of the fruit my tree's produced last winter and my citrus are in pots and I live in snowy Canada .

Just one picking of many.
    Shasta Gold pic taken a couple of years ago. Citrus might produce heavy one year and light the following, every year is different that's what makes it fun . Also you cannot beat the taste of home grown no comparison.

Brian

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked nulesm
  • Bob

Nice tree Brian, how do you rate that Shasta Gold, got three started. Got all the gold series grafted this past winter, doing good. Looks like you up potted that tree.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Bob
  • nulesm

Steve some years my tree's produce bushels plural like last year . This year is a much lighter year for fruit maybe from trimming 5 tree's by half or more . This year is the year of the Tango for me that tree is totally coated but they won't be ready until late March . Steve the citrus coming off my tree's are so much better than store bought!!! Last pics because I can go on and on .

Pics of Page.

Page's are incredible off the tree
    Brian

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked nulesm
  • nulesm

Hi Bob it tastes very different from the other mandarins I have . The fruit from my Shasta tastes very tropical , like every tropical fruit I can think of mixed together . The fruit can hang on the tree for months and months and the longer the sweeter and juicier they get .

Brian

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked nulesm
  • Bob

Brian good to know and thanks, got to make my tree look like yours. Can't wait! Btw, got a total of 3 grocery bags of Page's picked for the last 3 weeks, got only one tree that is going on 10 years old. One of my favorites, Xie-shan is my wife's.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Bob
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Perhaps next year these 2 trees my put pout some quantity

6Ft by 6FT by 2.5FT NZL loosely structured.

• nulesm

Hi Bob Pages are one of my favorites also and the tree's are prolific. I have not tried Xie-Shan but heard there great !!! That's some mighty good picking from your Page Bob enjoy your bounty that's what Thanksgiving is all about . Wishing you and your wife a terrific Thanksgiving!!!

Brian

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked nulesm
  • Bob

Like wise Brian, hope family doing great. Happy Thanksgiving.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Bob
  • calamondindave

I don't usually count them. We usually get a couple baskets of satsumas, and enough lemons and limes to have whenever we need any. I give away a lot to friends. With so many calamondin trees, we have way more than we can use there, bags of them, and I'm not complaining about that. Happy Thankgsgiving, btw!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked calamondindave
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Dave Nice harvest. I loose track of who is doing what. Are your trees in pots that you take in each year.

Steve

• Bob

Because I am in zone 7a, I have mine in containers, of coarse there is a big difference. It is a lot more difficult to grow a citrus successful that way, there is no comparison. I rate container growing difficult, period!!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Bob
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

The 6a to 6b zone change is 578 feet crows flight S/SE of me. I am in a strong micro zone that putts me in a solid zone 6b short of a zone 7a. Citrus tree growing this far north is much more expensive than buying fruit, not counting labor costs. Figs however grow for free

Steve

• Bob

Steve, you got it all wrong, it is a hobby and a hobby cost money, it is a matter how much you want to spend. For instant, I like good music and I am willing to spend a chunk on it, citrus is just peanuts. It cost money to make one happy, i am their already

I am not as good as you about saving money but if you stay on this forum long enough i might pick-up with time.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Bob
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

My hobbies have almost always brought money into the household and or slowed the necessary out flow of money. My gardening saved much money. The garden on my rooftop doubled my insulation and cut my heating cost in half and my cooling cost by 2/3. The baking hot sun never touches the roof. I have the citrus trees and I will work with them. I am expecting two of them to pay off next year. My gardening was and is ment for nutritional and fiscal survival. Gardening was never a hobby for me. It was a relaxing job that had to be done. Much better than working for the Man/woman

Steve

• Bob

Good grief , another lesson, cut that out Steve!!!!!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Bob
  • Myrtle Ivy

I get lots of fruits on my limes and kumquats; fewer on the lemons, and virtually nothing on the oranges. Not sure what the problem is with the oranges. Maybe the coming season will be different. Mine are grown containerized outside then have to survive a chilly garage over the winter. So my favorites are definitely the limes..., and those are supposed to be the really tropical ones, so I am clueless.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Myrtle Ivy
  • Bob

Are your orange tree, s grafted, if so, do you know if The budwood came from a tree that has already bore fruit, if not you might have to wait a little longer. People give you budwood from young tree,s,that I don’t want. The right budwood you can fruit the following year.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Bob
  • calamondindave

Steve: all my trees are in containers. I'm going to put a few in ground come spring, citrumelo and citrangequat and maybe more. Still planning to get a marumi kumquat tree too.

• poncirusguy6b452xx

Thanks Dave; That tells me a lot. I am in pot because of my zone 6b. It is nice to think that I stand a chance of excellent harvests in the future from my potted trees. My in ground lemon on C35 may grow to aggressively to bare much at a manageable size

Steve

• kcandmilo

My finger lime is heavy with fruit, as is the calamondin. The key lime has about 30 fruit on it right now. The Mexican sweet lime only has about 6 to 10 fruit on it, the orange just one! The variegated pink eureka has a dozen fruit on it, but everytime I try one, they are hard and dry. The work horses are definitely the two Meyer lemons.

This is what was left on the ground after the pruning last month, but luckily there were many takers for green citrus of various kinds.

KC

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked kcandmilo
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Update for 2019/2020

1) New Zealand lemon/US897---Inside-------potted---------------5 fruits,

2)Meiwa kumquat--------------------inside-------potted---------------90 fruit, 1.5 pint,

3) seed grown meiwa---------------inside------potted----------------33 fruits, 4 trees

4) Fukush/from seed ---------------outside----in ground------------0 fruits

5) Fukushu/C35----------------------inside-------potted----------------0 fruits

6)New Zealand lemonade--------outside----in ground-----------40 / .5 bushels

7)NZL on Seville sour---------------inside----- potted----------------3 green fruits

How about your 2019/2020 bushels of harvest.

Steve

• John Merrifield

my commercial Meyers produce more or less 300 lemons per year at 3 per pound equals 100 lbs. My garden Meyers that get more special attention, produce upwards of 400 per year.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked John Merrifield
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

I do want to point out that a bushel =35.239072 liters = 9.30917797344 gallons. I had to look up this when I harvested 25 gallons of sweet potatoes 1 year from my rooftop garden.

Steve

• John Merrifield

Just for interest.. there is the Winchester bushel (US); the Avery bushel (Canada); the Imperial bushel (UK) and a few others less important. They are mostly similar but not identical; especially if you are dealing in international trade and large volumes, or strict standards.

• poncirusguy6b452xx

You can count on the USA being the last if ever going to metric.

• John 9a

I'm guestimating here and all in-ground:

Ponderosa lemons...getting swamped this year with over ten bushels (wild flying guess that's probably way under estimating as I have been picking now and then since November) from ten trees that are significantly producing. About ten more young trees making smaller quantities. I juiced five gallons of juice Saturday and froze most. I tried making lemon jelly using the seeds for a source of pectin. It tastes good but didn't set up. I'm picking the fruit into a contractor-size wheel barrow and probably have another load or two left in the trees. I put a box out by the road the other day with a free sign. Folks took about half. I think I can give away another big box or two and will have to either juice the rest or let it rot under the trees. I got into this predicament because the trees come up from seed and I just transplanted trees from the compost all over the yard. Now I'm needing to thin out the herd because I'm somewhere between swamped and commercial but don't have a market or the time to go commercial.

Satsumas....probably 4 bushels from two trees. I LOVE Satsumas!

Calamondin.....1/2 to 3/4 bushel from one large tree. This crazy tree is blooming now!

Kumquat......1/2 bushel from two trees. I eat off the tree, make a pie now and then, and freeze some puree' for later.

Meyer.......1/2 bushel from one small tree. I'm picking a few now and then for recipes.

Moro blood orange......32 fruit this year. Very tasty first crop and looking forward o seeing what it does this spring.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked John 9a
  • kcandmilo

Update: My washington navel orange has finally started producing, and is covered with fruit! I have been harvesting about 10 to 15 a day for about a week now. I think I have another week's worth left on the tree! Can't wait to start fertilizing it again!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked kcandmilo
  • Ike Stewart

Well overall it was a light year here, though still far more Satsumas than we can eat. One of my 3 mature Satsuma trees had a very light crop this year, alternate bearing, Another of the mature Satsumas got clobbered by a falling pine tree, the pine started leaning and had to be removed, and the expert tree removal guy just missed avoiding the Satsuma, taking out about half the tree and shaking most of the nearly mature fruit off. As to the smaller stuff, the 4th year Meyers doubled its crop to 36 lemons this year, and the Cara Cara planted in the spring of 2016 had its first crop ever with 37 oranges (it is also now about 7 ft tall (it was under 18 inches when planted in ground)). Oh the second year kumquat has 1 fruit on it this year, it had 6 or 7 last year.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Ike Stewart