Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakotacharm

Cabinet paint coordination

dakotacharm
5 years ago

Can anyone recommend a white SW paint for kitchen cabinets and trim, a SW gray for the island that both go well with brass hardware? I have some BM paint colors I really like, but was told that SW won't match them perfectly and I think the cabinet company we are using only uses SW paint. Super frustrating. I'm not good at matching well. I just know what I want. White kitchen cabinets (was orginally thinking White Dove) with a soft gray island or navy island. but will brass hardware go well with any shade of white?

Comments (8)

• dakotacharm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you! I was originally thinking of Decorators White or Simply White for cabinets. I don't know if I should lean more warm white or bright white. I constantly see photos on Houzz of kitchens I love and I look for the colors they used. I want the trim to match the cabinets. We are moving into a house with lower ceilings than what we have now. Our ceilings will be 7'6 and we are knocking down some walls to make it more open, so I'm trying to use lighter colors for that reason. I want it to feel airy, but not stark. I love the brass hardware but is it ok to just keep the brass hardware in the kitchen area.... like can I still keep the nickel door knobs throughout the house? Thank you for your advice. We are on a tight budget and I can't afford a designer. I don't want to make any costly mistakes.

• PRO
    JE Interior Design, LLC
    5 years ago

So I prefer the bright white with brass. White Dove appears to have a bit more yellow undertone like the two I provided above. Decorators White is one of my favorites. I strongly recommend brining into SW and they will be able to match the color for you. You can leave just the kitchen brass. It is of course recommend you change out all hardware. We have a lot of clients changing out the door knobs to matte black as they integrate better room to room with brass and nickel. Navy and bright white also pairs great together and is definitely a great mix up the the traditional grey and white match up. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Happy to help!

dakotacharm thanked JE Interior Design, LLC
  • dakotacharm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ok, I'll find out from the cabinet company how much of an upcharge it is to have them match a paint color that I prefer. They do have White which is pretty white, and they have a navy and a very dark (almost black) navy. I'll compare the "white" sample cabinet I have to the Decorators White tomorrow. The matte black knobs is a great idea! I will look into that also. And I'll look at the nickel hardware as well. Everywhere I look around Boston I see white cabinets and white subway tile with the shiny silver hardware and I just wanted to be a little different, but not too too trendy. I appreciate all of your help. You are so kind!!

• dakotacharm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good afternoon! :) So we decided to go with Showplace Cabinets. My BIL sells them, and gave us such a discount that they were significantly less than our quote from DuraSupreme. And he will give us great customer service as well. He knows the product well as he has been using them in all of the homes he builds. So he sent me home with some color samples. I have been looking at the several shades of white that they come in. I have it narrowed down to Pure White, White II, Extra White and Soft Cream (which seems too yellow, but maybe that is because all the others look so much whiter.). I know for sure I want a different colored island. They have Hale Navy and Naval (a little more vibrant). For grays they have Dorian Gray, Dove Tail and then they get darker. I like the transitional look. We may only be in this new (old) home a few years and may sell later. We bought this house bc we needed to move to a better suburb for families and better schools. It may not be our forever home but I want to love it while we are there. :) I can get the white cabinet color matched for the trim, or I can choose a BM color I like (ex. Decorators White) and Showplace will match it, but it will be an upcharge. So although it's an option, if I add that, I'll have to cut cost somewhere else. We closed on the house yesterday, and my husband and a demo guy noticed by poking some holes in the ceiling, that the previous owners lowered the ceilings for some reason, so we quite possible will end up with higher ceilings in the kitchen and dining room! he is looking into that further today, but we both think it would be fantastic, if we will actually be able to go from 7'6 foot ceilings to 8'3!!! Hoping for that! Headed to the paint store now to see how close Decorators white is to any of these cabinet samples.

• PRO
    JE Interior Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Sorry, I have not been on in a few days! How did the paint store work out for you?

• dakotacharm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi!! It's ok. The paint store was a little daunting at first bc the lighting was not good and it was a gloomy day in Boston so the natural light wasn't great. I came home with several "whites" and one of the Ben Moore "Gentle Whites' paint brochure. I was able to match a cabinet white sample with Decorators White. I hope that is a safe choice. It seems by my research and blogs that it is a popular white for trim. I hope so. So the showplace cabinet white is called "extra white" and I would use the Decorators White for trim throughout the house. We are definitely gaining 9 more inches of ceiling in the kitchen and living and even more in the dining room. We are planning on honed carrara marble for the counter tops. I still really like the brass hardware, because I like the softness and warmth it brings to a white kitchen. So I'm just trying to decide on the Hale Navy island for sure or to stick with white, and my other decision is the backsplash...I like the all white shiny subway, but maybe shiny won't look good with the honed. Maybe honed subway is safer? Thoughts? Also, any ideas for a soft color in the entry way and adjoining hallway and up the stairs? I was thinking of Paper White by BM? too light?

• dakotacharm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, because we have a couple support beams, one being right in the kitchen, we may just tie it in to a coffered ceiling in the kitchen. Do you think with our 8'3 ceilings we can just opt out of pendants above the island? I find I am constantly dusting the ones I have now, but I know it does at a bit of character to a kitchen. All of the ones I look at that I can afford...I don't totally love, and the ones Iove, like from Perigold and Hinkley, are a bit out of our budget. Do you think the coffered ceiling is pretty enough to go without pendants? I think I would still have one above the sink perhaps.