0

Stairs for rooftop deck

jenwinston73
We are going to build a new room with access to a rooftop deck (which will have an amazing view). I notice most pictures have spiral stairs on the outside of the house. We are thinking of putting in regular stairs on the inside as they seem safer...especially for older guests. I was looking online for something similar and can’t really find it. What happens at the top of the stairs? We don’t have room for an indoor area. So it would just need to be a door opening up to the deck. Are there any photos on here that show something like this?
  • acm

If you have regular stairs, you need to have a shed on the roof for them to emerge into, with a regular upright door for exiting to the deck.

Vincent Terrace · More Info

(doesn't have to be glass or as large as this example.)

I think I've seen old houses where the stairwell ends in a sort of large trap door in the ceiling, which then opens to the roof, but I'm not sure those would pass code anymore.

• jenwinston73
    @acm - have you seen examples of these sheds with an upright door that are not glass? We are thinking of something like that but haven’t come across any images. Maybe I’m not searching the correct term. I just don’t want it to look ugly from the outside.