Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaporvac

Free Association! Who is the poster child for which rose?

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

It's funny how certain people represent a certain rose in my mind.... for KarenR bush CG! For Moses, it's Quietness, for Zepphyrose it was Viking Queen. Lisa is Mel's Heritage. Lilyfinch is Flamenco Rosita, Jim used to be Thomas Affleck, but now is Miracle on the Hudson, CoriAnn was probably Mme. Anisette, I'm probably New Dawn or The Fairy, but haven't really honed in on one yet, and I don't think one can really judge for onself.

; ) What rose do you associate with someone? They can be entirely different to mine; it will be fun to compare.

Comments (45)

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

What a fun subject! I’ll have to think about some, but agree with yours. I always associate Ingrid with Souvenir de la Malmaison and Potter and Moore. Lisa

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Lisa Adams
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Jeri’s a hard one. Maybe Jesse Hildreth? Lisa

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, definitely JH for Jeri and P&M for Ingrid! ; ) Good call!

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Vap. I actually associate Climbing Clotilde Soupert with you:) Julia Child and Colette with Diane. L

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Diane (nanadoll), has to be to be the poster child for Julia Child and Evelyn.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

No, no, no. I associate Diane with Augusta Luise!!

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Trish, I think of Marie van Houtte when I think of you (and Galah birds).

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

vaporvac has already mentioned the ones I had thought of, and for Cori Ann it's Rubens, for Sheila Mme. Lambard (or really just tea roses because of her wonderful tea rose borders), for Jeri also Lady Ann Kidwell, for Lisa also Annie Laurie McDowell (because she wanted one so badly), for seil Julia Child, for Rick (rideau lad) Monyneux, for titian also Mme. Lambard.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • User
    5 years ago

Potter and Moore for Ingrid

Grandmother's Hat or Elisabeth's China for Jeri

I wish I followed the forum enough to have more associations.

I wonder which rose each of us would pick to be our signature one? I honestly don't think I could pick mine yet.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Those are good ones Ingrid! It's funny, I think Diane is the poster child for all of the Roses that she grows! Now who is it that grows all of the zephys? I do have a soft spot for climbing klotild. Beth has some Beauties also but I can't think of which one's off-hand as hers are so unusual.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I pick KO! The richest rose in the world! Lol

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

, Ingrid, I'm having a brain cramp on yours. It's that gorgeous deep pink climbing polyantha. I so want it but I don't know if it's Hardy for me.

• User
    5 years ago

Vaporvac, do you mean Aunt Margy's Rose? That one, too, I associate with Ingrid. It seems like it's easier to associate someone with a rose that few others grow.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes! That's the one. Thanks for the memory jog. Does anyone else grow that Rose?

Original Author
    5 years ago

My avatar is New Dawn but only because somehow I can always take good pictures of her.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

You’re so right, Summers! Augusta Luise for Diane for sure. What was I thinking?

Trish, why do I think of William R. Smith when I think of you? Do you even grow him, or is it because I remember you calling him “Bill” and I thought it was so cute? Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Although she’s on the other site now, I’ll always associate Carol from Canada,(who overwintering her roses in pots, in her garage) with Chandos Beauty.

Of course! Kristine with Olivia Rose Austin! Lisa

Original Author
    5 years ago

Sometimes I associate coryann with munstead wood as she's the only person on this site that didn't like it and got rid of it. Remember how it was orange for her?. I miss Carol. I think she's happy on the other site because they have so many emojis! Lol! :-)

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I think of potter and moore, and Aunt Margy's rose for Ingid, Grandmothers hat for Jeri. Ellen tofflemire for Carol from portland. Cori Ann, I just think of her beautiful creativity! She made a beautiful garden, I don't have the creativity she has. Lisa I dont associate with a rose but shes just so sweet! Her and her Gardener! Diane grows such beautiful purple Rose's, and poppies! Melissa, both of them gallicas ;) That's all I can think of for now..

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Alana8aSC
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

flowers, of course! How could I forget?!

Lisa, I do have WRS (though maybe not for too much longer), but it was Diane who first called him Bill.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

And I totally agree, Ingrid is forever associated in my mind with SdlM and Potter and Moore.

And Lisa with Mel's Heritage.

flowers, I have to say pine needles!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

BenT, Neil Diamond

Sheila ,Grandmother's Hat

Moses, Quietness

Nanadoll, Ascot

Ingrid, Potter and Moore

Lisa, Annie Laurie McDowell

Ann, Propero

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Sheila, Rosette Delizy

5 years ago

Jim Miracle on the Hudson

Karen. Her beautiful Crimson Glory

5 years ago

Trish, I got a good laugh out of that! I've been known to have pine needles stuck to my clothes and sticking out of my hair.

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    5 years ago

Krista: Eglantyne, Mme. Isaac Periere, Stanwell Perpetual

Ingrid: SdlM, La France, Aloha

Lisa: Mel’s Heritage

mad_gallica: Baltimore Belle, Quadra

Marlorena: Kew Gardens, Thomas à Becket

Jeri: Grandmother's Hat

Diane (nanadoll): Evelyn

Sheila: La Reine

Kristine: Julia Child

I've been admiring roses of many GW members and their photos inspired me to get some, I know that the list of members who influenced my view on particular roses is much longer, and there are more roses I would associate with each member on this list, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

My only two for sures are

Moses-Quietness

Ingrid-SdlM

and now my ulcer and I must go back to this freaking football game...

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ha! I associate Krista with ALL Austins afters seeing her in action on the ID games!;))

• Rosefolly
    5 years ago

Jackie is associated in my mind with her magnificent Anna Olivier. Other roses too, but that one first of all.

Rosefolly

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Rosefolly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

StrawChicago always reminds me of Tchaikovsky.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Vapor, I too grow Aunt Margy's Rose because of Ingrid, but mine is a baby now half eaten by a rabbit. I have caged it of course, after the fact. I hope it grows for me anyway. I think of SdlM with Ingrid, even though Tea roses are my love thanks to Ingrid. Diane it is Ascot and the DA beauties she grows. Nik is Orfeo. Where are you Nik? Jeri is Jesse Hildreth and Grandmother's Hat. I'm with Flowers about Cori Ann hating MW being memorable. I've got to go to bed, there are so many who have shared great ideas.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

I would say Diane for Colette and Ascot,

Cori ann for recommending Peach Swirl (now one of my all time favs!),

Jeri for geez so many great ones, but I'm gonna say Grandmother's Hat and the lovely Lady Ann Kidwell that reminds me of beautiful Christmas bows!

Lily for Teasing Georgia which I also have and love.

So many others here for both special roses and all the shared stories, help, and information!!

My grandmother ♡ for Gloire de Rosomanes her all time favorite rose. She was still a rose gardener when she passed at 100!!

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

That’s so neat, Sultry! Do you grow it, in her honor?

Vap, I associate StrawChicago with Dee-Lish. I don’t care for the name ‘Dee-Lish’, but I’m growing Dee-Lish because of her recommendation. There are lots of nicer names for this rose, but Dee-Lish has stuck in my head. I’ve been trying to call it ‘Forget -Me-Not’, but it’s too late. I still keep calling it Dee-Lish. Lisa

Original Author
    5 years ago

OH, yes! That one too! She had so many unusual ones such as Big Purple that she loved! I associate Mirandy and Crimson Glory with Khalid because hardly anyone else grows those two. He had some beauties. I miss his posts a lot. For Sam it was both VikingQueen and Quietness as he grew them both to perfection in a true Z4 setting. He didn't have many roses, but what he had thrived and were so artfully arranged. Those were my main peeps on the Organic RoseForum. It's quiet over there these days.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Lisa, yes I do. She always called it her 'wild rose' lol. BTW I have 3 Princess Charlene de Monaco roses that I love, because of the ones you posted that you grow! :) I might get a few more this spring. She smells so good!

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Question, and this is off topic, but while I'm thinking of it, those of you who grow multiples of a rose, do you grow them together, like a hedge, or scatter them around your garden or rose beds?

5 years ago

I will have a multiple of 3 and then the same rose in a different location but still visable from the 3. It draws the eye around the yard.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Sultry, we all want to be like your grammy! I think gardening keeps one young as there's always next year to plan! ; ) Kristine, I do the same with multiples.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Flowers, I grow two's and three's of a number of roses, but they are all scattered around my small yard with the exception of a row of three Evelyn roses. I have big roses in a small yard, and that kind of limits placing a lot of them in a group.

Kristine, are the roses in your groups of three very large? I would think in your wonderful climate the roses would grow quite large.

Vapor, are you referring to Sam in the Adirondacks? He posted regularly in the seasonal threads for a long time. He had a cute rabbit that hung out in his garden both winter and summer. I remember Jim named the rabbit. Sam was very particular, and the things he grew were lovely. One day, before the Houzz problems occurred, he just stopped posting, and I miss him. Loved his photos of the Saratoga Racetrack. I also miss Sara-Ann and her spectacular roses. Is she posting on the "other" thread? Come back, Sara-Ann, and you, too, fragrancenutter. I hope both of you (and Sam) are doing well. We need more of your gorgeous photos. Diane

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Now, back on topic. I love this thread, vapor, and have been enjoying it for several days. Here a some of my free associations:

Flowers, I can't get your Rouge Royale out of my head. Tell me your secret of how you grow this stunner. My RR could take a few lessons from yours. But there isn't a rose you grow--or hydrangea, that isn't beautiful.

Trish, I think of Bill, and of that magical jacaranda tree that sits in the center of one of your gardens. How I wish I could grow that. Plus, of course, there is your balustrade, and all the lovely levels of your garden--95 steps between them.

Kristine, like others, I remember your outstanding and lovely Olivia Rose Austin. And your blue blue delphs.

Ingrid, there are many exquisite roses in your garden that I associate with you--SdlM, le Vesuve, and, of course, Potter and Moore. Then there is the dreamy sea lavender, which I covet, not to mention, the precious porcelain that sets off the rose bouquets.

Jim, really grows outstanding red Double Knockouts. They always look great and never seen to be out of bloom. He also grows some nice cats--ha--and a cute doggy.

Sultry Jasmine grows a great crop of rose dwelling tiny froggies and just about every luscious tropical plant you can think of. Oh, those brugmansias!

I love Lisa's Mels Heritage--it's mind blowing. And so precious are all the little blue flowers that make their way into Lisa's fabulous bouquets. She grows a mean Evelyn, too, among many other roses.

I'm going to have to continue this tomorrow. There are so many more rose associations to mention. Diane

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Diane, the group of threes are floribundas so they stay manageable.

You are right, things can get big here.

3 Julia Childs are a divider between us and the neighbors and the forth JC is in front of the house .

The new planting bed will have three Desdamona and a forth is i. A different planting bed but visable from where the other 3 are planted.

I guess I just like flow

5 years ago

Kristine, that sounds like an artistic way to handle multiples. Mine have not worked out as successfully. Those that I've planted close together to approximate one big bush have had to be moved. I don't think I have the hang of it. Most of my multiples are scattered about as Diane's are, except for her Evelyns. The scent of those three together must be like heaven.

Diane, you are too, too kind about Rouge Royale. I barely watered her last season so I can take no credit. Following your lead, I gave her a couple shovelfuls of manure this fall, so I hope she will respond with more blooms next year.

5 years ago

Agree about your Rouge Royal, what an inincredible color ! I love those reds!

5 years ago

So sweet of you, Kristine. I think I just happened to get a good one. It was a band planted fall of '17, that took off like a beanstalk, and about as wide for most of the year. She has strong canes that don't flop, not that I'm against flopping, but for those who like upright roses, RR is one to consider.

I like your's and vapor's idea of planting a few of the same together, then another within sight of the group.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor