0

Do Buckeyes Use Lowe's Snapdragons?

MissSherry

I found some nice looking snapdragons at Lowe's in the "Reduced" section - I paid a whole dollar for 12 of them. My sister's daughter-in-law said her snapdragons live all through the winter and don't start to die until the weather gets hot the next year after she plants them. I'm hoping that will be the case with these, hoping that buckeyes might lay eggs on them next spring. The books list many different host plants for buckeyes, like wild members of the snapdragon family, plantain, butterfly bush, lantana, etc., but I've never found them on anything but Agalinis and Seymeria, two wild members of the snapdragon family that usually grow near each other on dry sites.

Anybody ever found buckeye cats on commercially grown snapdragons?

Sherry

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s a really great deal! I haven’t grown them in a couple of years. Something did eat them, but I never checked closely what it was. Would be interested to know.

MissSherry thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • MissSherry

Iris, I planted them Saturday, and we're predicted to have our first freeze of the year. I hope they last until next summer, and buckeyes use them. I saw several buckeyes here last summer.

Sherry

• caterwallin

Sherry, I wish I knew if they'd use those particular snapdragons, but I don't know for sure. I either start my own snapdragons from seed or buy the plants from a local greenhouse. I had some short snapdragons here one year and a tall kind and I remember that the buckeyes preferred the shorter ones. Since that I've only been planting shorter ones that get a foot tall at the most and have gotten buckeyes again, but now for some reason or other I haven't had any visiting buckeyes the past few years and didn't find any eggs on the snapdragon plants. I've had other plants (Verbena hastata) here that are buckeye hosts but had no luck finding any eggs or cats on them. I have since taken them out because I wasn't too keen on how tall them got (I think it was at least 7 feet and how I'd always have to stake them up only to have them fall over again. Sorry I couldn't tell you about the Lowe's dragons but I wanted to let you know that it was possible for me to get the buckeyes laying here, so you just never know. Besides, at the price you got them for and how pretty snapdragons get, I'd say you can't lose.

Cathy

MissSherry thanked caterwallin
  • MissSherry

Not only have the snapdragons not died this winter, Cathy, they've actually grown and bloomed off and on. We're starting a warm spell, so they'll probably grow and bloom more. I imagine they'll die back in summer, won't be able to take the heat. But if I find buckeye cats on them this spring, they'll have done their job!

I may try to dig up some roadside Agalinis when they start coming up in early summer, since I've found a good dry spot in this yard for dry soil loving plants. Agalinis is definitely the favorite buckeye host plant here. 'Also want to transplant some cudweed and/or rabbit's tobacco to that dry, sunny area. 'Can't wait for spring, it's nearly here! I even saw a sleepy orange today!

Sherry

• caterwallin

It sounds like your snapdragons like this winter, Sherry. Mine, of course, do well and flower nicely early on, in May and June for sure, but then when the weather gets so darn hot up here, they don't do as well. I had buckeyes here one year when the snapdragon leaves had seen their better days and I was really scrambling to find them decent leaves to eat, as I had brought them inside. I don't get to see buckeyes that often (common, it is not...not here anyway), so I didn't want to chance something getting them outside.

I really hope that your snapdragons continue to do well and that they will attract some buckeyes for you. A lot of mine come up from seeds that fell the previous year and I also buy some to make up for the gaps between the ones coming up on their own from seed that fell in the garden Maybe yours will come up from seed too? Whatever host plant(s) they choose, I hope that they can't resist stopping at your place.

MissSherry thanked caterwallin