Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_pierson

Kitchen Cabinets

A P
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all! I'm struggling with my kitchen cabinets. The builder recently designed a kitchen

(photo attached) but you will see that there is a random skinny cabinet to the right of the oven/range/hood. Is this a big deal? Is there something I could do differently? The stove and island are fixed, and the fridge is somewhat limited because of it's depth. THANK YOU!

Comments (24)

• A P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Photo!
  • mimimomy
    5 years ago

Really pretty kitchen. I don't think it's random, it's to match the other side. I would probably have skipped that cupboard and 1/2 of the cupboard to the left, just because I don't like crowding a beautiful hood. But it would definitely not look right in my opinion, to just leave the right hand cabinet off.

• BT
    5 years ago

Where? I see base B24 cabinet 24" depth and wall W30x42"x12" [or 15"] and 18" topper. Is your issue with Wall 12" depth that you think is too narrow?

• A P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's the one 1/2 set of cabinets sandwiched between the hood and the fridge that I feel unsure about, but i also have no idea how to fix!! What do you think?

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    5 years ago

You're noticing it more because your kitchen isn't finished and pulled together. Put your appliances, furniture and accessories in, and this "problem" (which isn't really a problem) will disappear. ;)

Beautiful kitchen!

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

There's really nothing to fix. It's just a matter of preference. I think your kitchen looks fab!

• rockybird
    5 years ago

Is this your kitchen? The cabinet doesnt bother me at all. It all looks great. Once the fridge is in, I think that cabinet will be minimized.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

If this is not your kitchen and in a model the builder built for someone else, I would have the hood (6” wider than the cooktop/range is best) centered in an opening between two two-door uppers....make the two-door cabs wider if needed. That will give you symmetry that you seem to like. If it is in your model, your builder is not going to make those kind of changes at this stage.

What is the black appliance(?) under the two-door cab closest to the hood? It looks like it is right next to a range or cooktop.

Word if caution....if that’s your countertop, make them put some plastic and cardboard on it ASAP!

• K R
    5 years ago
    Looks great. I agree once the fridge is in it will look much better and you won’t notice it feeling unbalanced.
  • A P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all! The reason we can't center the hood is that the stove is centered to the island, and the fridge is too deep to go on the other side. Everyone's making me feel a lot better though that this isn't a huge glaring error that will haunt me forever ;)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    5 years ago

We have a small cabinet too. Use it for mugs, cups,saucers and a couple odds n ends. It’s the same size as the other side, which is half of a corner cabinet

• rockybird
    5 years ago

As I said before, I think it looks great, especially with the fridge in place. You could consider open shelving there too, but not sure if that would be better or worse.

• PRO
    Kitchen Designs by Decor
    5 years ago
    It still looks balanced even though there are 4 doors on the left because of the extra visual weight the fridge cabinet adds. I also like that all 5 doors are similar in width. I think open shelves would throw off the balance.
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Balance and symmetry are highly over-rated in a kitchen. A cabinet that is actually a useable size is far more important.

And I would NOT have a builder design my kitchen! That’s where one needs a kitchen designer.

• PRO
    Kitchen Designs by Decor
    5 years ago

The cabinet to the right of the hood seems to be at least 15" wide which is usable IMO. A functional kitchen can be aesthetically pleasing and when both function and balance are achieved, that's when you have excellent design.

• A P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Y'all are great! One follow-up question... would you leave the cabinet height as is or bring to the ceiling? This is another house by my same builder with the same kitchen layout (and ceiling heights). I'm a stage behind in the process, so I can still adjust cabinet height but would love your input.

Thanks!

• PRO
    Kitchen Designs by Decor
    5 years ago

I'd built up the crown moulding with a [stacked moulding[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/our-projects-kitchens-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~699566) to the ceiling. The cabinets are quite tall already and you'd require a ladder to reach any higher. As it is, you'll need a step stool.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

something tells me to leave as is

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

or stacked moulding as Kitchen Designs suggests..but they did the same job with the hood so looks very natural together. a hood reads a part of.

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

I think that it looks wonderful just the way it is!

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    5 years ago

As someone here already mentioned, your countertops need protection immediately. It seems the countertops are quartz so they are more resistant to scratches than granite or quartzite but you should definitely protect it to keep its looks and performance.

Regarding cabinets, I think you will love this particular cabinet as it seems it will be very handy for everyday items like glasses and cups. Your kitchen already looks beautiful.

• Sam Goh
    5 years ago

Think it's all personal preference. There are lots of lengthy threads about the dust catchers, etc. We went with what the kitchen place mentioned upthread and did all the way to the ceiling along with a cabinet hood situation. Like it a lot better than the old multi-height version that we had in the last house, but again this is just personal preference.

• RTHawk
    5 years ago

Go with The Kitchen's Place's recommendation to use a canopy hood. I think it's those tiny triangular negative spaces between the cabinets and the hood (both left and right sides of the hood) that is bothering you. With a canopy, those blank spaces will be gone and the skinny cabinet to the right of the hood won't look isolated. Make sure the hood is wider than the stove by 3 inches on each side. And yes, bring the cabinets all the way up to the ceiling.