Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathermmitch

Seams on counter tops

Business_Name_Placeholder
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I would like some opinions on the seam in my island and also the seams on the granite by my sink. I'm not happy with them I think they're way too noticeable. The color isn't right or something. I think the grain pattern is lined up pretty well though but it's also smack dab down the center of the island, where people will be seated.

The granite by the sink is already being replaced because they installed the wrong one so I get a do over automatically. Are two seams necessary?

Am I being ridiculous? Thank you for all of your opinions in advance!

Comments (11)

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Did you see the template of where seams were going to be before fabricating?
  • PRO
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nope! Was not even offered to me. Didn't know that that was a thing we should do.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Can we see a full shot of the kitchen? Did you buy one slab or two?
  • PRO
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    5 years ago

I am a fabricator. Your fabricator should have reviewed seam locations with your at the field measure. Were you present for the measure? The piece behind the sink can be one seam (seamed at the faucet hole) or two as yours is. Either way is generally acceptable. The seam inthe island has good grain transition but the color match on the seam adhesive is poor. Usually this can be improved after the original install.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    5 years ago

The island pattern match looks good. Most people would be very happy if they got a match up that good. Center of the island is as good as anywhere to seam it. With the variation in color of the stone, no one color for the seam adhesive is going to disappear.

If the perimeter is going to be redone, the fabricators we work with will NOT under any circumstance put a seam near a sink or over an open area (such as dishwasher, undercounter ice maker or undercounter frig/wine cooler). Some fabricators will and swear that it's okay. I would work with them to find a way to seam in another location that is less noticeable and receives less daily use.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5 years ago

Though the seam in the island looks good I question why there is a seam there, from the pics the island looks like it could have been done with a full single slab. For the sink double seam, not sure why that is not just a single seam in the center. If it had to be that way they should have mixed the epoxy a bit darker(black) so it was less obvious.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

How long is that island? I am surprised there is a seam at all.... and it really should have been discussed with you. Not sure why there are 2 seams at the sink... I think if the color was darker there you won't even notice them once you put your soap and a sponge holder etc there.

Good luck...

• PRO
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It appears that the whole process did not go as it should have. Our sales person should have done a lot of things that he didn’t and now he is no longer with the company. The darker top is getting replaced since it’s not the right one anyway. They are coming out on Friday and I will speak with them regarding the seam in the island. Thank you everyone for your help!
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

Without measurements I cannot say for sure but, it appears that 2 slabs would have been enough for your needs. One for the island (no seam) and another for the countertop (one French miter). I would have a conversation with the store owner or manager about this. I would not accept the current result even if purchased through a Big Box.