mabeldingeldine

Reveal: Budget DIY Ikea Kitchen

mabeldingeldine
last modified: November 24, 2018

Our countertops went in on Monday, Thursday we hosted Thanksgiving dinner. Preparing the meal was so nice with the new space and layout.

We purchased a 2-family home as an investment property in August 2016, planning to live in it while finding our downsize/retirement home or building one in 5-10 years. Purchase negotiations included spousal agreement that there would be a new kitchen before a new garage was constructed. We did all but the flooring and electrical work ourselves over 2 years.

BEFORE

Before we moved in we had the flooring replaced throughout the main living area, dismantling the island and non-functioning bar sink to do so and reconfiguring it to one long run of cabinets. We also replaced the leaking faucets and the horrid cheezy double bowl sink with a large universal mount single bowl Elkay.

Over the winter we found a new, never installed KA convection wall oven for $500, and later in the spring, an unused GE Profile 36" induction cooktop for $550. That summer, the poorly designed pantry closet was dismantled in favor of an IKEA pantry and wall oven cabinets, and the range wall redesigned for an IKEA cooktop cabinet.

DURING

Finally, in July 2018, we hit IKEA on the first day of the kitchen sale and purchased the rest of the needed cabinetry, and started the next day.

We had help from Pixel.

and Lexi P.

We finished at the end of August, just in time for me to start a new job, and hubs to get back to another year of teaching. Just needed the countertops and a few trim pieces.

AFTER

As it looks today:

Total cost: $7,225

IKEA cabinets, Askersund doors, & drawer inserts, etc $2,900

IKEA Ekby Jarpen shelves in birch

LG HiMacs solid surface countertop, Ice Queen, $3100 installed

Elkay Crosstown 33" stainless sink

Bosch dishwasher $650

GE Profile 36" induction cooktop $550

Kitchen Aid 30" convection oven $500

Samsung 36" SxS counter depth fridge $1800

CoreTec LVP flooring

Globe Electric pendants (from Amazon Warehouse open box $25 ea)

Corrugated steel for backsplash from CL, $30

Wall paint, Sherwin Williams Spa trim paint West Highland White

Feel free to ask questions!

EDITED TO ADD:

Danze Parma sink faucet, pullout, $25 from H4H ReStore.

And, there is still some trim work on the wall oven, behind the sink, and on the Island, a few drawers to adjust, and our son will come in to do some ceiling repair and paint the ceiling soon. Or so he tells me.

• chicagoans

Congrats! It looks wonderful! And how fun to host Thanksgiving in your new kitchen.

mabeldingeldine thanked chicagoans
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

That looks fantastic. I love everything you did and clearly there is a happy kitty in the house, so all is right with the world. Congratulations on a job so well done.

PS I love your faucet. Do you like it? Who makes it?

mabeldingeldine thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • mabeldingeldine

Oh, I forgot! That is a never used Danze Parma from the local Habitat 4H ReStore, we paid $25.

• ostrich

mabelingeldine, you did a great job with this transformation! Love how modern and sleek this looks... and so cost effective!!! Congrats!

mabeldingeldine thanked ostrich
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

How did I not see this in November?! Looks fabulous, mabel, hope you enjoyed the heck out of your wonderful new kitchen through all of the holidays.

mabeldingeldine thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • nosoccermom

Looks amazing. Askersund is one of my favorite kitchen fronts.

mabeldingeldine thanked nosoccermom
  • mabeldingeldine

Thanks! I'd originally planned for Brokhult, a grayed walnut, but it was discontinued, and I am so glad it was, because I really love the Askersund fronts.

• roarah

Wow this is stunning!

mabeldingeldine thanked roarah
  • m_gabriel
    Such a pretty, happy space!! I love the Askersund, too - we used those fronts for an extra long bath vanity and I love it every time I see it.
    mabeldingeldine thanked m_gabriel
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Wow, wow and WOW. What a great job you guys did. I wish I had the imagination to do something like that!

Plus Pixel has the most adorable face!

mabeldingeldine thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • mabeldingeldine

Wow, thanks for the compliment roarah and raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio, I've learned a lot from you both over the years, so kudos from you mean a lot! Pixel is a glamour puss, that's for sure, and she knows it.