Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enneaj

Help me choose tile and a vanity please!

Jeanne S
5 years ago

Hello Houzzers,

I am renovating a shower room in a holiday rental apartment. The bathroom is basically nothing more than a corridor. It measures roughly 2.8 ft X 13ft with 10ft ceilings, excluding the shower niche on the right of the picture.

I plan to rip out the vanity, tile both walls, and retile the horrible black pebbles in the shower tray.

The beige floor tiles stay.

Choice of vanity

I want to replace the existing vanity which measures 17 inches X 51 inches.

I am thinking of buying the compact turquoise vanity in the picture which measures 13 inches X 39 inches. I don’t need much storage, just a place to put rolls of toilet paper and a hair dryer so the one drawer would be enough. What do you think?

Wall Tile

What type and color wall tile should I buy? Should it be placed horizontally? How high on the wall should I tile? I want something that will not feel dated too quickly. My main objective is to reduce the corridor effect but I would also like to brighten the room.

Paint for the wall
What color should I paint the remaining wall over the tile? Should I try to match the tile color or have a contrast?

Shower tray
The beige wall tile in the shower will remain. I plan to tile over the horrible pebbles painted black. The tilers I have seen say it is feasible. What type of tile would you suggest? I want something simple, that will not show dirt and hard water spots.

Unfortunately I am keeping the black pebble border on the wall tiles (too much money to replace all the wall tile in the shower). I thought to paint it the same color as the shower tray. What do you think?

This new thread replaces an older one from 2017 where I was looking for inexpensive cosmetic changes. I decided it was better to save up and do a proper renovation.

Many many thanks to those of you that have already helped and to those of you who will offer new advice! Jeanne

Comments (51)

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

I think you are still trying to put lipstick on a pig. Don't tile over another tile n a shower, please.i

Jeanne S thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

In addition to the new vanity there will be a new mirror and light. The current vanity is in very poor condition and can not remain.

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Why do you think that I need a whole new shower?

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I can not keep the current walls and backsplash. The prior owner put decorative stucco over the existing wall tile. We are ripping out the stucco and existing wall tile and will start from scratch.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    The floor is horrible looking and probably a pain to clean - yes? Any tiler telling you you can go over the pebble tiles is just a hack - guaranteed fail not to mention will look awful. Knowing you are demolishing the whole vanity wall = just do it all right or not at all.
    Jeanne S thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh yes! The floor is a nightmare to clean. I will love having a flat surface to clean after the work.

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any ideas on tile? on a vanity?

• Hill W
    5 years ago
    Following
    Jeanne S thanked Hill W
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have chosen white glossy rectangular tiles and will create one or two vertical bands with a caramel colored tile to try to break up the corridor effect. If I am daring enough I may paint the wall above the tile in Farrow and Ball Blazer Red.
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Keep it clean and bright - and no red walls please with that turquoise vanity. This is a rental - no? This bathroom has some similar characteristics that may inspire you to keep it simple
    Vanillawood · More Info
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    If you want to add an accent with that turquoise vanity I’d stay away from caramel but maybe consider a soft yellow like this shot.
    Yellow and Turquoise Bathroom · More Info

A color statement at the far back wall will help alleviate the bowling alley - but no stripes please.
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry - I forgot to mention that I decided to go for a simple white vanity with no handles.

My first instinct as well was to keep it simple - white paint above the tiles, but I am afraid that it will look like a hospital !

I have already bought the white glossy and caramel tiles. So the color scheme is taupe and white for the moment. What to do as paint above the tiles? There is a height of 50 inches so a big impact.

Thanks for the input - keep the good ideas coming!
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The plan is to put the caramel tiles behind the vanity, since whites never match.

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Excellent idea to put color on the end of the room to reduce the bowling alley effect! I shall paint it taupe.

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My clumsy attempt at a mood board!

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Is the floor going to be the taupe as well?
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    I ask because I thought you were going to reuse your existing tile floor in the room. If so, that taupe tile does not work - the floor is more cool grey. The floor pattern you have also reinforces the bowling alley in the way the tiles are laid. Best to just redo that as well if you are going to all this expense. The tile can then be turned which will help reduce the bowling alley. I have to say those taupe tiles are very commercial looking and a bit too dark for the walls. Stick w the white wall tile and use the taupe for the floor only.
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    As for use of color - this yellow is a bit bold and knowing you aren’t doing the turquoise you could really do any color. But why not tile the whole wall behind the vanity similar to this - with white wall tile elsewhere and the grey or taupe floor (run in the short direction). It will be one block of color that will be very striking and will help with your concern for clashing whites. I’m not crazy about the red wall above a half wall of tile - especially if it’s that taupe.
    Purple Sage · More Info
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm starting to think that the band of red is a bad idea too. I think it might reinforce the bowling alley effect. I am keeping the taupe floor tile as is. I know it is laid in the wrong way but I just do not have enough money to rip it up and start over.

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The "caramel" color tile actually goes nicely with the floor tile - I tried in the bathroom before buying it.

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Such a complicated room - design tricks to reduce the bowling alley effect then hightlight the high ceilings...

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Work began yesterday (Monday)! I will keep you posted -:)

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Not sure about the yellow, but I do love the idea of tiling behind the vanity.

Jeanne S thanked Designer Drains
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks. It’s reassuring to know I’m on the right track for that part! I am thinking of placing two vertical bands of taupe on the long wall, in the hope that they will attenuate the bowling alley effect.
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Designer Drains, I love your beautiful drain products!
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I need to decide the paint color for the wall above the tile. The ceiling stays white. Suggestions very welcome! Thanks a million.
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    An idea of what white would look like
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    An idea of what grey would like like
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    An idea of what taupe would look like
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Any ideas?
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Please no more grey or taupe. What are you doing on the vanity wall? If that is neutral (like the taupe) then consider a very soft misty bluish grey tone. Like a hazy sky. Just to add some color and soften it up. If you are doing a color on the vanity wall then I’d leave everything up above the tile a white to match your vanity.
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The wall tile is glossy white, with taupe tile behind the white vanity. Thanks once again for your ideas -:)
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm using Paint so it's difficult to get the right shade of blue.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Something like this in feel
    Beach Style Bathroom · More Info
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ooh yes that is beautiful !
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are the finished pictures of my bathroom renovation.

I am delighted with the results. The bathroom is bright and welcoming, with lots of space for renters to put their toiletries. The shower is a dream to clean.

Many, many thanks to all you Houzzers who helped me! It is much appreciated.

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    That looks a lot better Jeanne! May I suggest one tweak? The wood shelving unit is a bit deep for the narrowness of the room. What if you did a tall row of wall mounted shelves like this - they could start 12” above the floor and even go higher than the mirror in order to give you the storage you need. Just a thought to help visually widen the room :)
    Craftsman Cool · More Info
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Correction - maybe do 4 shelves centered on each grout line (so not higher than the mirror).
  • Jeanne S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yet another good idea! Many thanks, Thingdesinglive, for guiding me through my renovation.